Modern Classic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Allegro , first cop car I ever asked to sit in by two big blokes in uniform with Tit$ on their heads .
They were pale blue and white I seem to remember? I only saw the outside view!

Pandas ! Originially black and white, like the bears, then went blue and white when the cheap as chips Anglia and Allegro came along. (Colours that were more modern and easier to maintain)

“Patrol And Neighbourhood Deployment Area” cars, they reckoned.

Pandas ! Originially black and white, like the bears, then went blue and white when the cheap as chips Anglia and Allegro came along. (Colours that were more modern and easier to maintain)

“Patrol And Neighbourhood Deployment Area” cars, they reckoned.
Myth....
The term 'panda car' was first used to refer to black police cars with panels that had been painted white to increase their visibility. It was only later applied to blue and white police cars.
PANDA was not initials for anything.....just because Pandas were also B & W.

Myth....
The term 'panda car' was first used to refer to black police cars with panels that had been painted white to increase their visibility. It was only later applied to blue and white police cars.
PANDA was not initials for anything.....just because Pandas were also B & W.
For sure. As i said, originally black and white cars.

A “myth” created by the police force to describe their short range vehicles back in the late 50’s.

Because it would be less professional to acknowledge that Policemen gave them their nickname because of Chi Chi who had become the star of London zoo in 1958.

Not the only time that the Police made up a story to justify their actions …. Back in the day.

Last edited:
To return to the OPs original question (if that isn't too radical), The SL Shop are excellent, but expensive. I used to use them for my R107 and they did a very good job. They probably charge slightly more than a MB main dealer, but they do know what they are experts rather than YTS apprentices.

To return to the OPs original question (if that isn't too radical), The SL Shop are excellent, but expensive. I used to use them for my R107 and they did a very good job. They probably charge slightly more than a MB main dealer, but they do know what they are experts rather than YTS apprentices.
Thanks for this insight, now that we both have a Phd in the various shades of police cars….
You have probably confirmed all I guessed about SL shop, I have a good indi down here I used them to do some serious work on my previous SLK. So I think I should stick with them.

ISTR that BL called it a "Quadratic" steering wheel? Not their best design inspiration.
That’s the baby. Designed for easier ingress and egress, but badly implemented

Unlike this, which is well implemented but which still doesn’t make a lot of sense outside F1

IMG_2049.jpeg

Reactions: JHS
ISTR that BL called it a "Quadratic" steering wheel? Not their best design inspiration.

I ran an early brown 1500 Allegro as a winter shed back in the mid 80s, my 1st front wheel drive car. It did well, engine always started, kept going on the ice and snow when others were stuck, big squishy seats, comfortable and spacious. I even liked the wheel, good view of instruments and drove really nicely, after a while you didn't notice the squareness.

I know they had a dodgy rep and rusted for fun, but I liked mine.

I ran an early brown 1500 Allegro as a winter shed back in the mid 80s, my 1st front wheel drive car. It did well, engine always started, kept going on the ice and snow when others were stuck, big squishy seats, comfortable and spacious. I even liked the wheel, good view of instruments and drove really nicely, after a while you didn't notice the squareness.

I know they had a dodgy rep and rusted for fun, but I liked mine.
Amen. Both the Allegro and the Marina developed a dodgy reputation as they reached their teens in the late 80's and were kept running without any proper servicing.

But in the late 70's, when they were new, they were very popular as good quality (yes) affordable motoring. I drove a lot of Marinas and Princesses long distances and at significant speeds, Officer, on empty motorways, and they were very impressive and reliable. Even if they did have to be serviced every 6,000 miles "because they were company cars." This was amongst drivers of Allegros, Marinas & Princesses who were putting 30-50,000 miles a year on them "with barely a second thought."

Not Mercedes quality,, but very affordable at a time was Mercedes was only for the rich.

Last edited:
I was a mere pup in the 1970s and 1980s but the cars which shared the Issigonis DNA seemed to be remarkably good cars, although rust seemed to kill most of them long before mechanical issues.

I learned to drive in an L-reg Morris 1800 (“Landcrab”) which was a huge (internally), comfortable, and dare I say it brisk car. It was my grandad’s car, left to my parents. They kept it going until the late 1990s.

I was just 8 years old (I think, maybe 7 actually) at the time and - and in period it was a big car - but even without power assistance I could drive it easily, it seemed so well engineered in all respects.

I’d really like to buy one - or at least drive one - at some point. I can still smell it like it was yesterday. I can still feel the red hot burgundy vinyl burning my thighs. And the horizontal speedo which was cool.

I’d really like to buy one - or at least drive one - at some point. I can still smell it like it was yesterday. I can still feel the red hot burgundy vinyl burning my thighs. And the horizontal speedo which was cool.
Different times....

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 15.56.15.png
Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 15.56.57.png

I drove one of these back in the very early 80's, it wasn't mine but a friends parents, it was, from memory, a joy to drive - managed to get 8 of us in it! I would love to own one but suspect that they are very few and far between now that the metal muncher has had a good feast over the last 50+ years!

1702659559795.jpeg

Rose tinted glasses?
Top speed 100 mph
0 to 60 14.4 seconds
I was also 8 years old.

It would happily cruise at an indicated 100 mph albeit with my Dad driving.

I don’t have any experience of driving other relatively “normal” cars of the period but I dare say there were many much slower cars.

To put it in perspective, the contemporary Miura dispatched 60 mph in just under half that time. Fast in period but not now.

If a modern Landcrab took double the time of the Revuelto then that would mean that it would be capable of 0-60 in around 5 seconds.

Last edited:
Rose tinted glasses?
Top speed 100 mph
0 to 60 14.4 seconds
Sounds brisk to me... It's all about the context.

90mph on the M1 with no another car in sight, no electronics, no ABS,

and a solid steel rod connected to the front wheels aimed straight at your heart. "Your own little crumple zone."

I saw one a couple of Maxis on Endeavour (Series 8, Episode 2) this week. All about taxi drivers.

Shaun Evans was getting a box out of the boot, which looked huge.

I know the shop in Stratford Upon Avon well as worked down that way for 3 years. I bought My R230 SL nearby and used to drive from Scotland to Statford Upon Avon each week in the car it went beautifully ! I used to have the roof down in the summer for the whole journey, even sometimes in the winter. Just done a video on how effective the wind deflector is :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom