How your car is perceived?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
Bit of an odd title I admit but just something I've noticed since I've been driving the other half's CLS more recently. Although I have my CLS63, it doesn't really get day to day use so it's not something I've noticed in that.

I've found drivers are noticeably more aggressive and far more likely to tailgate when I'm driving the Mrs CLS as opposed to my E Class. I like the E Class as it's subtle and people don't really take notice of it.

I've done about 300 miles in the CLS in the last week, I've experienced multiple tailgaters where I'm sticking to the limit. A couple of attempts to race it etc. Just yesterday I pulled away from a set of traffic lights quicker than a chap in a Hyundai SUV, he'd been sat way back from me along a dual carriageway. There was no prior interaction and I pulled away convincingly causing him no trouble at all. Next thing you know he's taken a run up and made an odd attempt to pass me at another section of road just as the lanes merge. He bottles it (as there's no space anyway) and then starts flashing his headlights and kicking off!! My mum was in the car so I know I was behaving and even she was utterly baffled, the only issue I could think was that he didn't like that the car was quicker?!

So how have you noticed other drivers reacting differently dependent on your car? Like I say my E Class doesn't really warrant attention from other drivers and the Mrs old SL never seemed to get the same response as the CLS.

Interesting, I have a CLS63 and occasionally get someone wanting to race me but that's about it.

See that's the thing, in mine I've never had someone try to even race but my mileage is minimal in that so maybe that's why. Maybe the AMG versions look a bit more imposing and make some noise so people don't bother.

In the CLS350 though, even though it's not a slow car it seems to attract people. I do wonder if people think it's more flash than it is?

I think people see “AMG blinged up diesel” and think they need to prove something in their 2 litre turbo diesel!

I've never noticed any difference in other people's reaction, no matter what I'm driving

Also, nobody ever pulls up alongside to race me. Well not quite true, some lads in a C63 pulled alongside us on a dual carriageway punctuated with roundabouts, and they gestured us to race - this was on the day we had collected a new car. They took the first defeat in good spirit. They were proper sulking by the third.

Never had a problem in my old E class or the ML now but was always tailgate in my wife's Smart! Traded it for a RAV4 and now it never happens.

If i meet someone that i have not seen for a while the conversation eventually turns to cars :

" What are you driven now ?"

"A Mercedes CLS"

"Nice , you must be doing all right"

"Why , because i have a car that is worth half the price of a new Fiesta"

Kenny

I drove a number of hot hatches throughout my 20s and I will say that smaller cars get bullied. You notice it in my mum's A1, people will cut it up and push you out of the way. Wether it's more because it's less likely to be seen or just not considered quick so just barge it aside I don't know.

One theme i have noticed is that a lot of aggressive, badly driven cars tend to be what i'd consider to be average family cars. Like SUVs, people carriers etc.

I drove a number of hot hatches throughout my 20s and I will say that smaller cars get bullied. You notice it in my mum's A1, people will cut it up and push you out of the way. Wether it's more because it's less likely to be seen or just not considered quick so just barge it aside I don't know.

One theme i have noticed is that a lot of aggressive, badly driven cars tend to be what i'd consider to be average family cars. Like SUVs, people carriers etc.
That's because the kids fighting in the back make the parents want a fight too! :D

If i meet someone that i have not seen for a while the conversation eventually turns to cars :

" What are you driven now ?"

"A Mercedes CLS"

"Nice , you must be doing all right"

"Why , because i have a car that is worth half the price of a new Fiesta"

Kenny

It's a very interesting point that mate. My other half's CLS cost her £10k which is an absolute bargain. For the same money you'd get a 4 year old hatch of some kind yet people see a badge and assume it's expensive. From new yes but with 60k on the clock it's a bargain really, provided you don't mind running it. :)

In my old debadged SL350 r230 I used to get a lot of attention from people wanting to race, it was a nice fast looking car but a bit slow by today's standards and most folk didn't understand that.

Now with my newer SL 63 r231 all I've had is young lads pulling up alongside me and giving it admiring looks and thumbs up, I've honestly been pleasantly surprised by the reactions it's had..... Nobody has pushed to race it yet!

My C class didn't get noticed on the road. A few people commented on it's good condition.
My CLS55 was regularly challenged at the lights etc..
My Lexus gets by far the most attention, far more than any car I've ever owned. The Police often shadow me, on the motorway many cars sit just off my rear quarter before easing past. Often get stopped in car parks, plenty of compliments.

I agree, when im out in my rx7 i never get folk along side me wanting to race, tailgate, cut me up, beep at me and i do get let out at junctions. When im out in my merc i get the exact opposite!

Nah, my boy racer days are long gone even if goaded.
I just waft along with an imperious nod of the head lmao

So how have you noticed other drivers reacting differently dependent on your car? Like I say my E Class doesn't really warrant attention from other drivers and the Mrs old SL never seemed to get the same response as the CLS.

Frequent attempts to try and push the Zoe around, which was quite an eye-opener coming from commuting in a beaten up old Volvo where nobody would dare. Rarely have an issue in the SL, although it occasionally catches people out with a surprising turn of speed.

Sticking to more recent times, my E55K rarely had anything tailgating as very little could keep up with it.

I'd happily take on any challenge from anything (which is why I got rid). Usually won but then never really came up against anything seriously fast.

In my current car, I get very little reaction at all and no tailgating. Maybe because people think I am probably 90 years old and about to die soon. :D

I did borrow my inde's old 2000 A Class once for about a week. I noticed immediately through some local merging for roadworks that slightly more people would try and cut me up when compared to the CL.

Because the CL is such an enormous barge, I don't think anyone has ever bothered.

I've never noticed any difference in other people's reaction, no matter what I'm driving

Also, nobody ever pulls up alongside to race me. Well not quite true, some lads in a C63 pulled alongside us on a dual carriageway punctuated with roundabouts, and they gestured us to race - this was on the day we had collected a new car. They took the first defeat in good spirit. They were proper sulking by the third.

What car?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom