Responding to £40k threshold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thewinelake

Car
Skoda Superb MkIII (Hatchback SE Business)
Given that a list price (inc VAT!!) of £40k or above adds a bill of £1500ish to 5 year ownership costs, are any manufacturers likely to respond by offering slightly cut down (or less deeply discounted) models? Eg I covet the C350e estate, but find that extra £1500 cost somewhat unappealing and may resort to second-hand or a saloon.

Does anyone here have the ear of the "real" Mercedes Benz UK people (I.e. Not just the dealers) any rumours circulating?

And what of other brands?

If the EU don't do a deal over brexit I doubt anyone will be buy german cars over £40k or not !

Better get in there quickly, then, and hope I don't need any spare parts!

If the EU don't do a deal over brexit I doubt anyone will be buy german cars over £40k or not !

That reminds me...Irish Passport application form.

may resort to second-hand

This will only help if the car was registered before the 1st April 2017.

Any £40,000+ cars registered after then will still carry the Vehicle Envy Duty until five years is up, even if they are now selling at less than £40,000. :(

This will only help if the car was registered before the 1st April 2017.
Yes, well I would think that would be likely anyway. I'd probably be looking at a car of about 1-2 years old with a highish mileage (eg. 20k/annum pro rata) as after I've owned it for a few years, it'll be back down to par. There's a c350e estate along those lines on AutoTrader at the moment (a "Premium" variant) at £27k. cf a new one at £34k (excluding the £1.5k penalty!). A good time to be selling nearly new.

Vehicle Envy Duty
Nice...

£1500 over 5 years is £6 a week. I'd gladly pay that for a few extra toys.

It all adds up though and quickly so I'm with OP on this. If his budget is already stretched an extra £1500 may be a bit too much. Look at 2nd hand options or go C250? Why does it have to be the hybrid.

It all adds up though and quickly so I'm with OP on this. If his budget is already stretched an extra £1500 may be a bit too much. Look at 2nd hand options or go C250? Why does it have to be the hybrid.

It does all add up and it's just silly that when 25% discounts are available, it seems so unnecessary. Of course this also has knock on effects for BIK for company cars as well.

I like the idea of not polluting the place where I live. When on motorway or trunk road, it's ok, but in towns/cities it's not.

£1500 over 5 years is £6 a week. I'd gladly pay that for a few extra toys.

But isn't that the point? I'd be paying £6/week for nothing! It's roughly equivalent to the difference between premium pack and premium plus pack.

Mine was a dealer demo. 6 months old, 6,000 miles, saving of nearly £10,000 off list and no waiting time, plus it was exactly the spec I would have ordered from the factory. Took a lot of patience waiting for it to come up though!

Mine was a dealer demo. 6 months old, 6,000 miles, saving of nearly £10,000 off list and no waiting time, plus it was exactly the spec I would have ordered from the factory. Took a lot of patience waiting for it to come up though!

Wow! What's the deal with the posh clock?

Oh hang on a mo - that's really only £2k off new "street price" so maybe not so amazing (from a purely financial perspective)

Oh hang on a mo - that's really only £2k off new "street price" so maybe not so amazing (from a purely financial perspective)

It had a lot of options on (including the posh clock), and a year ago there was a 9 month waiting list, so the "CarWow" type prices were meaningless. I could have pontificated for ages, but there it was, just what I wanted and available! :cool:

Sure, yes. I suspect, though, that the ex demo deals now will be no better. Instant availability is worth a lot to people.

If you are looking out for a used one, check each dealer's own website. Many dealers are slow or forgetful(!) about putting their cars on the national stock list. If I'd been relying solely on the Approved Used website I wouldn't have found mine. Dealers will deliver for part of the deal so don't let distance put you off. My last two cars have been bought over the phone and delivered.

that's why I got my car before the April dead line £30 a year for mine.I wasn't going to pay £480 a year

that's why I got my car before the April dead line £30 a year for mine.I wasn't going to pay £480 a year

Dunno if you're thinking of selling anytime soon, but it'll improve your short term residuals no end!

Well done...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom