Performance of a performance exhaust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oscarisapc

Car
W209 CLK500
Hi
I am thinking of buying a C43 which can come with the option of a performance exhaust. An option on the saloon & estate, standard on the coupe. As far as I can determine, this just makes a more satisfying noise and crackles on the downshift, but doesn't add anything to the performance of the car -i.e. improve its power or reduce fuel consumption. Is this correct? My grandson regards a noise enhancing exhaust as a "must have" bit of kit on an AMG, and I can see his point, but is this all it does? Thanks

Your Grandson is correct. The stock AMG noise is heavenly but with the correct level of tuning/performance in the noise department (factory option would give that) it would be like a celestial choir on steroids. It really does add to the experience of the car along with the enjoyment factor.

Have fun..

As suggested, no measurable performance gains, but more interesting sound. I used to have a very quick but very quiet diesel, and it went like the wind but you’d hardly know it from the driver’s seat. Without a quick car sound, quick cars don’t actually feel that quick.

If you’re undecided then it’s probably worth going for IMHO, as retrofitting a quality valve controlled exhaust is much more expensive.

Thanks for the comments. I saw a forum contribution (maybe on the OTHER forum) from someone who had a performance sounding rear box retro fitted for about £300 but I think you could run into trouble with the insurance company when answering the question "Has the car been modified in any way?" as they don't like any sort of modification. If I decide on a C43 it will have to be one with the factory fitted performance exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom