Poor radio reception

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

exvolvoman

Car
2004 C180k Estate & Volvo V70 T5
Hoping for some advice please...
Am I right in thinking there are two aerial amplifiers fitted in the tailgate on my w203 c180 estate?
Have always has poor FM reception but put it down to where I live (rural mid Wales) it does improve when I get away from home, but never able to get AM stations anywhere.
Recently noticed a interference when rear screen heater is turned on, having read through all the posts on here I believe the amplifier(s) may need replacing, but I'm buggered if I know what to look for. Haynes manual isn't much use so asking the experts.
Thanks

The first things to check are the soundness of the spade terminals on the heated rear window elements, make certain they're giving a good firm connection, then carefully trace along each track of the heating element looking for any breaks. If there are, and it's not that uncommon, they can be repaired with silver conductive paint.

The S203 has the amp pressed onto the rear screen antenna behind the upper trim at the the top of the screen.
It's very possible that the amp has just come adrift.

With the trim pulled clear the amp can reapplied and kept in position by pushing shims between it and the pressed metal of the tailgate, I used upvc window spacers.

Another reason for poor radio reception can be use of electronic gadgets that produce RF interference. I've found plug in USB chargers can be bad for this. I had issue with an upper screen mounted dashcam, but that was on a Vito as the antenna is in the front screen on those.

Another reason for poor radio reception can be use of electronic gadgets that produce RF interference. I've found plug in USB chargers can be bad for this. I had issue with an upper screen mounted dashcam, but that was on a Vito as the antenna is in the front screen on those.
Fwiw I've found exactly the same with my Vito @m80 . When my dashcam (on the mirror mount) is on & there is poor signal all I can get is white noise. Annoyingly it seems that any local commercial stations are largely unaffected, but Radio4 & Radio2 are.
I'm currently considering changing my OEM Merc' Bluetooth double DIN thing to an aftermarket DAB radio, and would be interested to know if anyone has any pertinent observations/experience ?
Or if there is any way to suppress this FM interference, or boost/improve the weak FM signal.?

Most USB cigarette lighter chargers are terrible for adding interference. Try a station with one plugged in then take it out. Night & day difference.

Hoping for some advice please...
Am I right in thinking there are two aerial amplifiers fitted in the tailgate on my w203 c180 estate?
Have always has poor FM reception but put it down to where I live (rural mid Wales) it does improve when I get away from home, but never able to get AM stations anywhere.
Recently noticed a interference when rear screen heater is turned on, having read through all the posts on here I believe the amplifier(s) may need replacing, but I'm buggered if I know what to look for. Haynes manual isn't much use so asking the experts.
Thanks

I drive regularly to our house in Tregaron and the radio reception is pants as you get nearer to the Brecons. In my 08 E320 it was really bad but more improved in my 10 E350. The heated rear window was damaged in my older car. Kids feet on glass as 7 seater. This was probably something to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom