OM642 - Oil leak and wobbly turbo. Some advise please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogshome

Car
R350 CDI
Hi all. I have a leak down the back somewhere. It is engine oil. The top of the block looked dry where the fuel filter is, but I can't even get an endoscope at the back. It's a 2013 R350 CDI with 100K miles.

I swapped the read seals and that isn't leaking. I've replaced the PCV.

Had another look for oil today and the turbo inlet was wet with some oil. I idly put my finger on the shaft and it's loose. Lateral play :confused: The impeller is not touching the housing, but I wouldn't want to try any feelergauge in there! It's that close. There has been no noise and MPG and power are good. I guess 100K and 18,000 mile oil changes are to be blamed.

So I think a core is the way forward?
The look for leaks once its off?

Wobbly turbo

Hi all. I have a leak down the back somewhere. It is engine oil. The top of the block looked dry where the fuel filter is, but I can't even get an endoscope at the back. It's a 2013 R350 CDI with 100K miles.

I swapped the read seals and that isn't leaking. I've replaced the PCV.

Had another look for oil today and the turbo inlet was wet with some oil. I idly put my finger on the shaft and it's loose. Lateral play :confused: The impeller is not touching the housing, but I wouldn't want to try any feelergauge in there! It's that close. There has been no noise and MPG and power are good. I guess 100K and 18,000 mile oil changes are to be blamed.

So I think a core is the way forward?
The look for leaks once its off?

Wobbly turbo
Sounds like oil cooler seals buddy . Right down in the V of the engine .
Cheapish seals but 8-10 hours Labour I'm afraid .
Plenty on YouTube if you search “om642 oil cooler seals “.
edit… I see you have a 2013 engine so they may have been done already ?
You will have to get a scope in to confirm I think .

Hiya, Can't get an endoscope in below the inlet manifolds, actuator and the cooler at the back, even with the MAFs and duct off. It's ram packed in there. You are probbely right though!

Thoughts on the wobbly wheel? I don't remember it having that much play about 5,000 miles ago when I was last in there.

Hiya, Can't get an endoscope in below the inlet manifolds, actuator and the cooler at the back, even with the MAFs and duct off. It's ram packed in there. You are probbely right though!

Thoughts on the wobbly wheel? I don't remember it having that much play about 5,000 miles ago when I was last in there.
Can’t help with the turbo , other than it should not be wobbling .
The oil cooler seals eventually show up as lots of oil collecting in the underneath plastic panels .

Apparently a fairly gross amount of wobble for plain bearings is normal. 0.4mm at the centre of the shaft on some specs. That means more at the end...

Mine isn't quite touching the housing, but it's very close. So not yet knackered, but I don't think it'll do another 20K.

It has to come off to do cooler seals, so when the weather warms up...

Interesting finding about this shaft.

However, what size endoscope you using. I had oil cooler seal issue and managed to show to my local mechanic where the oil is coming from.
OM652 2013.....i would have another look towards oil cooler....

Up down play in a turbo is normal (to a certain extent). It's in/out that has to be minimal and indicates wear if its high

i do hate the om642. As tight as hell with everything rammed in the V

Quite. A real backward step from the om648 where everything is easy peasy.
Yeah I have both and the 648 is a pleasure to work one. A no hassle engine compared to the 642

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom