Nokian WR G2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

x332race

MB Enthusiast
Can anyone say if the Nokian WR G2 is classed as an all-season tyre or just a winter tyre....can they be used all year round?

I have Vredestein Quatrac 3 on my car and my wife is so impressed with their performance over winter, she wants them on her car, but they do not make the size needed whereas Nokian do. We live in a fairly rural area where traction is more important than performance most of the time!

I have run these high silica/ low temperature tyres all year round in the UK for many years with no adverse effects. Vredestein Wintracks, Nokian WR's Michelin Alpin Premacy's It's simply not my experience they wear rapidly at higher ambient temperatures. They have all achieved 20K miles plus. You will lose a bit of the surface "siping" but retain the other winter advantages of the wide channel asymmetric tread pattern and low temp rubber characteristics. Many tyre manufacturers are incorporating silica in their summer tyre mix for its low rolling resistance characteritics anyway. Their tread patterns will give rise to a slight increase in road noise and they won't corner quite so well compared a summer tyre but otherwise there is no downside.
I can't comment on the Nokian WR G2 specifically but my impression is that the Michelin Pilot Alpin range trade a little of their winter traction ability for slightly more sophisticated ride characteristics which might be a clincher for all year use.

The tread pattern of the WR G2 is very similar to that of the Quatrac and the Nokian tyre gets good reviews on other sites and they seem to indicate that it is all weather....not too expensive either on Mytyres (cant seem to find it any cheaper elsewhere)

The tyre has a snowflake symbol on it, and one site said it was suitable for all round use. I currently am running a runflat version on a Clubman and am thinking about fitting some to my L200. The winter grip is very good, and they are good on water too.

I will be changing the Clubman wheels back to the summer tyres. They do seem to use more fuel than the summer tyres, and it seems silly to waste the winter grip on summer roads and then to have to buy anoher set when next winter starts.

Also the WR G2s chuck a lot of dirt up off the road, which is not good if you have a car that sucks dirt up the back.

Last edited:
The WR G2, Nokian Tyres’ third generation in the unique line of “All-Weather Plus” tires, offers the best performance in every season. The asymmetrical inside-out tread pattern allows our engineers to design different areas of the tread to focus on the different driving conditions you will encounter throughout the year. So while seasons may change, your choice of all-weather tires remains the same: Nokian WR G2

The above is from Nokian's US site...they also say that the WR G2 has low rolling resistance, so should have reasonable fuel economy...not that this is of great concern with a 5 litre engine. They are calling it an all-season tyre over in US

We spend a lot of time in the French Alps in the summer as well as the winter and have noticed that a lot of the locals can't be bothered to switch wheels / tyres and run winter tyres all year round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom