Limited ML63 availability , would you pay more for a good one.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crustyclam

Car
ML63 2007
Hi,

Wanted for so long to get a ML63. Reading forum posts put me off a little and so I settled for a diesel ML. Now as much as it's a great car it's value has dropped massively as I bought around the VW scandal.

The amount I lost on the diesel would so have covered some big bills if required.

So I am looking again and will cut my losses. Had a test drive yesterday on a 2007 ML63, great inside, but a little worn on the outside and engine bay terrible. Totally sold though on wanting one, it really made me smile...big time.

Sadly currently not a lot available, and I want to keep post 2008.

After a silver one, had enough of black,as much as I like cleaning cars it's almost impossible. The best looking one I have seen is down in Kent at the moment, just out of my price range. However my question is that given the limited availability, good spec, and no accident damage would you pay more than the guide price.

I've put an offer in, but not heard anything back. Offer was done based on parkers PX for mine, plus price based on the sellers car.

Cheers

Lee

Last edited:
The ML isn't everyone's cup of tea and the market for gas guzzling versions that are approaching 10 years of age is limited to say the least.

Therefore, there should be no need whatsoever to pay more than the guide price.

Dont pay over book price no matter how good it is. There are a lot of chancers around these days trying to push up prices on certain types of car resulting in daft prices on Autotrader where cars just don't sell.

I had a good negotiation with a dealer on my Audi who had priced his car based on Autotrader asking prices, i pointed out that many of those cars were on sale for weeks even months and hadn't sold so he dropped his price to a level i was happy with and the deal was done.

Thanks for replies. Been looking for ages now and not much decent is appearing, guessing that's why some of the prices are keeping high.

(Did consider the Ml420 before I bought my current, won't buy another diesel though, to much uncertainty around them)

Happy with a big engine now, I only travel 68 miles a week now as I work at home 3 days a week, sometimes less.

Thanks for replies. Been looking for ages now and not much decent is appearing, guessing that's why some of the prices are keeping high.

(Did consider the Ml420 before I bought my current, won't buy another diesel though, to much uncertainty around them)

Happy with a big engine now, I only travel 68 miles a week now as I work at home 3 days a week, sometimes less.

And when I do go in it's at 5am to beat the traffic so a nice empty motorway

Let's be clear about Autotrader. Autotrader makes money from advertising cars, not from selling cars. Prices are ALWAYS an overstatement of what a car might be worth. Sellers open with usually high prices, then gradually work their way down until some are sold. A good few vehicles aren't even sold, as the sellers give up on getting what they consider a "reasonable" price to be, and prefer to hold the vehicle rather than replace.

So your opening offer should always be an offer, based on what you "think" things have actually sold at. (Not what you've seen things being advertised at)

And December is a dire time to sell powerful cars. It's cold, dark and wet. People have better things to do. So the seller will not be inundated with offers.

The ML63 isn't everyone's cup of tea and so the vast majority of people wouldn't pay half the market value, but for those people who do like them them - and it's sounds like you're hooked already - then it's worth paying more for the right car. There are so few of them, and sadly they're reaching an age when an increasing number of owners run them on a shoe string, so good ones are few and far between.

Why are you looking for 2008+, because that will limit your choice, as there's more choice from 2006/7?

I suspects the OP is after a facelift, Bobby. I'd pay more for the right car (and did on a couple of occasions) so I'm with you on that one.

The ML63 isn't everyone's cup of tea and so the vast majority of people wouldn't pay half the market value, but for those people who do like them them - and it's sounds like you're hooked already - then it's worth paying more for the right car. There are so few of them, and sadly they're reaching an age when an increasing number of owners run them on a shoe string, so good ones are few and far between.

Why are you looking for 2008+, because that will limit your choice, as there's more choice from 2006/7?

You're right about being hooked. Really like my current ML, but I have always regretted not getting the ML63. I suppose the choice of going for a new model was more about the entertainment/Bluetooth/steering wheel look. Although I must admit would be happy to listen to the burble rather than music.

I guess though the benefit of getting something like a 2007 model would be a good slush fund for any repairs. (Maybe even a merc warranty if that's still possible

Last edited:
The facelift is as minor as it gets in the ML63. Subtly revised bumpers and lamps, but on the inside very little changed. Bluetooth is sorted very neatly and easily for £12. Personally I would prefer a facelift, but it's a big premium for the difference, the untrained eye would be hard pushed to notice.

I have a 2007 ML , not a 63 I must add , so am interested in what the £12 fix is for Bluetooth as am making do with my very elderly Nokia which is installed and gives me hands free. My IPhone remains off while I drive.

You're correct the prices do seem to jump for the facelift. You are also quite correct about the untrained eye. I bought my ML as it was something I didn't see to often. Now within 3 months of me buying this model 2 of my neighbours bought 2010 models as they liked mine so much. (So now 3 black models within a few 75 yards of each other) Trims are different to the Grand edition, but my wife however says they all look the same. I try to point out the subtleties...but even she says who else would notice.

Would be interested in the easy Bluetooth fix also. Was looking on the command website to see what options available for upgrades but not easy to determine.

For Bluetooth audio (and phone if you need it) blue an Anker SoundSync from Amazon for £12 and a flush fitting twin USB 12v car charger (Griffin are good) for around £2.

SoundSync Drive

Plug the USB charger into the 12v socket behind the arm rest between the front seats. Then plug the USB cable (connected to the Anker SoundSync) into the charger, and route the cable along the passenger side of the centre console. If you lift the lower edge (of the centre console) along it's length, then you can slip the cable up behind the centre console out of sight - do it a few inches at a time.

Then plug the jack plug lead (connected to the Anker SoundSync) into the jack socket in the side of the glovebox, and tuck the cable into the edge of the glovebox, routing it down to the centre console. Next mount the (sticky) SoundSync unit on the dashboard in a discrete position close to your left knee, positioning it so the cable has only a short run to the ashtray.

Now I'm not 100% sure on the precise route from here, but the I think I then routed the cable through the joint between the centre console and the dashboard, but take a look and you'll find a way of concealing it. If you do it in the order described then the excess from all three cables will be on the passenger side, tuck it all up behind the lower edge of the passenger side centre console.

Use your finger (or trim tools if you have them) to manouvere any visible cable so it's concealed and out of sight, be patient and it will disappear, just leaving the Anker SoundSync unit and the end of the USB cable visible. The Anker SoundSynv unit contains the play/pause/<</>> controls, and includes the microphone (for use making/receiving calls through your car speakers.

Sound quality is great, even for making calls (if you don't have the OEM hands free kit).

Thanks, very detailed, will take a look when back after New year

A guide price is exactly what it says, a guide. Nothing more, nothing less. Comparing new cars prices is one thing, used cars is completely different.

If you find a one-owner, fully specced car in the colour you want, low mileage, mint condition, extensive no-cost-spared maintenance, possibly with new genuine discs/pads all round, new top-spec tyres, new genuine exhaust etc. etc. would you seriously say 'I'm not paying over guide price'? The chances are if you're that dogmatic, somebody else will buy it.

Irrespective of what the guide says, it's worth what you're prepared to pay. If you come to px it later of course, a trader won't take such a positive view of the valuation. If you keep it for years the extra 'cost' is spread over a longer time so becomes less relevant as time goes on.

ML's are not really of interest to me, but the argument applies whatever the make/model. However, a large-engined, post-March 2006 high-tax-banded older 'vehicle' will have fewer potential buyers as its value decreases, so it ultimately comes down to what it's worth to you.

You didn't expect a definitive answer from this forum, did you?:D

I would stick with the 2008 on car, it has the later comand NTG2.5, flappy paddles on the steering wheel, better bigger mirrors, later cars have led rear lights, better alloys, better brake discs, dimpled and groved.

A quick search on howmanyleft indicates there were only about 600 ML63s registered in the UK, so they are always going to be thin on the ground.

I found myself in a similar situation a few years back when I was after a W202 C43 - even rarer at about 400 UK examples. Normally there were only 4-5 for sale at any given time, and I looked at a lot. It took me 18 months to find the right one, and it was right at the top of what they were going for at the time, but you really don't want to buy a ropey AMG. Money pit doesn't even begin to describe it.

Patience is a virtue. That C43 was a brilliant car, one of the best I've ever owned. When I sold it I did so for the right reasons, at the time, but I still miss it now.

Cheers,

Gaz

I would pay over-market for what I felt was the right car although that would be set against a realistic asking price to start with.

My last car was bought this way and it paid dividends.

If you like the idea, I would say go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom