Maniac Biker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Club Veteran
Car
Not always
I've seen this idiot on a number of occasions over the last couple of months on my daily commute in the morning .

Before I say anymore I should add that I used to drive a bike myself , this is NOT a rant against bikers and I have absolutely no problem with the vast majority of bikers who use the performance of their machines ( even above the legal limits ) whilst still exercising due caution .

There is this particular idiot I have seen perhaps a dozen times now who ALWAYS drives up the A737 single carriageway during morning rush hour at 100mph + . The road is always busy in both directions , but he just drives down the centre line between opposing traffic at unabated speed . Sometimes the traffic flow is down at 20mph or so , when there is a tractor ahead , or just plain busy , other times the flow is at 50 or 60 , but if he appears , I usually just catch a glimpse of his headlamp in my offside mirror , before he goes by in a flash like the Starship Enterprise . I am NOT exaggerating about his speed : even when the rest of us are doing 60 , he is past in a flash and covers the distance until he is out of sight in a fraction of the time it takes everyone else .

I saw him nearly come a cropper a few weeks back : I was a few cars behind a bus and there was a broken down car on the verge which the bus signalled and pulled out to clear , just as he came flying up at his usual speed - only there was an artic coming the other way - he had no time to stop or slow down ; I just don't know how he got through the gap , but he did !

A little further on , the road becomes a dual cariageway , before eventually joining the M8 at Glasgow Airport . Again , he ALWAYS drives at reckless speed down the dual carriageway , which is usually busy in both lanes , with traffic joining at various slip roads . Usually , he goes right down the middle between the two lanes of traffic at a speed so far in excess of the other traffic he would have no chance if someone changed lane ahead . 'Filtering' through slow traffic with a speed differential of 10 or 20 mph , I don't have a problem with , but I have seen this guy go between stop/go traffic an an unabated 70 or 80 !!!!!!!!! If there isn't a gap down the middle because of large vehicles , I have seen him swoop between vehicles and pass to the right of a car in the right lane , next to the central barrier , then back in to the gap between the two lanes .

A couple of weeks ago , I was heading west towards the Govan slip on the M8 , doing 70 in lane 3 , with slower traffic to my left , when he flew between us at 100+ , left everyone else for dead :eek: Then yesterday , I saw him again : this time I was in the queue approaching the Kingston bridge , all three lanes stop/go , nose to tail ; I was in lane 3 as that one seemed to be flowing best . I caught a glimpse of a biker's headlamp in my nearside mirror and moved right to give him a little more room to filter through , and a gent on a very nice blue XJR1300 came through slowly and acknowledged my gesture as he went by . A few seconds later , this IDIOT came up behind at his usual speed , had to brake so sharply that he lifted his back wheel off the ground and almost rear ended the first biker !!!!!!!!!!!

This time I got his number and wrote it down :D On every previous occasion he had been so fast and taken me by surprise I had never got more than a partial . He drives a faded red , mid sized bike ( don't know make/model ) wears a helmet & leather jacket , but only jeans & trainers , no gloves !!!

If ever there was an accident looking for somewhere to happen - he has to be it . I really don't like 'grassing' other drivers up to the Police , even someone who cuts me up , but this guy's conduct has been so consistently apalling that I've spent the last day or so seriously considering it .

I think I might have a quiet word with some of the motorcycle cops if we get to meet any at the RPU in a week or two .

It is idiots like this who give bikers a bad name in the eyes of the general car-driving public .

I feel better now I've got that off my chest .

Last edited:
I'll need to keep an eye out for this guy, although I suspect one day he will be wiped out. Law of averages will catch up with him!

Alway seems to be heading up A737 , into town on M8 between 8 and 8:30 . That's when I've seen him .

Have a word with the police when you see them.

If he carries on this way he will kill himself. Not a problem - he will be old enough to be responsible for his actions.
Unfortunately, he will have a family. possibly take someone else out, be on someone elses conscience for the rest of their lives, and become a statistic which will give weight to even more restrictive legislation for all responsible motorists.

Help to get him off the road, and do everyone a favour.

He's probably on drugs or something!

knock him off his bike

if his jeans aren't kevlar they should burn through nicely

teach the bugger a lesson

Not sure of gender ; jeans are just ordinary denim .

Don't wish to make contact with him/her

I remember knocking a guy off his moped in hackney. I was turning right with my indicator and he comes out of nowhere and swerved to avoid me and slipped off.

Waited for him in a side road to see if he was alright. When he came speeding down and got off his bike very aggressively to confront me I managed to calm him down and diffuse the situation quickly.

If ever there was an accident looking for somewhere to happen - he has to be it . I really don't like 'grassing' other drivers up to the Police , even someone who cuts me up , but this guy's conduct has been so consistently apalling that I've spent the last day or so seriously considering it .

I think I might have a quiet word with some of the motorcycle cops if we get to meet any at the RPU in a week or two .
You might just save this persons life, provided he takes heed of a warning from the boys in blue. Surely this would justify your action of bringing him to the attention of the police.

If this person got up earlier they might not have to rush to get to wherever it is that they are in such a rush to get to!!

Agree with all comments - as a biker myself I cringe every time something like this crops up as inveitably it will affect ALL road users.

Ring Strathclyde police road safety team, 0141 532 2000

We're visiting them in a couple of weeks , so I'll probably just have a quiet word then , and see if I can find out if anyone else has complained about this guy .

We're visiting them in a couple of weeks , so I'll probably just have a quiet word then , and see if I can find out if anyone else has complained about this guy .

Report the idiot now, if you wait and he/she kills him/her self and or someone else in the meantime you will wish you'd acted sooner.

CAT220 is right.
If he is truely as mad as you describe then I doubt whether you will see him for much longer.

oh dear ... 'tards like this give all of us bikers a bad name.

agree with the others ... report him.

A future Darwin Award candidate for sure.

Trouble is, as many have said, it is the potential for collateral damage which is the real cause for concern.

Taking one's self out of the gene pool is entirely one's own affair, but not right in the slightest if it risks taking others out with you.

Sounds pretty much like standard biker behavour from days of old :rock:

No doubt the biker will soon be seen travelling a little slower. After all, you rarely see these doing 100mph.

Hearse.jpg

Better to be an hour late in this life than 30 years early in the next life......

Agreed.....best report the person before they become another "Organ Doner" :wallbash:

The roads are getting far too much like whacky races these days.....at least they will be good for the next 6 weeks as the schools up here are just about to stop for their break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom