Most outrageous SUV??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palmball

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi R8 V10+ & BMW M5
Don't ask....because I can't explain :wallbash: Other than I should never have sold the ML as I've regretted it since.

Not that there's anything specifically wrong with the E63, because it's actually one of (maybe even THE) best driving all-rounder I've had. The ML isn't as good in many respects so I can't really put my finger on why I miss it so much other than it feels such an extravagance by being far more excessive than an SUV ever needs to be - in many ways it's a marvel what such a heavy and tall car has been engineered to do.

But we're not getting another ML, thats in the past. Instead, we're getting the benefit of all that was great about the ML but it in a more striking package - we just don't need all the practicality that the ML had so the coupe gives everything we need and nothing we don't. Err....well, OK maybe it does a bit more than we actually need/i]......

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, and I'm conscious that coupe SUV's tend to be viewed with a similar level of enthusiasm amongst car enthusiasts as contracting Ebola :p Regardless, I really like the look of these coupe SUV's and reckon it's a notable improvement on BMW's current X6. In fact, since I first saw the launch pictures I always knew we'd get one and it's now looking like we'll be getting the first in the UK.

The E63 was supposed to save me some money for my build project so I was going to try out the new GLE450 (AMG-Lite). Lets just say my local dealer have been very kind to me and I've dug deep so I could do it properly, all 585bhp-worth of 'proper' :D Yep, I've told the missus her folks have to pay more for the wedding, decided we don't need a fancy garden (when weeds provide all the greenery we could ever need) and I've swapped the carpets for vinyl :eek:

Should be spec'd pretty much the same as this, sh!t-brown interior and all; black paint, silver 22" wheels, no options other than Premium Package (which in itself means it has viritually everything :doh:).

mercedes-amg-gle-63-coupe-c322825032015082711_1-3_zps5igrj288.jpg

mercedes-amg-gle-63-coupe-c322825032015082711_6_zpshlqpddz3.jpg

mercedes-amg-gle-63-coupe-c322825032015082711_7_zpsol6fxpba.jpg

mercedes-amg-gle-63-coupe-c322825032015082711_2_zpsiyjp5kpk.jpg

iris-7_zpsouwxkz6w.jpeg

iris-9_zpsoka2szka.jpeg

Last edited:
Andrew - I don't understand you but I'm glad people like you exist :)

Looks fab, not for me though, I need a five seater. Boo hoo!

Silver caliper up front and red at the back?

I only have two things to add:

1. You've got a seriously impressive history of prior car ownership!
  2. In the words of Cat from Red Dwarf, "So what is it!?" - Ah, a GLE450...
  3. Very X6-like, which is another Marmite car, but I'm stoked for your puchase!
  4. Performance car owners can't count, fact.
:thumb:

Andrew - I don't understand you but I'm glad people like you exist :)

Things are no clearer from my seat either :doh:

Looks fab, not for me though, I need a five seater. Boo hoo!

Silver caliper up front and red at the back?

You....are in luck. It seats five :thumb:

The picture isn't of the actual car - it's the best pictures of a black one I could find online. My expectation is that it will arrive with four similarly coloured brakes :p

Last edited:
[*]In the words of Cat from Red Dwarf, "So what is it!?" - Ah, a GLE450...

Ha...two things you say??

Not quite - it's the Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S coupe....rolls right off the tongue that!

I was going to get the GLE450 but couldn't bring myself not to have the ludicrous full fat AMG.

Ha...two things you say??

I did say we/I can't count too. :D

Not quite - it's the Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S coupe....rolls right off the tongue that!

I was going to get the GLE450 but couldn't bring myself not to have the ludicrous full fat AMG.

I like your style Andrew, and why not? Looking forward to an in-depth review!

How DARE you!
You do realise that the impending death of the planet due to global warming will be all you're fault.

Ermmm..... what does it go like?

Just seen the price for the GLE 63 AMG and :O

Why don't you get a range svr ?

As long as you remember these large vehicles are primarily designed for Americans who, how shall I put this diplomatically ----- have "obesity issues" . Why would they build most of them in the USA otherwise ? They are frequently characterised by the apparent need of the manufacturer to include multiple comestible holders in the vehicle to permit continued calorie intake while on the move.---- Mercedes GLE 450 - where the grazing never stops.

What a cracker. That 450 engine sounds magnificent too.

looks fabulous, very much in the mould of an X6, which I also like...big crazy cars ! :)

9-12 month wait list and you can't get a discount.

In fact these are selling above list at the moment and really these are only a viable purchase if you're paying outright in cash.

Just seen the price for the GLE 63 AMG and :O

Partially because I can't afford it, so it wasn't a consideration for me. It's not all about list price - theres a deal to be had on GLE's, there isn't on the RRS.

But if I'm brutally honest, because I prefer the GLE :eek: Yep, hard to believe but after owning the ML63 and having experienced the RRS (admittedly not the SVR), I just do.

The RRS feels brittle in comparison - OK sure, it's made out of lush materials but it lacks construction integrity compared to the Merc. The AMG version gives away nothing in material quality either - it's wall to wall alcantara and 'exclusive' nappa leather (which is a different quality to MB's regular nappa leather).

And the next bombshell....I actually prefer the looks of this GLE coupe too :eek::eek::eek:

As long as you remember these large vehicles are primarily designed for Americans who, how shall I put this diplomatically ----- have "obesity issues" . Why would they build most of them in the USA otherwise ?

I suspect because America is the ML's biggest market (by some margin), so makes sense to construct it locally :dk:

Our previous US-built ML63 certainly didn't drive like a yank tank and, quite surprisingly, was the best constructed Merc I've had. It had tremendous built quality.

What a cracker. That 450 engine sounds magnificent too.

I'm sure it does....but this will be the full fat 5.5 V8 biturbo. So it'll have a 100% genuine V8 sound :D

Worth noting that the 450's sound is speaker enhanced (ala BMW M) and is one of the deciding factors for me spending the (considerable) extra dough for the proper one ;)

Would have to see one in the flesh as I am not an x6 fan, looks Interesting though and the reviews are good Andrew, how long do you have to wait?

Is the GLE450 actually in the pipeline? In so much as soon enough to place an order?

That I am interest in, but as an SUV not the coupe.

EDIT, just seen it's on the configurator but coupe only.

Would have to see one in the flesh as I am not an x6 fan, looks Interesting though and the reviews are good Andrew, how long do you have to wait?

In about two weeks I'm led to believe!

It just so happens that the dealer group have one in black coming in their first shipment. So I've bought it.

They also have a silver and a white one imminent, but I think the black is coming first. I wanted black because we've had a load of white cars recently, I don't really like silver and that's about all the choice you can get (Hyacinth red is on the list and I went through the pain of realising I didn't like that with my GT order :rolleyes:)

Is the GLE450 actually in the pipeline? In so much as soon enough to place an order?

That I am interest in, but as an SUV not the coupe.

EDIT, just seen it's on the configurator but coupe only.

The coupe is definitely immediately available as they've got a couple of those coming through on their imminent shipment.

I'm not sure if we'll get the 450 in the SUV, which wouldn't surprise me given the relative lack of choice MB UK offer us (e.g. very limited colour and interior choices, no 6-cylinder petrol or diesels on the new C class etc)

It looks like the GLE SUV petrol is the 500e Hybrid (if you don't want a V8 which I don't), which looks interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom