Location and access - door pin switch W169

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GLK

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
I need to use a C169 door pin switch to handle the ground wire for the door sill lights.

How and were can I access it - had a brief look at WIS, and missed it obviously.

Is this for fitting illuminated door sills or for activating door mounted 'puddle' lamps?.

Last edited:
If its any help, I believe the door control units are earthed by W36/37 ground points in the right/left footwells, a few inches up near the front edge of the door aperture.

Thanks, it's for illuminated door sills. I have a set of brand new OEM ones, but don't fancy digging up half the car to get to the SAM. I really don't care if the lights won't go out after 5 minutes of doors being open ...

I saw the official retro fit instructions and thought there's a very good reason not to get illuminated sills.

I saw the official retro fit instructions and thought there's a very good reason not to get illuminated sills.

Yes, I only printed it off WIS after the purchase - there's even a fuse box removal requirement, after the battery is out - that's just insane. On the 203 the thing just plugs into a socket at the base of the footwell ...

If I can get to the pin switch, I can run a ground wire to the sills, and connect their positive to the battery terminal - so they will be on, whenever the door is open, ignition or not.

Think the front SAM controls the interior and exit illumination from a microswitch in the door lock, via the door control unit over canbus. Its described in GF82.20-P-2200KA.

Last edited:
Cheers!

I look it through, and see if I can splice into the signal after SAM - really don't want to go into extra wiring from the door courtesy light, or fitting an extra micro-switch ...

Turns out, the illuminated door sills are not 12V. Well done, Mercedes - why have a simple thing, when it can be complicated to no end, right?

I mean, Apple MacBook Air keyboard backlight is less than 0.5mm thick, runs off a 5V and is brighter than the door sill (I just replaced a keyboard on my sister's old MBAir), plus it goes on for hours, without heating the universe by 5º.

Anyway, I refused to be beaten by WIS, and wasn't going to take half the car apart, just to install a [frivolous] accessory. So, after some bench testing, I managed to retrofit the sills, got all the OE functions, incl. the 5 minutes cut-off, and didn't even touch the SAM, much less remove the seats, battery and the fuse box, or other crazy stuff Mr WIS demanded.

I'll get some pics tomorrow ...

Took a pic this morning, as the [subdued multi-storey] lighting was better, than simply night time:

36684084195_269c183fec_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom