How important to wait until the glow plugs light goes off before starting CDI engine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgow

Car
W231 SL500, W211 E280, W124 E300, W171 SLK200
My first diesel car (W211, 2005 E280 CDI). Sometime I forget to wait until the glow plugs light goes off before I start the engine.

What is the risk of me (or my wife who is worse than me remembering to wait) damaging something in the engine? A friend of mine said he had an Audi A4 for 5 years and never waited for the glow plugs to go off before starting the car, summer or winter and he never had a problem with battery or engine!

Thank you

No need to wait, I just get in mine and start the engine straight away.
CDI engines dont need g/plugs to start, the plugs are only there for emission reasons during start up.

No risk at all, these engines will start without glow plugs in our climate.

If you're still concerned, if you turn and immediately release the key when starting the car it should carry on cranking and start itself when the computicles think it's ready.

As said, no need to wait in anything but extremely low temperatures. Even then you won't damage anything, it just won't fire up. Just don't keep cranking if it doesn't start or you risk a flat battery.

I never wait for the light to go out, other than in really sub zero temperatures.

Thank you all.... that's assuring :thumb:

FWIW, my Vito van with the manky little diesel engine always starts much quicker when waiting for the glow plugs.

I'd assumed that the automatic starting system on the Merc (as in the normal not holding the key thing for a normal start) would have more sense than to try and start before the glow plugs had done their thing, but it is something they don't seem to have bothered with.

FWIW, my Vito van with the manky little diesel engine always starts much quicker when waiting for the glow plugs.

I'd assumed that the automatic starting system on the Merc (as in the normal not holding the key thing for a normal start) would have more sense than to try and start before the glow plugs had done their thing, but it is something they don't seem to have bothered with.

Is your Vito a CDI?

It is advisable to wait for the glow plug light to go out before starting the engine.

I always wait for the glow plug symbol to go out. It only takes a few seconds. I will check the manual now its been brought up.

I think most people let it go out.
The OP was questioning whether any damage would occur if occasionally he or his wife forgot to...no damage is the answer.

my glow plug light stays on permanently while the engine is running, and i can't seem to work out why, does anyone have any ideas?

my glow plug light stays on permanently while the engine is running, and i can't seem to work out why, does anyone have any ideas?

Faulty relay, wiring or glow plugs. If you're handy with a multimeter it's easy to fault find.

Parts are fairly cheap but removing old glowplugs can be a real pain and often snap.

great, i shall investigate further, and nope not brilliant yet with a multi meter, but i'm sure i can probe a few areas and use some logic to test it.

I did read somewhere that the glow plug light stays on if the immobiliser has been bypassed ... which mine has at the moment until i get a new key cut ... do you know if that fact has any truth behind it?

I did read somewhere that the glow plug light stays on if the immobilizer has been bypassed ... which mine has at the moment until i get a new key cut ... do you know if that fact has any truth behind it?

Well answered !!!

:wallbash:

If you have keyless go then the computer does wait for the glow plug light to go out before cranking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom