is Reverse gear needed for MOT ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tjamesbo

Car
CLK430 ,Vito V6 sport ,Jaguar 2.5 X type ,W124's 1993 220TE , 1994 320TE ,Mastercraft X5
Got no reverse on my W124 320TE and its going in for an autobox rebuild but has no MOT so i either book one close to the gearbox rebuilders and cancel when i arrive at the gearbox place ,or I get it MOT'd ?? and then drive it to the Gearbox rebuilder
obviously it will need a push to get it off the Brake test rollers and out of the test bay but is reverse working a check item ???
I dont think i can drive it to the gearbox rebuilder with no MOT ? not sure if there is an exemption for driving it to a place of repair repair garage ? I know you can drive it to a MOT test centre
i understand it has to be "roadworthy " even to comply with any exemptions such as driving it to a test centre
Boyd

Are reverse light tested?
Mine checks things with mirrors at the rear of the centre, I haven't watched to see if he selects revers, other than driving off the ramp.

Reverse gear is required if ................. you want to get the car back off the MOT ramp and out the door.

K

Are reverse light tested?
Mine checks things with mirrors at the rear of the centre, I haven't watched to see if he selects revers, other than driving off the ramp.
Only on vehicles first registered after 2009

I'm sure the reverse light work but not checked its just that reverse locks up
Surely its pushable off the rollers might need two pushing ,or forward off the rollers then push back quickly over them

The best place to answer questions like this is here:

The only references to gearbox or gear selection that a quick search turns up are related to transmission shafts & couplings in Section 6.1.7 and in Section 6.2.7 'Driving Controls' that requires the tester to inspect driving controls not covered in other sections of the manual, such as:
  • clutch
  • accelerator
  • gear selector
  • engine stop
Wherein:

(a) A driving control necessary for the safe operation of the vehicle:
(i) not functioning correctly​
(ii) not working or functioning such that safe operation of the vehicle is affected​

is classified as a Major, Dangerous defect.

Personally, I don't see the inability to select reverse gear as affecting the safe operation of the vehicle, but I guess a tester might argue that the inability to reliably select a gear as commanded by the gear selector makes safe operation of the vehicle impossible. I'd suggest a chat with a tester at the testing station prior to booking a test to determine their position on it.

Regarding @Bellow's point, as a general principle for MOT tests if a testable item is fitted then it must work, but if fitting of that feature / item isn't mandatory under C&U regulations then its absence is not a reason for failing the vehicle. A good example is that lighting is not actually required on a motorcycle if it's used in daylight only, but if you present a motorcycle for test with lights on it, they must work and meet the test criteria.

Reactions: 190
Back in the old days of Bubble cars, many of them were not fitted with reverse so they could be driven on a motorcycle license. Time change though as do MoT requirements.

I'm sure the reverse light work but not checked its just that reverse locks up
Reverse light is not part of the MOT if the car was registered before 2009....otherwise it is.
but...technically, if the tester can't drive it on and off the ramp then it's a fail.

Maybe ring the MOT centre and explain.
At worst though it's a retest on completion of works.

Surely its pushable off the rollers might need two pushing ,or forward off the rollers then push back quickly over them
A 700kg smart yes. An estate weighing at least twice that - nah.
Where are all the bodies coming from to enable this and who is asking them to perform a task far removed from the job description - and prepared to compensate them in the event of injury?
Unless you can sweet talk a tester in advance to agreeing to this (and provide the necessary manpower), then the tester will likely refuse to test as soon as it's realised the vehicle cannot move under its own power as required to fulfil the test.

The best place to answer questions like this is here:

The only references to gearbox or gear selection that a quick search turns up are related to transmission shafts & couplings in Section 6.1.7 and in Section 6.2.7 'Driving Controls' that requires the tester to inspect driving controls not covered in other sections of the manual, such as:
  • clutch
  • accelerator
  • gear selector
  • engine stop
Wherein:

(a) A driving control necessary for the safe operation of the vehicle:
(i) not functioning correctly​
(ii) not working or functioning such that safe operation of the vehicle is affected​

is classified as a Major, Dangerous defect.

Personally, I don't see the inability to select reverse gear as affecting the safe operation of the vehicle, but I guess a tester might argue that the inability to reliably select a gear as commanded by the gear selector makes safe operation of the vehicle impossible. I'd suggest a chat with a tester at the testing station prior to booking a test to determine their position on it.

Regarding @Bellow's point, as a general principle for MOT tests if a testable item is fitted then it must work, but if fitting of that feature / item isn't mandatory under C&U regulations then its absence is not a reason for failing the vehicle. A good example is that lighting is not actually required on a motorcycle if it's used in daylight only, but if you present a motorcycle for test with lights on it, they must work and meet the test criteria.
I think that only applies the Class 5 vehicles?

I think that only applies the Class 5 vehicles?
Yes, you're right (may bad ☹️ ).

As I said in my post, a conversation with a tester at the testing station before booking the MOT test should clear things up.

You can get cars transported for surprisingly little using shiply. Or find an MOT garage with the exit on the opposite side of the ramp!

LOL.....you would still need to reverse it. In most test stations the rollers are behind the pit....so its looked at underneath then reversed back onto the rollers for the brake test. The test stations I worked at could not be driven right through due to the headlight beam testers being in front of the pit...they could not move far enough sideways on their tracks to get a car though either....

You really do need to talk to whomever you're thinking of doing the test: as already alluded to, you won't be a popular boy if the tester finds that he/she is expected to push a car off the ramps. As to pushing off a brake tester, you can probably forget that idea being acceptable or even working.

You might be lucky and find a 'drive-through' mot station but I can't think of any near me. Some commercial or council-run, ie bus company centres, are sometimes open to the public and might be straight-through, but whether they'd be set-up / authorised to test cars is a different matter.

Back in the old days of Bubble cars, many of them were not fitted with reverse so they could be driven on a motorcycle license. Time change though as do MoT requirements.
Not so much the old days - now, if you passed your car test after 19/1/2013, you HAVE to have a full bike licence to ride/drive any 3 wheeler, be it Reliant, Morgan, JZR or a bike-derived trike, reverse gear or not. A result of lumping all 3-wheelers together, regardless of control systems. Small differences apply, like the requirement for seat belts and front number plates, but not the licence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom