Kwik-Fit Exhaust Bargain!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
Sorry - a little off topic I know but I thought I would share it anyway!
Was looking at getting a new exhaust sytem for my 1991 3.9 V8 Range Rover Vogue SE Auto.
Got what I thought was a fair price for the whole system - downpipes to rear box with all fittings from a friend at cost to him - circa £170.
Phoned up my local kwik fit, and was amazed to be quoted £110.80. I had to check a few times that this was correct and for the whole sytem etc.
Yep.
How much for fitting?
That's fitted was his reply!
Is that plus VAT I asked.
No, that's all in! :eek:
Got the old man to take it down today whilst I was at work and I am amazed. Where else can you buy a complete, fully fitted brand new exhaust for £110.80. If you are not aware, this is not a little exhaust for a mini etc, it has 5 pieces to it including 2x 4-2-1 sections, a Y piece, a couple of silencers etc and is a large bore compared to most cars! It even included new clamps, rubbers, disposal of the old stuff etc!
Apparently , they have 60% off certain exhausts at the moment! I mentioned this first before I asked about the price of mine! I know this will probably not interest everybody, but it might help someone!
Well chuffed and I thought I would spread the word! :D
Can't think of a better time to buy one! :bannana:
Will

Will said:
...If you are not aware, this is not a little exhaust for a mini etc,...
You best check that your Range Rover doesn't have an exhaust from a mini fitted to it.

I stopped using Kwik Fit after they (South Harrow Branch) dented both front wings on my old Peugeot 504 that was in for a shock absorber change. The fitter had hit the bodywork from inside the wheel arch so both wings looked like they had developed acne over the arches :rolleyes: Even the offside replacement shock hadn't been put back properly. What really angered me was the attitude of the service manager who tried every trick in the book to wriggle out of his responsibility for damaging my car, including trying to put me on a guilt trip claiming that if I put a claim into Kwik Fit's insurance then the relevant fitter would face the sack :mad: Idiot.

I hope you had much better service from the Kwik Fit monkeys than I did. I certainly wouldn't touch 'em again. Can't get better than a Kwik Fit fitter? As Jim Royale would say "My Ar$e"

Umm I'll get off my soap box now :p :D

S.

I've used Kwikfit a fair bit back in Australia, and was always quite happy with them and their work. Recently they patched a hole in my exhaust for no charge, which I thought was good. They also corrected my wheel balancing, as the monkeys that fitted my alloys obviously had an inaccurate machine.

Their customer charter and QA status should enable you to have them rectify any **** ups they make.

What brand exhaust is it? at that price theyd be making a loss surely if it was one of the major brands. Its not as though they would fit range rover exhausts every day..

Obviously it will be a pattern part exhaust of some make or the other - but so was the other one I was quoted.
I was going to pay £170 and then fit it myself (can see it now, cursing, swearing, bruised fingers and rust falling in my eye!)
This cost £110 and was fitted by the manager (they were very busy!). The service was fine as far as I know. Got the old man to take it down so they could check what type it was etc late on tuesday afternoon. They stuck it on a ramp, and ordered the parts in to be fitted the next day (as arranged).
The only grumble I suppose was that they kept him waiting a bit - apparantly short staffed and busy (I suppose the sale doesn't help) But not too long compared to some places I have heard of!
I had a look last night - fitted neatly, new clamps, rubbers etc. Looks good quality (just looks like any other new mild steel exhaust!) and sounds fine. No problems whatsoever and it carries a full warranty too.

What is it made off though. Not Stainless steel I bet.

No, at £110 for a full system - obviously not. Out of interest, my father bought a full stainless steel exhaust from Rimmer Brothers for his Discovery, partly because of the long life claims and lifetime guarantee. After four years, it had fallen to bits (literally). He had to take it off the road for two weeks whilst the old parts were sent back for replacement (begrudgingly replaced in the end!) He showed me the center silencer - where the spot welds were, it had badly rusted and the metal was flaking away! This caused it to leak and it sounded terrible.
This system was about £3-400 and he had to fit it himself. I expect that this one would last at least four years, and cost a fraction of the amount!

What brand exhaust is it? at that price theyd be making a loss surely if it was one of the major brands. Its not as though they would fit range rover exhausts every day..

Perhaps that might be why they specify that "certain" exhausts have 60% off?!?
I suppose they fit exhausts on Peugeot, Ford, Vauxhall etc all the time. There was a Jeep and another Range Rover there whilst this one was fitted.

I know it's not gold plated and all that, but £110 would probably buy you a fault diagnosis and a cup of coffee for my C-class at the Stealership (who are not without there own faults!)

Just my own experience,

Will

Kwik-Fit have the warranty thing to a fine art. If there's a two year warranty you can bet your life that in 25 months it'll fall off in a rusty heap on your driveway.

This will be a disposable exhaust, not a masterpiece of stainless steel metalwork and will die in a couple of years. But at the price maybe nobody should not quibble as long as it is not so nasty as to rob you of performance.

The Kwikfit exhausts die after about bang on 2 years, I had many fitted on my Pug and Metro.
I don't know about MB exhausts, as I've only owned my first MB for 9 months, but my Audi 90 which I had for 11 years, ran on it's original exhaust for 125,000 miles. That's when I found out it's cheaper to fit the manufacturers exhaust than repeatedly changing cheapo exhausts if you are intending to keep the car for a long period.

Also I found on previous cars it gave the car a different sonic character, more boomy, but I guess that depends on individual cars, and the path of the exhaust and the rear box are different shapes! which may or may not fit the designed gap for the exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom