New guy is so converted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mars1960

Car
SL55 AMG. CLK 500.
Hi all,
My GF loves convertibles so last month i decided to buy her (i love V8's) a CLK 500 convertible, (WHAT A MACHINE) 2003 in tanzanite blue with black roof.
I get the pleasure of driving this (i own an XKR) at least twice weekly and what an absolute joy.
I am so converted to Mercedes i am now selling my XKR and am looking for a SL55 AMG which i will be having kleeman tuned at CKS.
I will be seeking a 2002/2003 model, if anyone has any tips that a new guy to buying one of these MUST know please share.
Mars.

Wow, 91 views and not even one "welcome to the forum", friendly bunch aren't you lol.

Welcome to the forum Mars. I'm friendly:D

The XKR is a great looking car, so you really must have the Mercedes bug to consider selling that on. The SL is however a special car, and the 55k engine is something else.
Be sure to read up on the things to look out for when buying.

Hi and welcome.

When you say kleeman tuned. What are you looking to have done.

If you want to up the power etc i would also look at the eurocharged stuff if you need any prices feel free to contact me about them.

Welcome Mars good choice of car for the better half.
I just love it when a plan comes together hope you get what your looking for!

Tony.

A word of warning if buying a 2002/2003 model. A car of that age has been around long enough to have slipped below the service radar so vital to make them a good long term proposition. Look for a car with relatively few owners with a sound unbroken service history. Things to look for ----roof, suspension [ ABC] and brake system [SBC] problems.

Mercedes-Benz R230 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Thanks for the welcome and the advice @grober, thats how i bought my XKR, 2 owners full main dealer history and only 28,000 mls at 5 years old.
@Andy, the stage 1, remap and supercharger pully, i can't see the point in the extra cost for stage 2.
Also i will def be having some exhaust mods, iv'e heard the standard model and like my XKR in standard form it's too quiet for my taste, i like the sound of the eisenmann.

Hi and Welcome to you.:thumb:

If i were you i would seriously look at the eurocharged stuff

If you want me to put a price together for you i can.

Also if your not going to go for the bigger heat exchanger etc. One thing i would look to upgrade is just the intercooler pump. These are a very weak point on the 55 amg engine.

Welcome to the forum.
What is it you want from the car as there are so many ways to go?

Is it a daily driver, I would start by getting the car fully checked over and dealing with any minor niggles first.

If i were you i would seriously look at the eurocharged stuff

If you want me to put a price together for you i can.

Also if your not going to go for the bigger heat exchanger etc. One thing i would look to upgrade is just the intercooler pump. These are a very weak point on the 55 amg engine.

Welcome to the forum.
What is it you want from the car as there are so many ways to go?

Is it a daily driver, I would start by getting the car fully checked over and dealing with any minor niggles first.
Andy, iv'e just checked CKS and they say in the ECU remap section that they have teamed up with eurocharged performance so does this mean that you are them and they are you? or can you offer me a better deal for the same work and power increase?.
Thanks for the tip, i will have the intercooler pump upgrade
here is the link to what i was wanting done.
AMG 55 Kompressor Stage 1 Performance Upgrade package AMG 55 Kompressor Stage 1 Performance Upgrade package [CKS-55ST1-230] - £1,138.99 : CKS Performance

Savman, yes but i also use the GF's clk500, but thats basically what i want for starters and then progress to extras like full sport exhaust, larger throttle body and injectors and more cooling. The car will be thoroughly checked over first, i assume there are certain parts that def need checking/renewing before tuning even to stage 1.

I am no way linked with cks at all lol.

I can price up the full costings for the pulley map and johnson pump upgrade.

Im sure i can do a better price for you. That price they quote is for supply only not including fitting.

I am no way linked with cks at all lol.

I can price up the full costings for the pulley map and johnson pump upgrade.

Im sure i can do a better price for you. That price they quote is for supply only not including fitting.
OK, that sounds good, include fitting please Andy.
Also include before and after dyno please.
cheers.

Ok will do that on monday morning.

I always include a before and after dyno when carrying out work like this.

Andy is a great guy and highly recomended.

Without wanting to throw a spanner in the works here is my suggestion.

Forget the 180mm crank pulley it creates a serious amount of heat is a pain in the **** to fit and has to be fitted very precisely.

Get a larger heat exchanger and if you dont know the history of the IC pump then change it for the Johnson or Bosch 010 pump. Then if you want a pulley upgrade get the 84mm supercharger pulley it is far easier to fit and you will still hit similar figures to the ones quoted on CKS. You can always add a crank pulley later and go for monster torque if you wish.

Check your throttle body first some SL's already had the 78mm fitted as standard so the gains if any are minimal. Injectors thats a personal choice I found the stock ones fine until I went above a 180mm crank pulley.

Instead of TB and injectors you should get some headers it will make as big an increase as a pulley change and the power is repeatable and will help reduce core temps.

Im on the same lines as you. I was going to quote for the kompressor pulley upgrade opposed the the crank pulley.

I would really only carry out these mods with fitting a new pump at the same time as we have seen it time and time again these pumps giving up

I strongly suggest you follow Savman 's and Andy' s advice!

I did and am well happy with the results!

Wow, 91 views and not even one "welcome to the forum", friendly bunch aren't you lol.

On a hot summer day you expect them to be looking on the forum ?

They are all out driving their 'beasts' man !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom