New Shocks - Bilstein verses Genuine MB.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Egbert Nobacon

As the title suggests I am wanting to replace the (standard - not self levelling) rear shocks on my C140 and I have a choice.

I can get Bilstein (listed as OEM by the supplier) for £95 ish per side or go to Merc and pay £125 plus vat per side.

I have checked WIS and unlike rear springs, there are not different shocks depending on the specification level of the car.

Whilst I have no objection in paying Mercedes prices to obtain a correct part for a vehicle I would object to paying more for essentially the "same" part with different packaging.

I am drawn to the Bilsteins, can anyone give me a reason why it wouldn't be a sensible option to take ?

Bilsteins have a superb reputation. Certainly an OEM supplier for MB and other manufacturers, and a manufacturer of high end suspension systems too.

PS You really should insist on the bacon. It's what makes eggs complete.

oem AMG shocks on the w202 and w211 were bilstien, if you go the dealer route you will most prb get the same shock with a nice markup.... worht checking prices anyhow as very occasionallt they do come out cheaper at the dealers!

As said above.

I had Bilsteins on several cars (not MB) in the past and they were superb, top-notch quality.

I don't think you can go wrong with Bilsteins.

Incidentally, the original dampers on some older MB cars I dealt with in the past were Sachs. They were clearly labelled as such. Would be interesting to see if you could tell the original manufacturer of the existing shocks when you take them off?

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
As said above.

I had Bilsteins on several cars (not MB) in the past and they were superb, top-notch quality.

I don't think you can go wrong with Bilsteins.

Incidentally, the original dampers on some older MB cars I dealt with in the past were Sachs. They were clearly labelled as such. Would be interesting to see if you could tell the original manufacturer of the existing shocks when you take them off?

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the advice.

The ones on the car I believe are Sachs and I have ordered a replacement pair (again Boge/Sachs) for £187 all in from GSF.

I know that my w124 has sach/boge and Bilstein listed as the OEM shocks for my coupe. I think either brand will be Ok

Worth remembering that M-B will use more than one supplier for many parts, a sensible course of action to maintain a supply chain for components. So providing the part you purchase is to original M-B OE spec the actual manufacturer's name shouldn't make any difference. This is a typical case in point. Sachs/Bilstein for shocks, Bosch/Beru for ignition parts etc etc

I've recently replaced my rear shocks with Bilstein, although the originals were Sachs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom