Intelligent lighting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a 2010 E350 Sport with the intelligent Xenon lamps, main beam assist etc and they were fantastic. Until I got my next car.
Now have 2015 E350 Sport with intelligent LED lamps. These have to be experienced to understand what they do.
IMO the difference between these and the Xenons is like the difference between Xenons and Tungsten (before Halogen) lamps.
And that's just the light output. What is really clever is the way it lights up the road without putting any light onto the windows/mirrors of the car in front or ones coming the other way.
One day all cars will have lights like this................

I spec'd multibeam LEDs on my S213 (E-Class estate) and it's one of the options I'm most looking forward to. My commute is 20 miles of country B-roads.

They are very impressive - even my wife is impressed and things motoring do not interest her at all -- enjoy!

We had bi-xenon ILS on our C204 and the cornering function was great. The auto dipping function was less impressive and could be annoying as it would be triggered by light reflecting back from random roadside furniture and seemed at times slow to react to other vehicles. It also wouldn't allow high beam at speeds below 55km/h, so again at times annoying.

Our current car has non-ILS hi performance LED lights, which are similar brightness to the bi-xenon (IMHO of course). I don't miss the ILS, but appreciate that it may well have been improved somewhat from the older system.

I had a 2010 E350 Sport with the intelligent Xenon lamps, main beam assist etc and they were fantastic. Until I got my next car.
Now have 2015 E350 Sport with intelligent LED lamps. These have to be experienced to understand what they do.
IMO the difference between these and the Xenons is like the difference between Xenons and Tungsten (before Halogen) lamps.
And that's just the light output. What is really clever is the way it lights up the road without putting any light onto the windows/mirrors of the car in front or ones coming the other way.
One day all cars will have lights like this................

I can imagine the difference is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have them on our 212 E220. I was impressed from the first time I tried them. Had the car 2 years and never turned ILS off and I've never once been flashed. The way the car in front sits in a 'black box' is kinda witchcraft like. :eek:

The car is being replaced in the new year with an A4 (sorry, I'll pop a £1 in the swear box). I'm really curious to see how Audi's version (Matrix) compares to MB's ILS.

We had bi-xenon ILS on our C204 and the cornering function was great. The auto dipping function was less impressive and could be annoying as it would be triggered by light reflecting back from random roadside furniture and seemed at times slow to react to other vehicles. It also wouldn't allow high beam at speeds below 55km/h, so again at times annoying.

Our current car has non-ILS hi performance LED lights, which are similar brightness to the bi-xenon (IMHO of course). I don't miss the ILS, but appreciate that it may well have been improved somewhat from the older system.

I thought the ILS came as part of Premium Plus! o_O

I thought the ILS came as part of Premium Plus! o_O
Hmm... don't think so. It has high performance LED, but pretty sure they're not adaptive. Could be wrong of course, it has lots of options so may well have some I haven't found yet.

Hmm... don't think so. It has high performance LED, but pretty sure they're not adaptive. Could be wrong of course, it has lots of options so may well have some I haven't found yet.

Well mine has it, though it's the Saloon Version! So I would assume you have it on your Estate! :rolleyes:

Stunning Colour by the way! :D

Just check the MB configuration and intelligent LED lighting is a £549 option, not included in premium plus pack. The High Performance LED lighting is standard fitment.

As for the colour; yes, we like it too ;) Not especially commonplace either.

I've got ILS and I never knew it did half the things written in this thread. Just goes to show that being a member of a forum definitely pays off, especially if, like me, you can't be bothered to read the entire user manual.

I've got ILS and I never knew it did half the things written in this thread. Just goes to show that being a member of a forum definitely pays off, especially if, like me, you can't be bothered to read the entire user manual.

Or, just keep your eyes open when driving at night perhaps? :p

I think the intelligent light system and the 360 degree camera are fantastic gadgets, and I would not be without them on my 2017 c250 estate

I think the intelligent light system and the 360 degree camera are fantastic gadgets, and I would not be without them on my 2017 c250 estate
My daughter has a 2017 C220d Sport Premium, and that has 360' camera. I agree, really handy option. Ours only has reverse view camera which is good but not as good.

My ILS seems to take 3-4 seconds to come on after I've pushed the stalk back. It's as if it is allowing it's "eyes" to adjust to the surroundings before coming on.

Other than that, I love it.

Or, just keep your eyes open when driving at night perhaps? :p

Why? I use an ISW when driving at night. :D

(ISW = Intelligent Steering Wheel. A control system designed to steer the vehicle contrary to the useless driver sat behind it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom