New C-Class Estate Space for Spare?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark999

Car
SL400, Octavia Scout
Hi, It appears that the new C-Class comes with a can of sealant, but there is no spare wheel option?
Does anyone know if there is space for a spare.
Thanks,
Mark

Nope, not at all. Only option is in the boot

Space saver spare wheel - MBWorld.org Forums
space saver wheel but not very tidy!
80-mercedes_benz_c_200_13112014_m27_560x420_7ce7b05c7eae1abeef227f966e003495e160b8fd.jpg

Thanks for your replies, that's a shame its a real deal breaker.

Cheers,
Mark

Cheers,
Mark

How come? Surely the rest of the car matters more?

How come? Surely the rest of the car matters more?

It would certainly be a deal breaker for me too. Sealant is OK provided you only get a simple puncture in the tread but is no good at all if the tyre gets a slit in the side wall or similar.

Seeing as we use our car for long European trips and having been in a position previously where my tyre failed on the side wall due to running over a small piece of metal in the road late at night, I would have been properly stuffed without a spare wheel.

I could forgive no spare wheel in a small shopping car, but definitely not in a car where you might want to cover hundreds of miles in one stretch on a long European trip.

Really .... Not having a spare would not put me off ,, I would just phone MB or tyre place and get them out , why would I want to get out and make my clothes dirty just before a meeting or something

I've not had a spare wheel for 4 years...my S205 doesn't have one and neither did my previous Volvo V50. I've had 2 punctures, tyre fitters came out to me and changed the tyre whilst I waited. Not a problem.

Having to ring for someone else to come out to change a wheel...oh dear...

Having to ring for someone else to come out to change a wheel...oh dear...

I can understand both points of view. I'd be pretty fed up waiting to be rescued when I'm more than happy to change my own spare. They'd be more than a few instances when the waiting time would annoy you. Especially in a £40,000 motor

Having said that I wouldn't let it stop me buying a car. It's a calculated risk I guess. I'm scared to say how long it has been since I've had a puncture in case I give myself a dreaded curse. But I'll say it's been well over 10 years.

Fingers crossed for getting to work tomorrow. :doh:

Ant

Really .... Not having a spare would not put me off ,, I would just phone MB or tyre place and get them out , why would I want to get out and make my clothes dirty just before a meeting or something

I wouldn't be interested in waiting half an hour or longer for someone coming when I can change my wheel and be on my way in 5 minutes ; especially if it happens on a motorway or fast road where you are in danger of being hit - I'd want out of there ASAP .

Dirty clothes ? Hardly a consideration alongside life and safety , but anyway that's what overalls are for . I always have my firefighting kit in the boot and that covers all my clothes as well as having hi-viz inserts , but really a lot of the time you only need a pair of gloves .

I won't buy a car without a proper spare .

I can understand both points of view. I'd be pretty fed up waiting to be rescued when I'm more than happy to change my own spare. They'd be more than a few instances when the waiting time would annoy you. Especially in a £40,000 motor

Having said that I wouldn't let it stop me buying a car. It's a calculated risk I guess. I'm scared to say how long it has been since I've had a puncture in case I give myself a dreaded curse. But I'll say it's been well over 10 years.

Fingers crossed for getting to work tomorrow. :doh:

Ant

I have only had 3 punctures in 25 years of driving, all three were on run flats. To make matters worse I always swap my cars with run flats for real tyres as well, they are never on there for more than a week or two. So three flats on no more than 3 months compared with none in 25 years shows how crap they are.

So, I would be happy to not have a spare, but if Mercedes start using run flats that is when you need to really panic! :D

Cheers,
Mark

Yes, any car without a spare wheel means no sale to me also!

I understand the worry about a spare wheel, but I can't see how it can be a deal breaker. Surely running costs, performance, reliability and build quality come way before a spare wheel. I think it's something people are going to have to get over, as spare wheels are getting more and more rare. Saying that, I did have a customer refuse to buy a car the other day because we didn't have a printed brochure. The car had only just be released too...

Maybe along with other skills, people are losing the ability to be able to change a wheel. ;) Frankly, I would feel rather silly waiting 2 hours for somebody to come out and help and would much rather do it myself and be on my way. I keep overalls and hand cleaner in my car for just such an occasion.
I also keep a container of sealant goo as back up just in case I should get a puncture on a motorway and, if possible, I would use that to be on my way as quickly as I can rather than have to jack the car up on the hard shoulder.
Actually, my Lotus doesn't have a spare wheel but that's only because there is no room and, then again, I don't tend to use that for mile munching over in Europe.
I don't really understand the move away from the spare wheel in a premium quality saloon car. It just smacks of unnecessary penny pinching to me.

Last edited:
One of the guys on the old BM3W.co.uk forum got a split in his sidewall while at the 'Ring, he filled up with gunk and then did 3 more laps before heading home.
Far bigger balls than me, I wouldn't have dared, but shows you how good these can of gunk are.
I think many are worrying about an issue that simply isn't there.

So the manufacturer can claim a higher capacity boot?

So mount it under the floor in the time honoured fashion.:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom