Panoramic Roof Maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I understand. My assumption was indeed incorrect o_O

The Mrs acquired a Toyota that belonged to my mum and dad who had owned it since new, having it serviced by Toyota annually. It is now 12 years old and has never had a brake fluid change. This is one of those ‘additional’ items but unlike MB, Toyota only perform the additional items if the customer specifically requests them to do so.

Not great for non car savvy people who assume their car is getting everything required when they stick with main dealer servicing.

I drained and flushed the brake fluid myself and let’s just say it was grateful!
That’s barking mad, to have time and mileage related service operations in the schedule and never perform them.

If the owner asks for those items to be removed then that’s their choice, but to not even mention it is madness.

Is this a practice or all Toyota main dealers or just the one your in laws used?

If I was the main dealer then I would not stamp the service book unless all scheduled operations had been completed.

That’s barking mad, to have time and mileage related service operations in the schedule and never perform them.

If the owner asks for those items to be removed then that’s their choice, but to not even mention it is madness.

Is this a practice or all Toyota main dealers or just the one your in laws used?

If I was the main dealer then I would not stamp the service book unless all scheduled operations had been completed.
The above points highlight the problem with 'full service history', without knowing exactly what work has been undertaken; far too many people place total reliance on a 'stamp', or a computer print- out stating it's been serviced, without actually checking the detail.

My sunroof began failing to fully close with the one touch so I asked my indy to service it and it's fine now. That was predominantly due to the prohibitive cost of the correct lubricating paste, but this entrepreneurial ebayer has done well to buy a tub, a spoon and some smaller tubs into which to decant the paste for consumers like you and I. In truth, I'd still probably ask the indy to lube it.

My sunroof began failing to fully close with the one touch so I asked my indy to service it and it's fine now. That was predominantly due to the prohibitive cost of the correct lubricating paste, but this entrepreneurial ebayer has done well to buy a tub, a spoon and some smaller tubs into which to decant the paste for consumers like you and I. In truth, I'd still probably ask the indy to lube it.
I'm retired with plenty of time on my hands so don't mind having a go at this myself. If I was still working though I'd get my indie to do it for me too :)

I'm retired with plenty of time on my hands so don't mind having a go at this myself. If I was still working though I'd get my indie to do it for me too :)
Being an engineer at heart and a love of little satisfying jobs, I used to take great pleasure servicing my pano roof. Pick a nice, warm Spring Saturday or Sunday afternoon, and spend a very slow, leisurely hour DIYing it and making the best job of it possible.

The fact it was a coupe helped because I could just stand at the side of the car. The pano on a GLE or GLS might be a different matter!

I appreciate that other have different interests and/or might literally never get one hour spare in the year to do that sort of thing.

Being an engineer at heart and a love of little satisfying jobs, I used to take great pleasure servicing my pano roof. Pick a nice, warm Spring Saturday or Sunday afternoon, and spend a very slow, leisurely hour DIYing it and making the best job of it possible.

The fact it was a coupe helped because I could just stand at the side of the car. The pano on a GLE or GLS might be a different matter!

I appreciate that other have different interests and/or might literally never get one hour spare in the year to do that sort of thing.
If I might opine for a moment on this topic. I would love to be servicing and fettling my own vehicles and many participants in the online forums that I enjoy frequenting do. However, it's not just the time, it's the wherewithall -- the tools at the ready and the know how and the familiarity, space and usage requirements. All of these things mean for me that I stick to easy job such as a maintenance wash or a little titivation here and there. Alternatively, if I have a week or so in the summer, I'll take a day and do a job on the interior, which I can't really mess up and I'm good at doing, in the main and of course, after having prepared by purchasing all replacement parts and clips in advance!

This is extremely useful information. I was looking to protect the rubber seals that surround the pan roof but wasn’t sure what maintenance was required on the mechanism itself.

I have now ordered both solutions and shall be doing this.

I assume from @Spider10 post above that MB don’t carry out this maintance as part of the scheduled service maintenance? (No surprise there)

Indeed they do. Its part of the service schedule and the reason they ask if you have a sunroof / pano roof on the online booking form and the reason they make/offer the lube paste. Often overlooked by indie garages and certainly by other garages

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom