Over wide tyres help prevent kerbing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pitts Pilot

Car
SL63 AMG 6.3, VW Tiguan 2.0
I read somewhere recently, probably an old 'Wives' tale, that if you fit, say 295 R19 tyres instead of the MB recommended 285 R19 the extra width helps the tyre wall, with its built in rim protector, provide a little more protection from kerbing, because it protrudes a little more.

Someone knowledgeable tell me this is total BS! PLEASE!!

Besides, I'm inclinded to stick with MB specs.

It's more a case of some tyres have rim protection, others (in exactly the same size) appear not to. IIRC the Pirellis on my cab (not there any more, have changed wheels and tyres) had, whereas the Falkens on my previous S203 MB did not (205/55R16's in both cases) but don't quote me on that!

Of course a wider tyre will protect the rim more.
Does that mean you should fit them? I wouldn't personally. Too many other compromises

If the gearing allows say a 295 35 x 19R and 285 35 x 19R the difference in rolling radius is the determining factor for the speedo to read correctly and the rim width say 10.5" wide. You would need to ascertain if the tyre manufacturer condones the fitting of a tyre that width as well.
Then we have rim protection. The best tyre around for value grip and life service I have discovered is called a Neuton NT5000 it is made by Yokohama and sold through a single source importer they stick like baby poo too by the way!
Back O/T though. These tyres have a fabulous kerb rim, utterly protects the rim edge, for a so called budget tyre it is so well thought out.Google Image Result for http://www.neuton-tyres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Neuton-NT5000-Advert.jpg

I run 285's on the SL for this reason over the 275's - both were approved MB fitment. If they were not I wouldnt run them.

Watch brands though.. different tyre brands can be slightly wider dependent on the shoulder design.. Conti'sportss were wider than Toyos for example in my TVR days.. and would rub on high compression when the factory Toyo's didnt. Same "width" 255......

Of course a wider tyre will protect the rim more.
Does that mean you should fit them? I wouldn't personally. Too many other compromises

Other than the speedo under reading by about a percent, and a very slighty bigger contact patch, what "other compromises" where you thinking of?

Not sure that getting the tyre walls to take the abuse that would otherwise damage the wheels is a particularly sensible strategy... :dk:

If the gearing allows say a 295 35 x 19R and 285 35 x 19R the difference in rolling radius is the determining factor for the speedo to read correctly and the rim width say 10.5" wide. You would need to ascertain if the tyre manufacturer condones the fitting of a tyre that width as well.
Then we have rim protection. The best tyre around for value grip and life service I have discovered is called a Neuton NT5000 it is made by Yokohama and sold through a single source importer they stick like baby poo too by the way!
Back O/T though. These tyres have a fabulous kerb rim, utterly protects the rim edge, for a so called budget tyre it is so well thought out.Google Image Result for http://www.neuton-tyres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Neuton-NT5000-Advert.jpg
Thanks, but I don't think the NT5000 is made in 285 R19? Pity, I like tyres that stick like poo!
:)

Everyone harps on about rim protection, they don't realise that rim protection was designed to protect the wheel rim from stones and debris thrown up from the road.
Anything more than a slight graze against a kerb pushes the sidewall of the tyre away from the rim leaving the wheel to take all the damage.

I previously had a vehicle with steel wheels, I wish I'd taken photos of the stone chips on the leading edge of the wheel rim to show why rim protection was deemed necessary.

Russ

Thanks, but I don't think the NT5000 is made in 285 R19? Pity, I like tyres that stick like poo!
:)

No I don't think they will make them that size you might be lucky with NT8000 though?

I ran a set on a Saab 9-5 Aero Automatic that was tuned to 300 fwhp gave the tyres no mercy at all and still got almost double the distance out of them than Conti Sport2's Michelin Primacy HP and Pirelli PNero's

Oh and on a track day against an Elise he managed to get 50m away from me over a 9 mile run and I was on road tyres he on semi track Toyo's
An epic little daily tyre.

Most tyre manufacturers have models that incorporate rim protection, essentially this is a thick bit of rubber protruding all around the hub, usually with a triangular cross section.

The idea is that the rubber buffer takes the beating instead of the wheel rim.

But as MOCAS said, simply using wide tyres thus allowing the sidewall to get the abuse from the kerb is not a good (or safe) idea.

Most tyre manufacturers have models that incorporate rim protection, essentially this is a thick bit of rubber protruding all around the hub, usually with a triangular cross section.

The idea is that the rubber buffer takes the beating instead of the wheel rim.

But as MOCAS said, simply using wide tyres thus allowing the sidewall to get the abuse from the kerb is not a good (or safe) idea.

I was thinking that too - if the tyre was a bit wider than intended then the sidewall would bulge more so you'd damage the sidewall before getting to rim protector.

I was thinking that too - if the tyre was a bit wider than intended then the sidewall would bulge more so you'd damage the sidewall before getting to rim protector.
I was looking at some Pirelli P Zeros recently.

They have this triangular protrusion that is planted on the side wall; nothing to do with the side wall itself, so no bulging.

This triangle of extra rubber is discrete, but seems to give good kerb protection, and protects the side wall of the tyre too. Win/Win!

Cheers :)

This triangle of extra rubber is discrete, but seems to give good kerb protection, and protects the side wall of the tyre too. Win/Win!

I just don't see how it could. If you scrape a kerb then any bit of rubber is either going to be gouged off or it'll just be pushed out of the way.

I'd never thought about this before, but the descriptions others have given, that the rim protection strip is there to protect against stones, seems much more feasible.

Mrs Millar works on the theory that the wheels make a crunching on contact with granite kerb stones to advise you that you have reached your chosen destination.

Years of fruitless attempts at re-education have failed. Can you buy solid rubber tyres that wrap arond the wheel?

I'd stick with the MB recommended sizes personally. Spend the extra cash on an occasional wheel refurb if needed - or dare I say it be extra careful when parking :eek: :)

I run 255 tyres on the back, the car came supplied with them. Its meant to run 245 tyres but I've not had any issues with running the wider tyres.

Mrs Millar works on the theory that the wheels make a crunching on contact with granite kerb stones to advise you that you have reached your chosen destination.

Years of fruitless attempts at re-education have failed. Can you buy solid rubber tyres that wrap arond the wheel?

Touching a big piece of wood here, but my girls (wife and daughters) used to worse with plastic wheel trims - I must have bought a significant number of replacements over the years.

Learn to drive properly, save some cash and keep ya speedo accuracy OEM.

Spatial awareness is a wonderful thing people! :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom