Manchester congestion charging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quasarman

Car
C320 Avantgarde SE Estate
I was under the impression that the various coucils involved had rejected congestion charging in Manchester yet yesterday an information pack arrives on my doorstep telling me that this is on the way!!!

Views...

It's happening, like it or not.
It will operate differently from London's charge in that it "should" only operate at peak times and the charge is split. Pay to get in and pay again to get out.
It'll be 5 years before it comes in though.
Oh and Manchester is only the first in a long line of cities outside of London that will have a congestion charge in the coming years.

Yep, its def comming, we have had about three packs sent to us a work so far. As Ray says its be a few years yet. it wont affect me but it will be a complete pain for hundreds of city workers . Will it work to reduce congestion ? me thinks not - its a revenue generator . A drive thru London shows its still cleary very congested despite the charges.

Last edited:
The motorist is being taxed and taxed again. Its clearly the present governments intention to put motoring taxes up so high that natural selection will control the number of cars on Britains roads.
Its got nothing to do with anything other than revenue collection.
Same as Londons rebranded CO2 Charge.

All for it - so long as contracted journey times are published and refunds are made for not being able to meet said journey time.

It is after all designed to reduce congestion, so if the service is not delivered...

Is it coming? I thought that (for once) the results of this consultation would be listened to.

If you are against it, Object, and make your voise count!

I do not think it is a foregone conclusion.

This is going to be great for me for work. I cross the outer ring to get in to Booth Hall and I cover on-call to MRI so will incur inner costs too. I contractually need a car for work purposes during the day to meet on-call demands and could potentially cross the rings a couple of times each during the peak times.......... although the daily charge rate will be capped at £10-great!

I'm sure my employer won't want to foot the extra bill for this so I may move over to pedal power!

If you contractually need a car for work, why wouldn't the employer pay? If mine sends me somewhere that I need to take a car to, they pay for tolls, parking, etc.

..... of course it is not the employer that pays ultimatly, its US the consumer that ends up paying more for the services as the employers charge more to their clients ..............

Didn't the residents of Manchester vote against the scheme? Didn't Edinborough?

CONgestion charge is nothing to do with congestion, its another stealth tax on we the motorist.

And as usual our elected representatives do nothing other than represent themselves and line their pockets

Tuppence worth

I get so frustrated :mad: that people can dream these schemes up and there's very little chance of us being able to stop it going ahead.

Its the same with MP's expenses that WE also pay for without being given a choice.

Maybe I have too simplistic a view...

I live in the centre of Manchester and thus, I wouldn't be affected because I'll be leaving town when the charge is on entering and vice versa. But I'm still against the charge.

It's not like we choose to all go on the road at the same time for the fun of it. We're doing it to go to work, to earn money, to pay tax on it. We're what's driving the economy. It's not like there's any job security these days that would make it worthwhile moving next to work, so we have to travel to work.

Our taxes are already paying for the roads, why should we have to pay more to use them? find another way.

If public transport was worth taking, then I believe that more people would take it, especially in these days of high fuel prices. I also believe that public transport should be free, though I guess that's a more controversial opinion :)

It seems that the government seems to be forgetting that the people they keep hitting hard like this are also the prime tax payers in general, and the prime voters.

Just so there are no misunderstandings, the congestion charge is being introduced in Manchester and later in other cities as part of a government public transport initiative.
There are literally billions of pounds to be had if a charge is introduced but if councils do not introduce a charge then they get nothing.
Leeds were told in no uncertain terms that the £2 billion they applied for will not be forthcoming unless plans for a congestion charge are on the table so are now looking at the possibility.
Exactly the same situation for Birmingham who applied for £3 billion and are getting nothing.
Manchester councils are being given £1.2 billion plus a further £1.8 billion in loans for introducing a charge.
It makes it appear that charging is council driven but it's not, central government funding for public transport will only be given to councils who apply a congestion charge.

It makes it appear that charging is council driven but it's not, central government funding for public transport will only be given to councils who apply a congestion charge.

oh, I'm perfectly aware of where the impetus for all this is coming from, but it doesn't make me agree with it any more. I still think it's the wrong thing to do.

dave

Why does the govenrnment want to do this, yes it raises revenue but its a vote loser. The way an IC engine works means it uses more fuel around town, and by virtue of the FACT it is taxed so heavily the car acts in itself as a Con Charge.

This is double taxation and if you look into it a big breach of privacy.

The way an IC engine works means it uses more fuel around town, and by virtue of the FACT it is taxed so heavily the car acts in itself as a Con Charge.

It does, but the additional cost doesn't focus peoples thoughts on the emissions their car is producing.
The Government and local authorities are mandated to reduce Co2 both nationally and locally. If people won't give up motoring due to increased cost then they have to apply pressure to get them to reduce their usage and subsequent emissions.
The CC is moving the issue to the front of peoples minds, much like the VED.

Just so there are no misunderstandings, the congestion charge is being introduced in Manchester and later in other cities as part of a government public transport initiative.
There are literally billions of pounds to be had if a charge is introduced but if councils do not introduce a charge then they get nothing.
Leeds were told in no uncertain terms that the £2 billion they applied for will not be forthcoming unless plans for a congestion charge are on the table so are now looking at the possibility.
Exactly the same situation for Birmingham who applied for £3 billion and are getting nothing.
Manchester councils are being given £1.2 billion plus a further £1.8 billion in loans for introducing a charge.

Have you seen where the money is proposed to be spent though? Tram links to Rochdale & Bury(IIRC) which is fine, but then also to Manchester Airport(which already has trains running every 15 mins) and the Trafford Centre(an out of town shopping complex).... I doubt many people see this as helpful to the 'congestion' cause!!

Have you seen where the money is proposed to be spent though? Tram links to Rochdale & Bury(IIRC) which is fine, but then also to Manchester Airport(which already has trains running every 15 mins) and the Trafford Centre(an out of town shopping complex).... I doubt many people see this as helpful to the 'congestion' cause!!

Unless they are the locations where park and ride schemes will operate from, or it's shown that a significant volume of traffic travels in from those locations.
I regularly visit Nottingham and can see the effect the trams have had on conjestion. They have noticably reduced it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom