R231 - SL 350/400 - ownership experience.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Poor communications are endemic to car sales nowadays. However, playing devils advocate for a second, you found a car in Scotland with a retailer that was priced low because they wanted to get shot of it. Clearly it worked, because it sold before you could even get full details.

Truro and Brooklands are in no hurry. They know that winter is a bad time to sell convertibles and are willing to sit on the stock until the market improves. You've asked them to match prices with a car at the other end of the country where the market is not necessarily so favourable compared to theirs and therefore prices are likely to be lower. In Truro's case they're not even likely to see any repeat business from you, so even less reason to do you a favour. An example that was reasonably local might have been taken more seriously as a competitor.

If you want to buy at trade price, go to the auctions.

Last edited:
Scotland and Brooklands oersted in different economic circles...

Just to be clear apart from Scotland Truro and Brooklands never new where I was from as it was never mentioned so I could have been local so your comments do not stand sorry

There is one in Liverpool exact same spec as in Brooklands slightly higher mileage and £2000 cheaper but it is blue and can be transported to their Oxford branch also one in Croyden blue again £2500 cheaper or are these in different economic circles to Brooklands again your comment does not stand sorry

This is not a question of buying at trade but a fair deal as mentioned and not being ripped off there is a difference.

If the dealership are happy to sit on stock 2 months (Brooklands) so far and another 2/3 months before weather improves that's up to them as in my opinion business should be about moving stock for new stock and sitting and waiting for Mr or Ms desperate or who are happy to pay more for products to come along is dead money sitting there in any business is bad business sense

Anyway thank you for your comments best leave it there

I have no doubt you'll keep looking for your "fair deal" then, if none of these match up to your expectations. I'm sure the businesses in question won't be too worried about your opinion.

Last edited:
Thank you doodle and as I am in no hurry especially as I already have a daily rider the SL is a treat for myself and I agree dealerships do not care all the same.
Saying that it is only right to send a complaint to head office when your experience has been ruined when you was led to believe some deal could have been agreed
what they do not know is my brother bought an new S Class and GLS and his Brother in law also bought a new S class from Brooklands again probably do not care as long as they get their commission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom