Res delete question (newb)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doc matt

Car
Cls63amg. Turbo d.pipes, decat, Quaife.
Ok, so a cat delete is cutting out the cats which I believe are located at the front of the pipes like on most cars.

What's a res delete? What's a res and what does it do?

I'm thinking of both the above and maintaining my standard rear box. That and a remap. I know about the MOt issue.

Has anyone got straight through pipes to the back box and does it make a massive difference to the exhaust note?

Many thanks. doc :)

Res = resonator

Main function is to reduce exhaust sound volume and reduce droning.

Ok, so a cat delete is cutting out the cats which I believe are located at the front of the pipes like on most cars.

Usually, yes. You have your car down as a CLS63. Is it the Bi-turbo or the 6.2 engine?

What's a res delete? What's a res and what does it do?

Explained previously above.

Has anyone got straight through pipes to the back box and does it make a massive difference to the exhaust note?

I have 3" pipes from the turbos back and yes, it makes a huge difference, though is a bit too loud for everyday early morning starts unless you have sympathetic neighbours. This is on a bi-turbo.

Hi daveenty. Yes it's a bi turbo. Early mornings won't be a problem. Does the resonator have flaps inside or is it just simply a fixed bolt on device?

The only thing putting me off having the work done is the exhaust note sounding more raspy/tinny like theM3's etc. They seem to loose their stock depth/bassy noise. Kind of hard to explain really :eek:

Resonator is basically a twin pipe straight through silencer in the middle of the car.

The usual thing people do is to cut it out and replace it with either an X pipe or an H pipe. I used an H pipe. This keeps the balance going between cylinder banks, allowing for scavenging and reducing back pressure. It's not a bolt on piece but actually forms part of the system.

This was one of the first mods I did on mine and, whilst increasing the noise on higher revs, it had little effect at the lower end apart from making the sound slightly deeper, though a lot nicer IMO. I got no drone at all with mine, though I don't do a lot of constant "set throttle" type driving.

You don't mention whereabouts you're located, but there are several people dotted about the country who are very experienced in this sort of work, most of who come highly recommended by people on this and other forums.

It certainly won't sound like the raspy farty noise of a M3..... Daves sounds like booming thunder when he sets it away lol

As above, resonator box otherwise known as a 'muffler' to dampen the sound to what MB design/engineering spec requirements, quite muted in most cases, most V8 owners look to unleash the roar sound of the engine and in doing so you will gain a few HP due to removing exhaust restrictions, meaning the exit gases flow quicker...

I deleted both secondary cats/res box on my E55K, around town hardly any difference at all...big pleasurable difference when you hit the loud pedal:D

Quick explanation of 'X' pipe V's 'H' pipe section...X gives more of a fluted sound, H is more roar....i went with H when i did the E55K:thumb:

X-Pipe vs. H-Pipe, What is Better for Your Exhaust System?

Last edited:
I had a res delete and it doesn't drone on the motorway. I think messing with the back boxes gives a higher chance of drone. I have stock back box and res delete and it's perfect for me.

+1:thumb: when i did the E55K res box/ secondary cat delete no drone at all with original AMG rear boxes...however when i changed the back boxes on my old CL500 to aftermarket sport type was left with motorway drone which drove me crazy:fail a learning experience;)

I had a res delete and it doesn't drone on the motorway. I think messing with the back boxes gives a higher chance of drone. I have stock back box and res delete and it's perfect for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom