How much would you pay for a Mercedes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Mactech ....I vaguely know Guy Smith, one of the Bentley drivers....assuming he still is (and even raced against him!) as he is the son of Peter Smith....the former Managing Director (and still consultant) of Swift Caravans for whom I sell caravans and work for at the shows.
When I say raced..........! Peter convinced Guy to come on one of the Swift corporate jollies that we used to have (none since COVID...boo!) and it was a indoor karting event. Obviously he beat me....but I was second and not by much!.....following him taught me a lot and I did not loose against anyone else. I was breaking much later than him which was scrubbing off too much speed and causing me to slide around the corners........his early braking and later on the throttle technique meant less tyre slip and more traction out of the bends....smoother and quicker....lesson learned!! He was in his full Bentley Race suit and helmet too....show off!!

Oh and Derek Bell lives a few house away from me.....you might have heard of him!!! He also use to be a customer of mine (and his sister Dizzy) when I sold cars. I was a passenger in his cars a few times....not recommended!!
Here are Guy and Derek Bell in Paris traffic....Guy is waving from car 9, whilst Derek is overheating Guy's race car....not recommended!
But it was at least the day after the race win!
IMG_0989.jpeg

Interesting podcast !
The Bentley Le Mans cars from the early 2000's were always going to be part of the heritage of the company. When I returned to do the GT3 car in 2013/14 the same intention was in place. However when the Motorsport and Engineering director retired a few years ago, things changed and a few of the 2003 Le Mans cars were sold to a (well heeled!) enthusiast who would keep them running and be used.
Part of the deal was that he would also pay for the publication of the story of the return to Le Mans by Bentley in the 21st century, hence the publication of the Bentley Speed 8 book a couple of months ago.
Bentley has obviously retained the 2003 winning LM car, which has an alleged value into 8 figures, but it seems there will be no carry over of anyone in the company who was involved in that race program when Bentley next need to 'top up' their sporting heritage.
To be fair there was a 70 year gap between the Bentley boys of the 20's and early 30's and the programs I was involved in.
Chris Harris tested the Le Mans winner shortly after the race in 2003 for us and got out of the car laughing out loud and saying the car was just so easy to drive. Exactly what we had designed the car to be over 24 hours, in traffic, with tired drivers.
Oh! and quick!
View attachment 150196
Today I stumbled upon a couple of your cars @Mactech, and they’re still alive & kicking thanks to H and his team 👍🏻

1705247086886.jpeg

Today I stumbled upon a couple of your cars @Mactech, and they’re still alive & kicking thanks to H and his team 👍🏻

View attachment 151938
Oooow! I know the one on the left is 002/1 and that the other is one of the 002 series cars. The nose section is 2002, but the chassis could be either of 2001 or 2002 vintage.....ask me how I know! :dk: I also know you must have been within a few miles of Mercedes F1 headquarters, but won't say more than that.;)
H and his team look after the cars well!

Oooow! I know the one on the left is 002/1 and that the other is one of the 002 series cars. The nose section is 2002, but the chassis could be either of 2001 or 2002 vintage.....ask me how I know! :dk: I also know you must have been within a few miles of Mercedes F1 headquarters, but won't say more than that.;)
H and his team look after the cars well!
Bingo on all counts. The car of the left is 002/1 from 2000 (“Prototype”) and the car on the right is 002/2 from 2001 (2-seater) with some 2002 parts. H is a fascinating chap with some great and colourful stories.

Just thinking there are very few people famous enough to be known by just one name, (Madonna, Sting, Lulu...etc.) but to become a proper legend you just need a single letter 'H' !
Makes 闪电般的赛车工程师 Mactech seem rather, err, overblown? :dk:

Just thinking there are very few people famous enough to be known by just one name, (Madonna, Sting, Lulu...etc.) but to become a proper legend you just need a single letter 'H' !
Makes 闪电般的赛车工程师 Mactech seem rather, err, overblown? :dk:
Fair point, so for now I shall simply refer to you as 闪 😁

In valuing such items it is perhaps useful to regard them as works of art rather than manifestations of their original function.They serve as physical reminders of people or events in the past which gives them their unique value rather than their intrinsic properties. This relationship is normally self-evident but sometimes gets changed beyond reasonable limits. The example that comes to mind is the work by graffiti artist BANKSY where mythology appears to have take over from reality by calculated artifice.

stopwar.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom