Not a Merc, somewhat mental.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Given that the venerable Triumph Spitfire wasn't renowned for its handling (and only had to cope with about 70 BHP, IIRC), who thought it was a good idea to kit one out with a Hayabusa engine? :eek:

Instant death at the first corner, I'd have thought..

1970 Triumph GT6 with Suzuki Hayabusa engine

Cheers,

Gaz

Given the spitfire is over 3x the weight of the bike the engine is designed for, and the engine doesn't really have that much power, about the same as the 1.6T in a C180, it seems a bit of a silly thing to have done if you ask me.

Given the spitfire is over 3x the weight of the bike the engine is designed for, and the engine doesn't really have that much power, about the same as the 1.6T in a C180, it seems a bit of a silly thing to have done if you ask me.

I'd reckon a Hayabusa has almost 50HP more than a C180, and has the ability to rev to 10800rpm, Spitfires are relatively light compared to modern cars, should be very fast compared to a standard one.

Russ

That's the new current generation 2010ish Haya engine. The older one that this'll be using is the same power as the C180 at about 156bhp. Not as much torque though, so yeah, you'd have to be taking this spitfire very high in the rev range for it to really get going.

After having owned an RX8 with the rotary engine that's quite similar in characteristics to a bike engine (low torque, high revs) you had to really hammer it and treat it like a bike engine. You'd cruise at 30mph at around 3.5k and hit motorway speeds in first gear on slip roads.

Seems a completely bizarre match for a spitfire.

That's the new current generation 2010ish Haya engine. The older one that this'll be using is the same power as the C180 at about 156bhp. Not as much torque though, so yeah, you'd have to be taking this spitfire very high in the rev range for it to really get going.

After having owned an RX8 with the rotary engine that's quite similar in characteristics to a bike engine (low torque, high revs) you had to really hammer it and treat it like a bike engine. You'd cruise at 30mph at around 3.5k and hit motorway speeds in first gear on slip roads.

Seems a completely bizarre match for a spitfire.

LOL an rx8? Lol that is absolutely no comparison to a motorbike engine that's more of a comparison to a Honda vtec engine! Stick a motorbike engine in any thing under 1000kg and it will be an animal, just YouTube it to see there's plenty been done.

It's not a Spitfire; it's a GT6. Or is it? If it has the GT6 Mk 2 suspension, introduced in 1969, which was also subsequently fitted to the Spitfire V, the handling should be fine; my betting is that it has.

The 'Busa engine has 50% more power than the GT6, and would weigh, I suspect, at most half the weight of the Triumph six-cylinder original.

It might well be quite similar to an RX8, though much less powerful and torquey; the engine would hold together much better as well, though...

The 'Busa lump is geared to do 190 mph at 11000 rpm; if the gearing is similar, that would be about 4350 rpm at 75. As a fun car, it might be rather good, if you could live with the high revs. Many RX8 owners found they could.

Sitting so close to the ground, I'd bet it would feel very fast. I wouldn't want more than 150 hp in a Triumph Spitfire -or GT6 - without major mods to the suspension and brakes in any event.

Last edited:
LOL an rx8? Lol that is absolutely no comparison to a motorbike engine that's more of a comparison to a Honda vtec engine! Stick a motorbike engine in any thing under 1000kg and it will be an animal, just YouTube it to see there's plenty been done.

LOL you here to show yourself up again? Owned one 'av you in your seemingly infinite motoring wisedom?

I said it has similar characteristics, which it does. I didn't compare the two. :doh:

Last edited:
Many RX8 owners found they could.

Exactly, I did, it was excellent. I've very little bad to say about my ownership of an RX8, it was joyous to drive. Even though I did average 11mpg over the life of my ownership! :devil:

LOL you here to show yourself up again? Owned one 'av you in your seemingly infinite motoring wisedom?

I said it has similar characteristics, which it does. I didn't compare the two. :doh:

I've driven about 4 and they are absolutely no comparison to the cbr600 I had or the r6 or the rsv mille (engines), the fact the 600's revved to almost twice that of the rx8 and you don't need to rev a bike to go fast at all like you suggested! but of course you would know that wouldn't you big man! In your little head an rx8 is the same as a motorbike engine LOL have you actually rode a bike like the busa? If you did you would understand it's nothing compared to your little rx8, stop reading internet spec sheets.........next ridiculous comparison?????

As I said I didn't compare the two. I did not make a comparison. No comparison was made. What is wrong with you? :dk:

After having owned an RX8 with the rotary engine that's quite similar in characteristics to a bike engine (low torque, high revs) you had to really hammer it and treat it like a bike engine

You have to hammer it and treat it like a bike engine? Wtf lol sit on a bike anything like a 600, 750 or a litre bike and tell me you have to hammer it to get the most out of it, your bum hole would be weaping before you get the throttle half way!

^^this is why I had to comment on your ridiculous comparison.

Yes, where in that am I making a comparison? There was no comparison made. Oh my god... :doh:

Can you please highlight the words which comprise this comparison?? "like" by the way forms a simile, and is in no way a comparison, if that's the bit you're struggling with.

I said it has similar characteristics. It does, bike torque curves prove that. There's a reason they rev so high. It suits bikes very much, as they weigh so little you can get them into their torque curve very quickly and easily. Putting that same engine into something 3 to 4 times heavier and suddenly it's far less suited.

"driven about 4". Of course you have. Enough to count on one hand but you can't remember the figure. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes, where in that am I making a comparison? There was no comparison made. Oh my god... :doh:

Can you please highlight the words which comprise this comparison??

You said you have to hammer it like a bike engine can you not read? stop trying to steer away from the facts my friend, you had an rx8 motorbike engine I bet it was a beast LOL.

Just trolling you like you do with me, no need to get emotional babe.

Can you please highlight the words which comprise this comparison?? "like" by the way forms a simile, and is in no way a comparison, if that's the bit you're struggling with.

I said it has similar characteristics. It does, bike torque curves prove that. There's a reason they rev so high. It suits bikes very much, as they weigh so little you can get them into their torque curve very quickly and easily. Putting that same engine into something 3 to 4 times heavier and suddenly it's far less suited.

We're not talking about the car here were talking about you saying you have to basically rip the bikes neck to get it going......silly boy

Why you editing your post so much?? And yeah about 4 I've driven 100's of cars sorry I couldnt remember exactly how many of them I've drove.

Can you? You really aren't in a position to mock others' literacy buddy... :D

What else might we be doing cupcake? :crazy:

So your losing this so you resort to literacy as always being a little bitch, come on i-conica when your sticking your 2 pence in with others your such a big boss man.

I can remember exactly how many of each model of car I've driven. :dk:

I've forgot driving half the stuff you have even sat in and the rx8 wasn't a special one, so why would I care to remember how many times I've drove different ones? Im not some sado like you that keeps a record of what cars ive drove and how many times, I have far more important things in my life than to remember the exact times I've drove a specific vehicle.

And your editing your post to make yourself look better lol you plum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom