MOT at local garage, not MB - warranty and resale implication?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C60Free

Car
'18 C63 S
My MOT is due next month, and my local MB dealer has a bit of a bad reputation when it comes to servicing, based on reviews online and perhaps more importantly anecdotal reports on this forum...

The dealer I used for a recent B service is over an hour away, which seems a bit crazy to get an MOT done, despite them being very good, it's just not ideal having to take half a day out to get an MOT done....

I have plans to sell/PX the car, ideally back to MB in the next couple of years, and it has a full MB service history and a year left of the AMG approved used warranty remaining.

The question is, is there any 'risk' or implication of having an MOT done outside of the MB dealer network if all services remained at MB? Would MB still take it as a PX or buy it off me, or would it potentially cause them to reject a purchase/PX or even a warranty claim?

Thanks

No one knows or cares where the MOT test was done.

They will look it up online, and all they will be able to see (in the unlikely event that they will actually look for it) is a numeric identifier for the MOT testing station, not the name or location.

It really makes zero difference to Px value (or to anything else) where the MOT was done, as long as the car is showing on the DVSA website as 'passed'.

MOT is no more than a safety/compliance inspection and will have no adverse effect on any future sale.

My main dealer puts the cars into the Mot garage next door to them & charges you the full price. :mad: :doh: If you take it to them yourself they charge around £30.:)
No flies on the Main dealers:rolleyes:

Zero implication.

My main dealer puts the cars into the Mot garage next door to them & charges you the full price. :mad: :doh: If you take it to them yourself they charge around £30.:)
No flies on the Main dealers:rolleyes:
Well, if you look on the bright side of things, at least they're not charging you at £200 per hour to take it there, so you could say that they're under-charging and, if you had a 'free' coffee whilst waiting, you're winning all round ;)

Well, if you look on the bright side of things, at least they're not charging you at £200 per hour to take it there, so you could say that they're under-charging and, if you had a 'free' coffee whilst waiting, you're winning all round ;)

While that's true the only reason they don't charge £200 per hour to carry out an MOT is that the law doesn't permit them to do so. The MOT inspection carries a maximum price of £54.85 and no one can charge more than than that. By their own labour rates, MB dealers must be making a loss on the MOT.

That sounds conclusive then all, a trip saved, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom