R230 SL500 on 19" rims anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DickiPhitt

Car
Audi S3
Today I drove an SL500 for the first time and found the suspension decidedly unlike a magic carpet, even on comfort.
The car has lovely 19" AMG alloys - 285/35 rear and 255/35 front - but from the factory came with 17".
Anyone run an R230 with ABC on 19" rims who can comment on what effect the increase in wheel dia from 17" to 19" has on the ride?

My SL63 has 19" wheels and ABC and it's not magic carpet but is still very good.

19" are the performance pack wheels, ride will always be a little harsher on bigger diameter wheels as you have less rubber to cushion any bumps.

They do look a lot better and improve handling.

I think 18" are the best option's with the ABC set on low as this gives the best road height along with stance.

Hi,
Have you had the engine mounts checked? As my C43 and latterly my CLS55 had very crashy suspension especially going over speed bumps.
Both cars the problem was solved by replacing the engine mounts especially on the CLS one had totally collapsed and the other was leaking oil, the engine though off of the cross member, when going over bumps use to tap/hit the sub-frame, I had a witness mark to this in the aly sump pan.

I went from 18" to 19" on my SL55 (with ABC). The 19" are seriously pretty, but the ride did get noticeably harder (but still comfortable)

Richard

I hadn't considered the engine mountings might be the cause. I'll take a look if I go back.

I would expect the ride to be harder due to the reduced rubber but not harder/as hard on my Audi S3 without adaptive suspension..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom