Panic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

agriff

Car
E320 CDI
Encouraged by how well various mods have gone I thought I would atempt to fix what I thought was a problem. How does it go? a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. The accelerator pedal was moving from side to side and not just down & up like it should. No problem I thought I'll just whip off the panel and find out what's going on down there. I should have stopped when it started to get difficult. I could not for the life of me find out why it was still attached after removing all the screws. After lots of laying upsidedown and pushing & pulling I realised that the previous owner had for some unknown reason stuck a patch of velcro over a screw. After this was undone the panel duly floped down. So far so bad. The only things still attached were the bonnet release, not to difficult, and the steering wheel hight adjustment. That's my problem. How do you get the little adjuster knob on this side if the panel off? I've tried brute force but didn't want to break it. Also tried pushing a small screwdriver up the hole that's on the back, just incase it released a catch of some sort. So now I'm stuck I had to stop due to darkness and the need of beer, the thing is still attached and I still haven't sorted out the accelerator pedal. Oh and by the way I broke a bit of plastic off the steering wheel height adjustment housing. So now in depths of depression please help!

Last edited:
Steering Wheel Adjustment Lever . . . Brute force . . It WILL pull off if you pull it hard enough.

Have a beer and try again !

Still can't work out why you need to remove that panel to get to the accelerator pedal . . . have you checked that the nuts holding the pedal to the floor are done up tightly ?

S.

Yes I've checked that. The problem is the other end where the cable goes thru the bulkhead. There seems to be an plastic adjustment nut that sits in the hole that goes thru to the engine compartment. When the accelerator is depressed it pulls said nut and thread it's on out and to the right. It doesn't look like it should do that. Any ideas

Hi Agriff,
I'd be very interested to hear how you get on - I've been trying to do a very similar thing! My accelerator pedal is also moving slightly left-right as well as up/down and is making an annoying clicking sound every time I push it down from idle. I took the screws off and had a look with the bonnet pull/wheel adjuster still attached but couldn't really work out how to fix the problem!

Be interesting to find out if it is just work linkage, and what parts we need to fix it!

I think the nut and thread is supposed to be pulled out (as you describe, mine is exactly the same), and it's just the linkage being a bit worn out which means it isn't being pulled out exactly straight.

I first thought the click was something to do with the gearbox, couldn't believe it was the cr*ppy plastic linkage MB have chosen to use!

Cheers!
Trevor.

These are the parts you need:

MA202 301 19 20 LEVER £4.78
MA129 301 02 18 BEARING £1.73

The lever is the dog-legged shaped piece, the bearing is the pivot. I can't remember how I fixed mine but dont remember it being difficult.

I expected the parts to be around £50 thats why I put up with mine for nearly a year until the misses refused to drive it anymore!!

Jimmy,
What a star you are! It's info like this which really makes MBClub rule! I've put in my order!
Kind regards,
Trevor.

I've replaced accelerator arm and pivot but still get the annoying feeling thru the pedal when I take my foot off. It's a kind of a click that you feel thru your foot. The movement from side to side has stopped and it is generally better but not gone completly. Is it possible that the spring that's attached to the arm has become weak. If it were stronger it may line the cable up with the hole better.

tosborne said:
Jimmy,
What a star you are! It's info like this which really makes MBClub rule! I've put in my order!
Kind regards,
Trevor.

:) Glad to help.

I still can't believe how cheap those parts are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom