LSD Aftermarket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Will probably go for it around March and leaning towards the Wavetrack just to be different really.

No point being different over the tried and tested Quaife and get on the group buy :thumb:

Has anyone here retro fitted the oem diff? In another thread here it's mentioned that the w205 non s c63 uses the same Salisbury diff as was an option on the w204, so presume the dealers can get?

Just did a search and there was a group buy this time last year.

Birds needed a minimum of five orders. The price then was £ 893 for parts ( including delivery within the UK ) and £ 1,302 for Birds fitting inclusive of VAT.

There are plenty of before and after write ups if you search Quaife.

Please can someone suggest the reasons why MB do not fit such LSD's as standard on their AMG cars considering the 'relatively' low cost of just over £1k when it would make their cars even better? Seems like a no brainer.

The Accounts dept have taken over MB again !!

No point being different over the tried and tested Quaife and get on the group buy :thumb:

Quaife lsd's wear over time and become less effective, I have first hand knowledge of this as the Quaife uses pinions that polish the housing reducing the effectiveness. Wavetrack uses Carbon fibre bias plates resulting in long term consistent friction.

I will try and see.

Whats the average wear distance on them mate?

Quaife lsd's wear over time and become less effective, I have first hand knowledge of this as the Quaife uses pinions that polish the housing reducing the effectiveness. Wavetrack uses Carbon fibre bias plates resulting in long term consistent friction.

I will try and see.

Interesting - can you explain more detail? I thought a torsen-style different didn't rely on pinions and friction material - doesn't it rely on the non-reversing working of a worm gear rather than a pinion loading friction plates? Are you talking about some end float on the worm gears or similar?

I'm not an expert on these things, clearly!., my car has a standard amg different, and I'm interested in the different driving characteristics of different types of different. With a lsd, I think traction is a tiny pretty good for a near 2 ton rwd car with 550bhp and summer tyres. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough!

Last edited:
Friction against the turning moment of the pinions is not relevant to how a Quaife diff works.

Had a reply from James Bird. He is going to speak to Kevin and will do his best.. He did say they where flat out at the moment and certainly not short of Mercedes Quaife.

I will let you know the outcome.

I've just had an LSD installed by Birds and the service was faultless. Dropped the car off at 7am (posting key) and collected at 6pm.

I only had the car for a few days before installing but can tell it's made a big difference especially in the slippery conditions we have at the moment, you have to be a lot more aggressive to get the TC light on now.

No, I have a CL biturbo and I have asked for a price delivered in the UK

No, I have a CL biturbo and I have asked for a price delivered in the UK

Cheers for sorting this mate. I think we have about 6-7 interested parties from last count.

Count me in on a group buy if it's going ahead !

Cheers for sorting this mate. I think we have about 6-7 interested parties from last count.

Maybe ten :thumb:

I have sent Birds another email asking for an update.

Quaife LSD's do wear.
Good example

MK1 Focus RS had critisim for how snatch the Quaife LSD was.
However some didn't display this tendency whilst others were noted for their eagerness to dive into the nearest hedge on acceleration.

Now, you will find hardly any problems with them as once they passed 25,000 miles or so the affect is dulled. This is due to polishing and internal wear of the ATB mechanism.
More wear equals less snatching but also less effectiveness.

Quaife are superb LSD's but they do suffer from wear.

Hey at 1500 to replace after 20-25 k miles it's not the end of the world

I'd be interested (parts only) on the group buy..... I assume this is for the v2 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom