ML63 AMG....Gemclean'd!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palmball

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi R8 V10+ & BMW M5
I'm posting this in the General section because the thread is as much about the car as the detailing but a big thanks the Michael at Gemclean for shoehorning me into his schedule (so much that he worked well into the night!) to give my ML a spruce up and gtechniq coating.

I'm sure Michael will add some detail on exactly what he used but from memory, the bodywork went through a process of washing, decontaminating and claying before finally being treated to a coating of gtechniq's new(ish) Crystal Serum product followed by two coats of Exo V2.

Michael then put some new aerospace product on the lower parts of the body and the back end which supposedly stops tar sticking to it, which is fairly handy on white car with such a big back end! All I can say is that I washed it this weekend for the first time since it was coated and it virtually cleaned itself with just a jetwash (and Developer, I now have a resin filter and WOW....the ultimate in laziness :thumb:)!

Michael did similar prep on the wheels and then treated them with gtechniq C5 - I don't think it's quite a slick as Swissvax Autbahn wax (which is a PTFE coating for wheels) but it supposedly lasts longer. Michael also deep cleaned the wheel arches which look brand new, as well as a quick detail of the engine which I thought looked fantastic, but he apparently needed more time on it :eek:

I'm actually amazed just how much needed to be done to get a car with just 14k on the clock to the standard I want, but it's now looking great and is outrageously easy to clean.

I'm also so, so glad we didn't choose the Range Rover Sport in lieu of this car because in person, this ML63 AMG's wider arches, massive (and very deep) front end, quad pipes and 21' wheels make it look so much more contemporary and it has bags of presence on the road. It's also much bigger car than I thought - in pictures it doesn't look like it, but it's actually bigger in every dimension than the RRS. It's so big my missus struggles to get in it (unlike the RRS, it doesn't go any lower but it usefully does go higher!) - I've already got the side steps to fit which not only means she can get in it without destroying the seat bolsters, I reckon they make the car look better.

I'm either really getting old (definitely can't be that), or more likely I'm just after something different to the usual 'sports' cars I tend to have because, I have to admit I'm really enjoying this car much much more than I thought I would - as a car for rocking around in, commuting, travelling up and down the motorway etc. it's one of the nicest cars I've ever bought.

It's comfortable (and I mean properly comfortable) and it's exceptionally refined with very little road or wind noise, yet you still get that AMG background noise :D It has a kind of rolling gait that makes it feel like an unstoppable train on the road - the air suspension keeps it very isolated and smooth but unlike most SUV's, it's underpinned by real firepower, grunt and huge traction so it just rockets away fem everything else.

You then expect it to roll about in bends but the active roll bars means it has virtually no body roll - OK, it's not agile or particularly dynamic but the lack of roll just adds to the feeling of comfort. The brakes and steering are typical AMG fare....superb. In fact, of all the cars I've had I reckon AMG do some of the best steering and brakes in terms of responsiveness and feedback.

Sound...every AMG needs it's own sound section, right? Well, the good news is that it the 5.5 biturbo still sounds like an AMG, just with the volume turned down to 7. It's definitely less 'thunderous' than the 6.2, but it's still more so than almost anything else and loud enough (outside at least) to create giggles, especially on start-up.

Economy is appalling and it's easily the joint worst car we've had (with the Maserati and V10 M6)....yes, even the SLS sips noticeably less! It even has an eco button, stop start and....it's still sh!t. A £125 fill up gets 300 miles in normal driving (15mpg), maybe 400 on a run (19mpg). AMG claim 29mpg on the extra-urban....impossible I say, because even resetting the trip and coasting it only does 24!

The wood trim's gotta go and is being replaced next week with, I think, black ash wood. It's not cheap but a lot better value than buying the next cheapest ML63 (this car was thousands less than every other one on sale). I might also have to do something with the audio system - it's actually bloody amazing considering it's the base system (especially if you compare it to BMW's base systems) but I reckon a simple amp and speaker upgrade could have it sounding better than the HK upgrade. The only thing I'm not overly happy about is theres a few more interior 'noises' than I thought there would be (could be down to the USA build?) - there's the odd buzz and creak here and there but I'm systematically tackling them so it's no biggie.

In summary, this is a great second car to compliment the SLS with. The ML is actually my other halfs car and it's really useful having something so practical because we run a small business which means we sometimes have to carry loads that in other cars, we'd have filled them with the seats folded. Having an SUV means everything is just swallowed up without even needing to fold the seats....having an AMG SUV means there virtually no compromises! It's so different in every way could imagine to the SLS, yet it's so satisfying in it's own right - I reckon this car could last us into 2015. Just ;)

P1030477_zpsc931023c.jpg

P1030478_zpsedd33951.jpg

P1030483_zps23e7b5a1.jpg

P1030485_zps1f0e5879.jpg

P1030482_zpsa9506c7f.jpg

P1030489_zps7b09b735.jpg

P1030487_zps8d43fc91.jpg

P1030494_zps0d41a56d.jpg

P1030493_zpsbddcbb77.jpg

P1030476_zpse159c14a.jpg

P1030497_zpsf30e81dc.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

I am worried you have too much money.... do you need some help spending any of it?
It's only you I am thinking of. :)

Now detailed I have to say I don't dislike the wood as much as I did when i saw the dealer shots. I think it would even grow on me in time, but agree that the new wood will suit better.

Strange speccing choice from new really - i have to say I would personally prefer a darker leather as well with a white exterior, but as you rightly say it has all helped contribute to the price.

Good luck with it.

Agree.

The dashboard shot looks OK with the seat colour combo.

Surprised about the mpg being so far off MB figures though. Needs more running in maybe.

You really need to stop posting.

Every time you start up I loose 30 minutes of my life checking the classifieds and doing sums...

(and Developer, I now have a resin filter and WOW....the ultimate in laziness :thumb:)!

They really are impressive aren't they :thumb: - I would imagine drying the roof on an ML would be very difficult.

In summary, this is a great second car to compliment the SLS with. The ML is actually my other halfs car and it's really useful having something so practical because we run a small business which means we sometimes have to carry loads that in other cars, we'd have filled them with the seats folded. Having an SUV means everything is just swallowed up without even needing to fold the seats....having an AMG SUV means there virtually no compromises! It's so different in every way could imagine to the SLS, yet it's so satisfying in it's own right - I reckon this car could last us into 2015. Just ;)

Have you pics of your sls ??? Pleasssseeeeee lol

Looking Good!

Was a monster job to do in two days, but well worth it for the finished example. Will get the write up up on Friday:)

Will you be getting down to EvoMax this Saturday? Fingers crossed should be going down with the La Ferrari, Speciale & F12 so will see you there!

Hi,

I am worried you have too much money.... do you need some help spending any of it?
It's only you I am thinking of. :)

I can bankrupt myself all on my own than you very much :crazy:

Now detailed I have to say I don't dislike the wood as much as I did when i saw the dealer shots. I think it would even grow on me in time, but agree that the new wood will suit better.

Strange speccing choice from new really - i have to say I would personally prefer a darker leather as well with a white exterior, but as you rightly say it has all helped contribute to the price.

Good luck with it.

I can't make my mind up on the interior as black ash doesn't actually exist - it's brown ash. So thats out.

Which leaves either piano black (which scratches too easily) or aluminium (which doesn't). I wasn't convinced that the aluminium would go with the beige leather but then it only ever butts-up to the black parts, and theres plenty of silver trim around the radio and centre console which looks fine.

Surprised about the mpg being so far off MB figures though. Needs more running in maybe.

Well it's done 15k miles so I think it's run-in by now. The economy is as I expected, and thankfully my expectations weren't set by MB's claims!

Every time you start up I loose 30 minutes of my life checking the classifieds and doing sums...

Welcome to my life :D

Have you pics of your sls ??? Pleasssseeeeee lol

Oh OK, if I must....they have been posted before so if you've already seen them, theres nothing new to see here.

P1020741_zps679f38e2.jpg

P1020738_zps976d680a.jpg

P1020751_zps68bc10c7.jpg

P1020745_zps3f476b7e.jpg

What ! As late as a quarter past eight?

:D

Will you be getting down to EvoMax this Saturday? Fingers crossed should be going down with the La Ferrari, Speciale & F12 so will see you there!

Afraid not Michael....I can't pick the SLS up from AMG until Friday next week :mad:

Ah that's a shame:( I will get lots of footage on the go pro:)

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Looks great Andrew :thumb:

Credit to Mike .. it makes a big difference having it professionally detailed & the Gtechniq's & Swissvax is awesome stuff.

;)

I can't make my mind up on the interior as black ash doesn't actually exist - it's brown ash. So thats out.

?? Mine's got black wood not piano black (that looks like black ash to me). Option code 729 (Poplar apparently)

Sadly my 2nd car is a SL55 not a SLS though

Cheers

Richard

Pic of the wood below. I've got 17.4mpg over the last 12000 miles out of mine. General mix of the odd trip into London, short journey (3 miles) to work when cold and some motorway stuff.

Richard

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 28
My E63 squeaks and rattles and has only 13000 miles on it so must be an AMG suspension thing that loosens everything!

Managed 31.4 on the run back from TRAX but that was doing no more than 70 in the hope the others would catch me up after they had to refuel.:bannana:

I know what you mean about the 55 bi-turbo engine - it is quiet in comparison to the old 6.2, except on cold start-up and then it sounds like a couple of lions having a fight but I love driving it! :D

Love the detailing job on it but have to say that it did look clean at TRAX.

Last edited:
sjmaxwell said:
My E63 squeaks and rattles and has only 13000 miles on it so must be an AMG suspension thing that loosens everything! Managed 31.4 on the run back from TRAX but that was doing no more than 70 in the hope the others would catch me up after they had to refuel.:bannana: I know what you mean about the 55 bi-turbo engine - it is quiet in comparison to the old 6.2, except on cold start-up and then it sounds like a couple of lions having a fight but I love driving it! :D Love the detailing job on it but have to say that it did look clean at TRAX.
I heard it and sounds awesome!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom