My new C Class Elegance Edition 125

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
W204 7G Auto

I have been reading this thread with interest. I took delivery of my C220CDI in July and up to now I love everything about it.

I specified Elegance in preference to Sport because comfort is the most important factor for me. I did consider going down to 16inch wheels but my son talked me out of it.

I had the car for two months before it occurred to me to try the E/S switch on the gearbox in the 'S' position. I did not expect much difference but I was wrong. I was on some twisty switchback roads in rural Northumberland and there was an immediate improvement in apparent power and response.

It is not my style to drive in this sporty manner but it is available in the Elegance if you want it.

The demo car I had when I tried the C250 out was an Elegance Auto. I was very impressed with the comfort and ride.

As you say, there is a bit of difference between the modes on the gearbox. In fact I was so impressed with the gearbox I chose an Auto, which is a first for me.

Brian1946 said:
I have been reading this thread with interest. I took delivery of my C220CDI in July and up to now I love everything about it.

I specified Elegance in preference to Sport because comfort is the most important factor for me. I did consider going down to 16inch wheels but my son talked me out of it.

I had the car for two months before it occurred to me to try the E/S switch on the gearbox in the 'S' position. I did not expect much difference but I was wrong. I was on some twisty switchback roads in rural Northumberland and there was an immediate improvement in apparent power and response.

It is not my style to drive in this sporty manner but it is available in the Elegance if you want it.

I must be honest I have not tried it in Sport mode yet. I will to try it, sounds fun. Will mess up my 55mpg average.

The mad thing is that the new 7g box is giving better fuel economy and performance on most models now.

Last edited:
I must be honest I have not tried it in Sport mode yet. I will to try it, sounds fun. Will mess up my 55mpg average.

The mad thing is that the new 7g box is giving better fuel economy and performance on most models now.

I doubt if you will notice much(if any) difference dring in s mode over c mode(i never have in any of the mb's i've owned)+ i think s mode gives a better drive.I think the better fuel economy on new mb's is down to blue efficiency engines more than the new 7g+ autoboxes?

The difference between C + S in my C220 is very noticeable.

The 7g+ box uses the gear to keep right in the peak torque band and feels like a power boost and is tremendously responsive.

It is a noticeable difference from my previous ML300 7g and C180K 5g - both of which made a little more noise but didn't generate a lot more forward momentum.

C + S Modes

I thought the switch to S mode would just affect the way the gearbox responded. This was the case with my W202 auto. It was difficult to detect much difference except that the gearbox changed down earlier when I was pushing on or when going uphill.

With my W204 C220 7g there seems to be more to it. I got this from the Mercedes online users manual :

Drive program S is characterised by the following:

sporty engine settings
the vehicle pulling away in first gear
the automatic transmission shifting up later
as a result of the later automatic transmission shift points, the fuel consumption possibly being higher

The difference is the ”sporty engine settings”.

Goldfish you must be the only person who has read their manual cover to cover! You have very good knowledge on the car - fancy a job!?
Most people just get in a car and press the right pedal.

Im also glad that the whole deal worked out for you as there were times you were close to walking away,,,

When I tried out the 250 I went through all 3 modes of the gearbox and found I loved M and the flappy paddles. The car had only covered just over 2k miles so didn't push it too hard but even so the improvement over a manual box was massive!

Main disadvantage I found was fuel consumption as I zeroed before I started and when I got back had only managed 37mpg despite a fair distance at 30mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom