lpg conversions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonycocacola

hi there
does anybody have any first hand experience of running an lpg conversion on an alloy V8?
do the engines take to the new fuel well?
what may need changing, or adjusting to get it to run ok?
are there any cons to the obvious pros?
any/ all advice muchly appriciated.
and a picture of my latest steed that im considering "gassing".

s10.jpg

cheers, dave.

:)

If the gas ECU isn't tuned properly, it will overgas/undergas, you get rough idling, lack of performance, extra noise, risk of the catalic converters going.

A friend of mine has his whole fleet of cars converted.....

Hello

Cannot comment on your specific car (is it a 500SEC or 560SEC not that that makes a difference to gassing it..)

My dad had it done years ago on a C200 estate and after initils teething problem it worked great. This was however several years ago and the new multipoint systems are MUCH better.

The great thing with the SEC is it has a HUGE boot so you could have a decent sized tank in there to give you a 'normal' range. The dads estate had a donut tank in place of the spare and that did 200 miles on gas.

Things to consider are price? I'm guessing £1800 for a proper job on the V8 (I was quoted 1600 + vat on my ML a V6) also do you do the miles to warrant it (ie, pay back time)

I do 5-6K a year so when my ML does betwen 16-25 its not a problem, I would have to keep it something like 5 yrs for payback on the conversion...

More and more large engines cars seem to be being converted, but I've also noticed so odd stuff being converted ( a mini copper S at work?)

PS (its not a shed !!! but give it a clean !!!) :) :)

cheers for the info, and for the record its a 500.
at the moment im clocking up 300+ miles per week in my trusty daily W124 E220.it would be nice to be able to take the SEC to work during the summer and return some decent economy.

it has been washed since ethe pic was taken.:D
those wheels aren't on it at the moment, they're waiting to be taken for a refurb.

cheers, dave.

:)

I cannot comment on a gas conversion on a mercedes but i have had the latest lpg multi point system to my 4 litre jeep grand cherokee and all I can say it worked perfectly and you wouldnt really no the difference, there is a slight drop in power but its not significant enough to notice.

It runs very smooth and is cleaner on the engine infact the people who fitted mine also informed me that there is less wear on the engine.

overall I am more than pleased with the conversion and when i first had it done i could get fuel for 33p a litre but now its around 39p which is a massive saving over todays fuel prices but it all depends were in the country you get your fuel i have seen if for 49p but that is still less than half price for petrol.

These are the guys who fitted mine check them out...
http://www.gastech.org.uk/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom