Jaguar X-type - talk me out of it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevesey

MB Enthusiast
Car
Alfa 156 1.8TS
Looks like my C240 is no more (I'll start a separate thread on that) waiting for the insurance to confirm!

Local garage has an X-Type 51 plate 2.5 petrol, manual, 43K miles in dark british racing green on at just £3635. I think I'm in love.:devil:

Bodywork tidy, needs at least new tyre, haven't tried out at the electrics yet.

When I opened the bonnet - all the engine alloy are covered in white power - annoying - but I assume there is not real problem with this (also show the lack of leaks).

So what should I be looking out for (other than a :ban:)

Engine and mechanicals are basically Mondeo aren't they. I'm off to do some googling, but meanwhile what do the panel think?

I quite like the X-Type. Personally I'd hold out for the 3.0.

Showing my ignorance here, but is the 2.5 2WD or 4WD?

Take it for a drive and come back with your thoughts.

My mother has a 2.0 which sounds very similar, BRGreen with Cream leather. Not had it long enough to see if there are any faults, but given that it's based on a Mondeo, you would hope it's a good start.

Her fuel consumption is pretty poor, 30 at best, but normally low to mid 20's.

Seems to be AWD.

Good stuff. Well that's something the Mondeo doesn't have and infact few saloons have, so it gets my thumbs up for being a bit different.

Main problem with X-Type petrols is fuel consumption & depreciation, so if you can live with the fuel consumption it's not going to depreciate much from where it is.:)

I had a soft spot for the X-Type, but thought the dash switchgear looked a bit dowdy for a luxury mark - having said that, so long as the car is sound - that's a bargain!

a mondeo that isnt that popular and depreciates faster (at least the petrol versions)..

white dust is probably a sign its been in a body shop

Last edited:
From what I've heard, I don't think the autobox versions work too well on the X Type. Although I'm an auto fan, I think you're right to stick to the manual version on this car. The petrols seem to have a better reputation than the diesels. Google is your friend when searching out problems (IIRC the 4WD system can be £££ to fix).

If it has been in a bodyshop, make sure it's 'straight' as I think setting up a 4WD chassis could be a nightmare.

white dust is probably a sign its been in a body shop
It is only on the alloy parts (manfold, block, engine mounts etc) - I'm assuming just oxidation at present - will pay more attention when the fate of the 240 is confirmed.

I did read in Car mechanics summary that it is nigh on impossible to change spark plugs on one bank of cylinders (possibly 3 litre from memory).

the intake manifold had to come off anyway and it is considered to be such an onerous task that they reached the conclusion it would probably never be done.

So, plugs never changed - what will that do to the engine (performance, mpg emissions etc etc)

Can I do my usual thing of showing what good value Saab also are. That Jaguar does sound nice, but incase it doesn't work out here's a few alternatives:

I'd second that too. My bro-in-law has had his 2003 9-3 for a few months now and is still really pleased with it - great value for money and it's a slightly newer car.

In terms of the X Type, 2.5 or 3.0 Petrol would be my choice - find a nice high spec one and you'll be :D

Looks like my C240 is no more (I'll start a separate thread on that) waiting for the insurance to confirm!

Local garage has an X-Type 51 plate 2.5 petrol, manual, 43K miles in dark british racing green on at just £3635. I think I'm in love.:devil:

Bodywork tidy, needs at least new tyre, haven't tried out at the electrics yet.

When I opened the bonnet - all the engine alloy are covered in white power - annoying - but I assume there is not real problem with this (also show the lack of leaks).

So what should I be looking out for (other than a :ban:)

Engine and mechanicals are basically Mondeo aren't they. I'm off to do some googling, but meanwhile what do the panel think?

OK Easy to talk you out of it :D Its a mondeo in drag its depreciation is faster than a stone falling off a cliff, no one ever changes the plugs, 4 wheel drive system is a dog car always wants to go sideways, interior trim is cheap and tacky, its got the performance of a slug and the handling of a cross channel ferry, alloys (inc engine components) corrode beyond belief and repair bills make a Bentley's look tame :eek:.

On the plus side its a nice colour you are looking at.

As they say a car made for "ten bob" millionaires who think they have the prestige of a Jag, but just because a dog is born in a stable it doesn't make it a Horse :thumb:

OK Easy to talk you out of it :D Its a mondeo in drag its depreciation is faster than a stone falling off a cliff, no one ever changes the plugs, 4 wheel drive system is a dog car always wants to go sideways, interior trim is cheap and tacky, its got the performance of a slug and the handling of a cross channel ferry, alloys (inc engine components) corrode beyond belief and repair bills make a Bentley's look tame :eek:.

I can get all that down to one word.

FORD.

End of.

The X type or new S type are NOT REAL Jaguars anymore They are mondeos in fancy dress with the bills of REAL Jaguars. I had an S type and my brother in law had the X type. We did'nt keep them long! Lost a lot of money on them .He bought a BMW I bought a Lexus!!!! Walk away.

Just my two peneth'

Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom