Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R5RYP

Car
W218 CLS 350 AMG
Hi chaps,

I have a 2013 CLS 350 petrol. It is a 3.5l V6 naturally aspirated and i have had a free flow exhaust system fitted from the cat-back, mercedes claim that this variant puts out 306bhp. Now i believe the CLS400 has the same engine but tuned to 333bhp.

My question is, If i remap my 350 can i get the same sort of power as the 400? get my 0-60 down from 6.1 secs to 5.3 secs

I have looked all over the internet, found loads of stuff but am still no closer to getting an answer.

Loads say don't bother with n/a, others say definitely especially if the engine has been tuned up in a later model, i.e. the 400.

Any help is appreciated.

I doubt the difference is just a remap. More like changes in the intake manifold. BMW have similar where their cars that are badged 325 and 330 are actually both 3.0 engines, but on the 325 the intake is restricted. You can actually fit a manifold from a 330 and release the horses.

My mistake, the CLS 400 is a 3.0l bi-turbo :doh:

If you wanted to have a go at putting turbos on the V6 I'd be interested to see how you go. - I suspect it's not a very cost effective project (and I won't be adding them to my M272 because that's asking for trouble).

If you've already changed the exhaust, and it breathes reasonably well, you could always try remapping to make use of those changes.

You will get a few horses out of a NA engine, but don't hope for a miracle. There is only so much it can be done when air is being forced by the law of physics. Of course there could be some extra gain dependant on how unstressed the Mercedes engines are. VW for example make theirs very unstressed and are friendly to remaps. At least the petrol turbos take it well. Again with NA can't hope for much.

Remaps are pointless unless you have supporting modifications. Power to weight ...reduce the weight for example lighter wheels will make it a bit quicker.

Generally pointless on N?A engines unless hobbled from the factory, can be very effective on turbo cars.

Stage 1 for N/A powered cars is: re-map, full exhaust, cams, t/body, induction, injectors + fuel pump, port & polished head. This is what I did to my car. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom