Replacing NTG 2 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J4CKO

Car
CLS 500
Currently have a CLS with NTG 2.5, which is ok, but looking to get an E55 which will have, correct me if I am wrong NTG 2 ?

I see various direct fit replacements on eBay, are they worse than the 13 year old Mercedes system, are there any gotchas like losing the ability to adjust functionality on the car or is it just unplug one and plug the new one in.

Also, do E55's all have HK sound ? Impressed with the sound from my CLS which doesn't have it so hoping for an upgrade, intend to get one, get it how I want it and keep it a long time.

If you just plug and play you might lose the steering wheel controls and dashboard display. - I believe there are MOST adaptors to get that functionality working too, but that's more effort than just plugging the new unit in to the harness.

Cheers, will look into it further if I get a new car.

Currently have a CLS with NTG 2.5, which is ok, but looking to get an E55 which will have, correct me if I am wrong NTG 2 ?

I see various direct fit replacements on eBay, are they worse than the 13 year old Mercedes system, are there any gotchas like losing the ability to adjust functionality on the car or is it just unplug one and plug the new one in.

Also, do E55's all have HK sound ? Impressed with the sound from my CLS which doesn't have it so hoping for an upgrade, intend to get one, get it how I want it and keep it a long time.

An E55 (MY2003 - MY2008) will have NTG1. This is NOT plug and play with any aftermarket unit.

May keep the CLS and treat it to a new head unit, the Android ones look good, has anyone fitted one, mine has the NTG 2.5 command as mentioned and not HK sound, well there are no badges.

I know the HK needs a fibre optic link, what is the score with the non HK in terms of wiring it in, I believe that to has a separate amp, how do you connect to it ?

Is the NTG 2.5 worth anything second hand ?

May keep the CLS and treat it to a new head unit, the Android ones look good, has anyone fitted one, mine has the NTG 2.5 command as mentioned and not HK sound, well there are no badges.

I know the HK needs a fibre optic link, what is the score with the non HK in terms of wiring it in, I believe that to has a separate amp, how do you connect to it ?

Do some research on the Android units. Some like them, many hate them. Personally I dislike them due to poor quality.

You will seriously affect the value of your CLS if you put an Android unit into it. The NTg 2.5 Comand is a good unit. Yes it has a value of about £400 - £500 on ebay provided you have the anti theft pin for it.

Well, had it up at 7 grand, for a 2008 Facelift and didnt get any interest so not overly worried about that and can hang onto the old unit.

Are they all poor quality ? is it the buttons and stuff that arent great or are they unreliable, was thinking they must be fairly tried and tested now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom