Power cut(s) ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
UK Power Networks, EDF and Brucemillar, Trillogy :D

A man walks in to a sex shop and asks " Have got anything about 7" long that's around 2" thick and is waxy?"

"Yes mate" replied the assistant.

"You better light it then, I've come to turn the power off."

I don't know anything about the above but I do work for UK Power Networks. If you want, PM me your details/address and I will get someone to look into what has happened where you. When a fault doesn't get fixed it is easy to assume nothing has been done and certainly what you describe doesn't read well. Happy to help a forum member out if I can. To the OP you can ask for the power quality to be monitored as others have said. There are voltage and frequency levels which the power must stay within.

PM sent:thumb:

Well the story continues.

We received a response from EON to our complaint about:

a) their excessive billing charges - they say we use more electricity than all our neighbours - We know that we do not.

b) Their lack of response to our previous complaints regarding this incident.

Now it is worth pointing out here that the Magic Electrical Fairy visited EON and us on Friday. As when we logged on to look at our EON usage, for the first time in two years it had dropped to below that of our neighbours.So a big thank you to you Electrical Fairy.

We know that EON didnt lower our consumption within 24 hours of them receiving our complaint because they told us this in their mail to us.

Now here is where EON spring into a league of their own in terms of customer service.

They are prepared at our cost £95 to install a "check meter "which will ....... Wait for it.......

Check their meter is operating correctly. Yes that's right. For only £95 EON will install a meter to check out if their kit is working. get on their site now. You too could pay £95 to check that EON are indeed providing you with what they say they are.

Not only this. They can tell us our meter (the one they want to put a check meter on) is in fact working OK. How do they know this? and why would they want to install check meter onto a working meter.

Well I think that the Electrical Fairy has waved her magic wings and taken them to the land of make believe where they can tell these things just by typing an email.

I'm no electrician but isn't it the case that a voltage drop will result in higher current draw?

Therefore, if the meter measures current, it'll see your usage higher at 213v than 240v.

Ohms Law?

Sorry Aitch55 - But it doesn't work like that.
The meter doesn't measure current.
It records kilowatt-hours (kwh)
Generally, if the supply voltage to your house is reduced, then the current consumption will also reduce.

It is Ohms Law.
V = I x R.

V is reduced.
R does not change
Therefore I will also reduce

This from an archived BIS page. I don't know how current this is :dk:- but it would appear that in order to harmonise supply standards across Europe standards have been "relaxed" somewhat .:rolleyes:

Quality and Continuity Of UK Electricity Supply
National grid pylon

The Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) has a duty to ensure that electricity supplies are sufficiently reliable and meet minimum standards of quality in terms of voltage and frequency. In Great Britain domestic supplies must be maintained within the range 216 volts to 253 volts, corresponding to a nominal value of 230 volts, minus 6% to plus 10%. This is set to change to 230 volts +/- 10% (207 to 253 volts in 2008, this having been postponed from 2003). This change is due to the harmonisation of voltages across Europe and consumers are unlikely to experience any appreciative electricity supply changes when this comes into effect. It is likely this will further improve competition within the electrical equipment retail outlets, as manufacturers are able to benefit from these common voltage ranges.

The domestic energy market results in some strange contractual relationships between end user, the energy company they contract with and the network entity.

Not at all clear to the end user who is responsible for what in terms of damage caused by low volts but entirely clear to them: not us.

EON won't want to know: their interest stops at the meter.

In the UK, the Regulatory mandated voltage for single phase electricity supply is 230 volts -6 to +10% , so Network providers have no issues if supplying anywhere between 216.2V to 253V. Go outside that range and they will provide alternate power sources, which is not for your benefit but to get them off the hook in legal and regulatory terms.

However, getting towards the extremes of the permissible range is bad news for a great many pieces of kit, but unless you can show negligence on the part of the Network provider in court or get the Energy Supply Ombudsman on you side, it is not worth the stress.

They will try to shunt you off in the direction of your insurer so will happy confirm in writing details of a power cut or low volt episodes if you think you can claim on your household insurance. It is worth getting written confirmation in any event but watch out for weasel language.

Oh and we might all want to buy some low volts protection units in the not too distant future:

U.K. Risks Power Brownouts on Reserve Capacity Auction Delays - Bloomberg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom