Motorway Madness Continued........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oily Rag

Car
95 SL 500
Imagine the scene, you have just driven onto a slip road, and you are confronted by some of the slowest drivers in history, attempting to access the motorway at 40 mph, causing Trucks, Coaches, Vans and Cars, to either slow down or change lanes, knock-on effect of which is, If you are behind them, you have to dodge the retreating traffic and accellerate into the nearest gap, however small, and from there onto the fast lane to get free of the carnage. Or, you join the motorway behind them, and stay put, whilst the rest of the world (or so it seems) passes you, and then make your move. When will these people ever learn to accellerate to the speed of the motorway traffic, and then access the lanes at the same speed, thus causing next to no delay and/or no evasive maneouvres. Irritates the crap out of me this. Subsequently, these morons go on to become the ubiquitous, Lane 2 Hogger. After all, are'nt these lanes actually named Accelleration/Decelleration lanes for this purpose, or am I the only one who thinks that this makes sense.!!!!!!!!:wallbash:

Seen plenty of morons join at 40mph - as you said utter carnage. Seems more common.

*shakes fist* ban them I say :D

No this is one of my pet hates too, why oh why won't people accelarate down the on ramp and join the motorway at normal running spped for lane 1? I have actually seen people go down the on ramp an stop at the end waiting for a gap in the traffic, absolute madness.

It's the same when they exit slow down to 30 mph in lane 1 then exit instead of exiting at normal running speed.

As I have often said before Motorway driving needs to be part of a second test before people are allowed to use it. If you have not been trainined in motorway driving then unfortunately some people are actually that thick that they don't have a clue what to do, Insanity :wallbash:

My second driving lesson involved travelling along the A1 (as close as you'll get to motorway driving on L plates), the first thing he told me to do was use the full length of the slip road to get to a suitable speed and also that drivers on the carriageway do not need to give way. Being at a similar speed will make it easier to join and not hinder anyone coming behind you.

Maybe they should make Pass Plus mandatory rather than optional - it includes motorway / dual carriageway driving! Might be a problem for parts of wales, Cornwall and possibly other areas with a shortage of dual carriageways!

The trouble with Holiday weekends, lots of folk use the motorway who don't normally have reason to, and their awareness and experience simply isn't there

I have actually seen people go down the on ramp an stop at the end waiting for a gap in the traffic, absolute madness.

I agree with all that's been said, but at the end of the day, you MUST give way at the end of the on slip if you can't enter the motorway due to traffic already on there.

I agree with all that's been said, but at the end of the day, you MUST give way at the end of the on slip if you can't enter the motorway due to traffic already on there.

Remember it is illegal to stop on a sliproad or motorway carriageway so unless the traffic on a motorway is crawling or at a standstill it means you have got your entry wrong.

Imagine the scene, you have just driven onto a slip road, and you are confronted by some of the slowest drivers in history, attempting to access the motorway at 40 mph, causing Trucks, Coaches, Vans and Cars, to either slow down or change lanes, knock-on effect of which is, If you are behind them, you have to dodge the retreating traffic and accellerate into the nearest gap, however small, and from there onto the fast lane to get free of the carnage. Or, you join the motorway behind them, and stay put, whilst the rest of the world (or so it seems) passes you, and then make your move. When will these people ever learn to accellerate to the speed of the motorway traffic, and then access the lanes at the same speed, thus causing next to no delay and/or no evasive maneouvres. Irritates the crap out of me this. Subsequently, these morons go on to become the ubiquitous, Lane 2 Hogger. After all, are'nt these lanes actually named Accelleration/Decelleration lanes for this purpose, or am I the only one who thinks that this makes sense.!!!!!!!!:wallbash:

:ban:

Remember it is illegal to stop on a sliproad or motorway carriageway so unless the traffic on a motorway is crawling or at a standstill it means you have got your entry wrong.

That's what I said :thumb:

As I have often said before Motorway driving needs to be part of a second test before people are allowed to use it. If you have not been trainined in motorway driving then unfortunately some people are actually that thick that they don't have a clue what to do, Insanity :wallbash:

A thousand, no a million times YES. Motorway driving is just awful and people need to have it drilled in until it sticks.

The driving test needs to be made hard enough that it respects the fact you're in control of up to 7 tonnes of metal at speeds (cough) of 70mph. I'd suggest that an IAM-style evaluation is necessary at the very least.

Not only would this de-cretinise the roads, just think of all the saved CO2...

The one I saw this morning on the M8 in central Glasgow took the biscuit as far as I am concerned . This particular part of the M8 is one of the few , if not the only part of the UK motorway network which has traffic leaving and joining FROM THE RIGHT . I was on the eastbound side , passing Cowcaddens , in lane three , whith slower traffic in the two lanes to my left , my lane also busy with traffic all moving at approx 50 mph , when I noticed a Mondeo up ahead in the 4th lane ( on my right ) which exited down towards the Cathedral , trafficating left at the last minute then crossing onto the hatched area and stopping there in an attempt to rejoin the main carriageway !!!!!!!!! Thankfully , I saw him from a couple of hundred yards back and anticipated what happened next : some moron ahead actually stopped in the outside lane of the motorway , causing all traffic following to brake progressively harder , the 4x4 ahead of me actually producing smoke from his tyres . Thankfully , I had already braked and opened up a gap so was able to stop without drama . Mr Mondeo , shortly afterwards moved over to lane two , but when I drew alongside in my marked van , tooted to get his attention , and made a 'krankenkopf' gesture , I was met only by a blank , dazed expression , as if to say 'what's wrong ? ' !!!

Words fail me .

The one I saw this morning on the M8 in central Glasgow took the biscuit as far as I am concerned . This particular part of the M8 is one of the few , if not the only part of the UK motorway network which has traffic leaving and joining FROM THE RIGHT . I was on the eastbound side , passing Cowcaddens , in lane three , whith slower traffic in the two lanes to my left , my lane also busy with traffic all moving at approx 50 mph , when I noticed a Mondeo up ahead in the 4th lane ( on my right ) which exited down towards the Cathedral , trafficating left at the last minute then crossing onto the hatched area and stopping there in an attempt to rejoin the main carriageway !!!!!!!!! Thankfully , I saw him from a couple of hundred yards back and anticipated what happened next : some moron ahead actually stopped in the outside lane of the motorway , causing all traffic following to brake progressively harder , the 4x4 ahead of me actually producing smoke from his tyres . Thankfully , I had already braked and opened up a gap so was able to stop without drama . Mr Mondeo , shortly afterwards moved over to lane two , but when I drew alongside in my marked van , tooted to get his attention , and made a 'krankenkopf' gesture , I was met only by a blank , dazed expression , as if to say 'what's wrong ? ' !!!

Words fail me .

I know that bit of road well, my old GF stayed in the East end so was regularly on that bit of road and the common one is people use the cathedral exit (leaves from the right) as a fast lane and then cut back in when its congested, even past the section where the lines change from a normal lane marker to the thicker exit tye marker.

I don't think I've ever driven past the M1 southbound exit for the M25 or the bit of the M6 where the M6 Toll and M6 Free! separate without at least one car piling across the hatch marks, much like Channel 4's swerving MB ident.

LOOK AT THE ROAD SIGNS WHEN DRIVING. It's really not that difficult, surely? :dk:

I do a lot of motorway driving and see this regularly. As a precaution, if there's a suspect looking duffer in a Jap microcar, or something that might be driven by pensioners or motability users, I ease off on the slip road so that I dont approach them at 50-60-70mph, then find that they've slowed. Or even worse decided to stop because of all the scary lorries in the left hand lane.

:
I do a lot of motorway driving and see this regularly. As a precaution, if there's a suspect looking duffer in a Jap microcar, or something that might be driven by pensioners or motability users, I ease off on the slip road so that I dont approach them at 50-60-70mph, then find that they've slowed. Or even worse decided to stop because of all the scary lorries in the left hand lane.

Ditto.

Hate to admit it but I'm always wary of those Jap citycars on the M-way. I can't help but feel that they should stay in the city, lorries must look bloody massive from the inside of one of them.

:D Lorries must look even bigger looming up in the rear window of a slow moving citycar :D

Does any one know if the experiment with the traffic lights on Motorway slip roads has been accepted or scrapped. I have seen these lights but they have not been working. This must surely be one of the most dangerous ideas thought of by the so called road safety experts and must cause problems, for some, on entering a motorway at a suitable speed.

Does any one know if the experiment with the traffic lights on Motorway slip roads has been accepted or scrapped. I have seen these lights but they have not been working. This must surely be one of the most dangerous ideas thought of by the so called road safety experts and must cause problems, for some, on entering a motorway at a suitable speed.

Definitely still in use. I've seen them on red holding traffic on slip roads both the M6 and A1(M) in the last couple of weeks.

They have them in Glasgow city centre on at least one on-ramp leading onto the M8 - used to restrict the amount of traffic filtering on at peak times .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom