Mods & Finance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StephenSJason

Car
C63 Supercharged
Hi all,

I just wanted to get some opinions regarding modifying a car that is on a finance agreement such as PCP.

I bought mine on this scheme, as I imagine many have, as quite honestly I didn't have £50k in cash ready to outlay and, with serious head on knowing that I change cars every two-three years it made sense and still does. Anyway, I'm with the car for another year but the modifying itch is strong. I'm not talking about a supercharger or full exhausts, or a removable tune using a MyGenius even, but I'm strongly considering a Cat Delete (not the gutted version as I'm about 500miles from Edinburgh where this service is advertised here) which is going to be a fairly obvious modification to MB.

What are your thoughts?

I know, obviously that this would wave off the warranty concerning all exhaust related faults and hell, if a main dealer wants to create a shht storm over engine issues and wriggle out by blaming it on an exhaust, they will but the M156 seems reliable enough so there's a certain amount of "fingers crossed" there. I suppose I'm hopeful that, even though a secondary cat delete only makes one cut and clamp to the exhaust system, come the time to return the car and refit the cats, MB wouldn't mind so much.

I may be miles off the mark here but as I understand the PCP scheme, you don't own the car unless/until the final balloon payment is made. With that in mind, it could be argued that you would be deliberately damaging property belonging to another. The issue of whether or not MB find out should be measured against worst case scenarios i.e. needing warranty work done and having to replace the cats each and every time, the delete being spotted during service time etc etc.

I guess my thought is, if I wanted to modify a car, I would buy it, not rent it. I hope that doesn't sound harsh; I simply can't think of another way to put it just now.

Last edited:
PCP companies go over cars with the finest of fine tooth combs, so I guess when they see a non MB exhaust they will not be pleased.

Unless you keep the OE exhaust components and put it back on at handover?

Big risk on warranty too.

A year to go...how much will it cost?

Well, 15mths to be exact which will fly by I suppose. It's the Milltek pipes, fitted for £400.

I may be miles off the mark here but as I understand the PCP scheme, you don't own the car unless/until the final balloon payment is made. With that in mind, it could be argued that you would be deliberately damaging property belonging to another. The issue of whether or not MB find out should be measured against worst case scenarios i.e. needing warranty work done and having to replace the cats each and every time, the delete being spotted during service time etc etc.

I guess my thought is, if I wanted to modify a car, I would buy it, not rent it. I hope that doesn't sound harsh; I simply can't think of another way to put it just now.

Not harsh at all, I suppose it's what I wanted to hear really. After years of modifying cars that I'd bought outright it's just in my blood to play with them and I need to shake it off. This car was worth double when bought what they others cost me when bought hence the PCP to bridge the gap if you will. It was a present to myself before I have to grow old and buy a Zafira for family commitments and, the reason that I bought this as opposed to an early GTR which were hovering at around £30-£35k at the time, was so that I'd get out of the modifying game.

I've just answered my own question.

Thank you. That's further cemented not to do it.

PCP companies go over cars with the finest of fine tooth combs, so I guess when they see a non MB exhaust they will not be pleased.

Unless you keep the OE exhaust components and put it back on at handover?

Big risk on warranty too.

Thanks for this. It's the Milltek pipes which require one cut to the exhaust and then clamp. I'd refit the cats when I returned but there'd still be a clamp so it would be evident if someone got under it and knew what they were looking for.

It only becomes a problem if you give the car back.. if you keep the car it's not an issue and you may wish to do so as may get a better deal elsewhere or you like it...

If you decide to hand it back then make sure it goes back to the as delivered spec.. so it's worth keeping any bits you swap in good order.

It only becomes a problem if you give the car back.. if you keep the car it's not an issue and you may wish to do so as may get a better deal elsewhere or you like it...

If you decide to hand it back then make sure it goes back to the as delivered spec.. so it's worth keeping any bits you swap in good order.

I'm hoping that I might keep it at the end, at least to sell it on privately after a while when circumstances force it or I want a change but, the way I flit about with cars makes it uncertain as does how much it's going to devalue by then which will be a driver also. I could probably clear the finance and GMFV quite soon and open the gate to modificatios but feel that it's a hard market to sell it in now if I wanted to release the cash as there are many examples out there and, the sheer flood of them at MB dealers approved used lots will likely make selling a £40k car privately quite hard. I'd say that the car needs to get to around mid-£20k's before private buyers would consider more freely parting with cash privately and that's the point where I weigh up purchasing it with equity or letting it go if in negative equity.

Last edited:
I think you could argue the exhausts needed changing so you sourced the best product... yes they do check anything handed back thoroughly, but how many times have these companies when you have contacted them for an exhaust or a tyre sent you to ****fit and they've put the cheapest option on ... MBFS may use MB dealers I guess, but not all companies will, and if the maintenance is down to you, then you could argue you sourced a superior part..just may have a job arguing it... hence keep the old parts, you can always sell the parts after you swap them back I am sure

Mate. Just mod it then return to standard at the end of the PCP period. Alternatively you can just buy:thumb: it of course

What does it say in the t&c that you signed up to?

That's my thoughts, Mod and replace back to Std when I hand it back but currently can't see me handing it back as it's such a beautiful car and being one of the last c63 6.2 v8's gives me another reason to keep her..

Also the 535+ is far too addictive hehehe

If the car goes back to the dealer, they will not have an issue, as they will sell the car with the mods if all oem to a point. Issue really lays with going back to finance house.

If you are going for another new pcp, then the dealership are desperate to get you in another car and wont care about mods, its mainly if the car goes back to mb finance.

That's good to know... My thinking was that they will want your business and at the 3-4 year mark depending on PCP they will want to offer you the next/latest or upgrade model car in part ex for your car removing what you owe..

Personally if I sold the car I'd remove all the mods to start with anyway and then sell them on.. Always nice to get some money back ;-)

Well I read my Agility agreement and it was inconclusive so, after a couple of attempts I got through to a helpful person at MB Finance.

To put this full and finally, for anyone in the same boat, our standpoint on Agility PCP is this.

"You can do what you like to the car BUT, it MUST be 100% original come time of return should you choose not to buy it". I clarified this further by asking about such things as exhaust parts where cutting of the original exhaust is required aka, second Cat delete or resonator delete. The answer was this... "You can change the whole exhaust however, should you cut and replace any parts within the original system then you WILL be billed for a complete factory exhaust (the section affected by the cutting) come time of car return".

So, things like Milltek second Cat delete pipes are a NO. However, headers providing they bolt on to rather that cut and sleeve on to the original exhaust are fine, as is the IPE rear section for example if that's a bolt on exhaust.
I didn't ask about superchargers as that's not exactly a modification you do on a car that's not a keeper but things like removable tunes, sports suspension, cosmetic items, wheels and air filters are all ok as they can all be removed and replaced with factory parts with no trace left. An LSD goes by the same rules but, that's fit and forget if you ask me as no one would know.

I hope this helps others. Now, can anyone point me to some bolt-on headers? :D

Last edited:
Well I read my Agility agreement and it was inconclusive so, after a couple of attempts I got through to a helpful person at MB Finance.

To put this full and finally, for anyone in the same boat, our standpoint on Agility PCP is this.

"You can do what you like to the car BUT, it MUST be 100% original come time of return should you choose not to buy it". I clarified this further by asking about such things as exhaust parts where cutting of the original exhaust is required aka, second Cat delete or resonator delete. The answer was this... "You can change the whole exhaust however, should you cut and replace any parts within the original system then you WILL be billed for a complete factory exhaust (the section affected by the cutting) come time of car return".

So, things like Milltek second Cat delete pipes are a NO. However, headers providing they bolt on to rather that cut and sleeve on to the original exhaust are fine, as is the IPE rear section for example if that's a bolt on exhaust.
I didn't ask about superchargers as that's not exactly a modification you do on a car that's not a keeper but things like removable tunes, sports suspension, cosmetic items, wheels and air filters are all ok as they can all be removed and replaced with factory parts with no trace left. An LSD goes by the same rules but, that's fit and forget if you ask me as no one would know.

I hope this helps others. Now, can anyone point me to some bolt-on headers? :D

I'm glad that you got to the bottom of this before spending money on mods that would have cost you dear at hand back time despite the unqualified views of others.

I have heard if a seat that had some modifications done that were removable. Seat took exception refused to carry out warranty work and sought to terminate the agreement.

I'd make sure that you get the advice from Mercedes in writing.

Just fitted headers and front sports cats and what a change, although loud it sounds amazing.. I am now fitting the whole pie system though cause it's crazy loud on start up when cold..

Get them u know it makes sense.. Hehe

I sell motorcycles, many on PCPs. Firstly, in terms of you owning the car, it's no different to ordinary HP. It's yours when you've paid for it. The main difference is that the value of it at the end of the term is crucial for a PCP but of no concern with HP (unless you default and they take it back)
The terms generally are that you mustn't do anything that would be detrimental to the value of the car/bike, you must maintain it in accordance with manufacturers recommendations and so on.
Now, if you take the 'hand the car back and take the equity' option, then the car goes to the finance company, who clear the balloon payment and give you what's left. They may not like any modification or non-MB bits at all, they won't be that knowledgeable about the marque and what's going to make it more valuable/saleable. In bike world, this is the same. But if you want to trade it in for a new one, I'll give you what I think it's worth in the deal, original or not, because I know the marque and what buyers are looking for. Any equity in it becomes your deposit for your next bike. Very few bikes remain unmodified and few only have manufacturer mods or accessories, that doesn't often spoil the value, usually it'll enhance it. The big caveat being that if I can't MOT it successfully, that's going to be a big problem for you.
I wouldn't go over the bike with any finer teeth on my comb than for any other part-ex.
You'll need to read all the small print though.... bikes aren't Mercedes cars..

Last edited:
I have heard if a seat that had some modifications done that were removable. Seat took exception refused to carry out warranty work and sought to terminate the agreement.

I'd make sure that you get the advice from Mercedes in writing.

I don't understand what you said there :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom