How do you change an alternator on a ML 270cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PAUL R

Car
Golf SV GT,Polo SEL (gone) ML270 CDI (gone)SLK230 (gone)
Like the title says,

Are there any pictures avaliable as a step by step process.

Thank you in advance :)

Well......

Its a real pain. Unless your pretty competant don't attempt it. It a 'water cooled' alternator (and also helps the engine to warm up more quickly).

They weigh a ton and have a water seal which buts up against the block and a water feed pipe that feeds from the top. The seal must remain undamaged when fitted otherwise it will leak.

When you fit it make sure you get a new seal. Ive got one if you want it.

I have fitted about 5 of them and really do not like doing them.

Hope this helps

Well......

Its a real pain. Unless your pretty competant don't attempt it. It a 'water cooled' alternator (and also helps the engine to warm up more quickly).

They weigh a ton and have a water seal which buts up against the block and a water feed pipe that feeds from the top. The seal must remain undamaged when fitted otherwise it will leak.

When you fit it make sure you get a new seal. Ive got one if you want it.

I have fitted about 5 of them and really do not like doing them.

Hope this helps

Thanks this does help,:)
Its one of thoese times i wished someone lived closer to us,So that i could trust our steed to them,for repairs.
Or lived on the south coast, and offered you the job.;)
Unfortunatly there seems to be very little in local repairers around the Cannock Chase area,
unless you go to the main dealers,nobody seems to take on MB work ? :confused:

As for the seal i'll drop you a pm

Paul - see PM - I spoke to the Tech who did mine and he said it is a right **at of a job....

Mike

:eek: I'll Take his word for it :eek:

Not a job to be done by a novice then ;)

Job done,It turned out to be the drive pulley on the alternator, and they said it was a clutch type :confused:

Thanks to BlackC55 with his valuable advise and assistance.

May i add a valued forum member for helping us to save beer tokens,Cheers :)

Can anyone give me a part number for a MB 270ML alternator pulley ??? Do I need special tools to replace it ???

You don't need a part number. Just call the local mb dealer and quote them then chassis number and they will order it for you.

Or quote your reg to Euro Car Parts and they will do the same.

Is the alternator pulley a common failure? What are the signs to look out for? A noisy poly-v-belt, when cold?

Yes it's a common failure on most new alternators on all vehicles.
Look out for noisy belt & you can normally see if vibrating, a lot of people mistake the symptoms & go for the tensioner first & find they still have the same problem.
Always advised to replace the belt at the same time.

Alternator tool

I have purchased a set of clutch pulley tools to change the pulley on the 270ML. The outer splined tool fits but not very tight and inside tool is too big. Marked as a M1o spline. . . . should these work ????:bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom