R231 - Pre-wired for options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ToonArmyMick

Car
2013 R231 SL350
Hi Everyone,

Years ago in my early 20s, I had a mk1 mondeo, I wanted the ghia x spec but couldn't quite stretch to it so had to settle for the pauper LX spec.

I owned the car for about 5 years during which I gradually added all the ghia x options, rear electric windows, leather interior, electrically adjustable front seats, trip computer, electric sunroof, cd changer etc....

When doing these mods all of the wiring was already in place in the car, meaning all I had to do was fit the new part plus a fuse or relay.

My question is, do MB pre-wire like this? I've got some plans to add some options that weren't added to mine, but would lime to know if I'm going to have to virtually dismantle the car to run new wires etc..

Thanks

I think it depends on the model and what modifications you want to do. In some cases the wiring harness is different making a modification either not possible or very costly to do. Another thing to consider is that whilst some upgrades are possible, they have to be correctly coded to the car otherwise they won't work. On a Merc things are rarely plug and play.

If you could give us some idea as to what you're looking to do and what car you have, there will be someone on here will be able to advise further.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply!

I guess it was just wishful thinking things would be plug and play.

I'm hoping to add,

* Reverse camera
* Powered bootlid
* illuminated door sills
* dash top clock
* keyless go (not sure this is feasible though)

I also want to upgrade the sound system, but I'm going custom aftermarket on that one.

Generally, no. MB will only put in the car the minimum amount of wiring required.

There are some (very few) exceptions, but in general retrofitting factory options often requires fabricating custom-made wiring looms.

Additionally, in most cases, SCN coding via STAR will be required.

Talk to www.comandonline.co.uk, they can retrofit almost any option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom