Safe use of jacks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just been reading through this thread and felt the need to comment on how important safety is when working on cars. I myself am no mechanic so i think its important for people especially on forums not to under take any potentially dangerous work even if it may seem simple without the safe knowledge to do so.

I was actually thinking of buying a jack (my first one) to take my wheels of and clean then but I do not even want to take the risk after reading some of these messages. Its more effort than its worth and should be left to people who know what they are doing to prevent any injury or damage.

I was actually thinking of buying a jack (my first one) to take my wheels of and clean then but I do not even want to take the risk after reading some of these messages. Its more effort than its worth and should be left to people who know what they are doing to prevent any injury or damage.
Really? Its just jacking up a car. Follow a few simple safety rules and it's child's play.

Reactions: 219
Last edited:
Sorry if this seems a silly question but I was thinking of getting a trolley jack and stands to allow me to change my wheels for another set with winter tyres.

But, can anyone advise me, I will have to do it on a road as my drive is on a slope, if I use the trolley jack on the jacking point where do I put the stand?

I was planning on jacking each wheel separately (and turning the car round in between so I am not working in the road).

Cant say on your vehicle but on the CLK there is a jacking point under the engine, complete with rubber pad, which allows you to jack up the front and use the jacking points for the axel stands. At the rear the recommended jacking point for the whole back end is under the rear diff.

I didn't even get a jack with my new SLK, so would have to use my trolley jack (and axle stands) if I ever needed to jack it up

Last edited:
Now that's a dream home mechanic lifting solution.

It would have been, if the roof of my garage was high enough to allow the lift to fully extend, but gives enough clearance to drop an exhaust or gearbox out and take all four wheels off (as is the case with the clk at the mo)

Not read the full thread but thought id post some points.

I always chock the wheels that remain on the ground, just to be on the safe side.

A good trick that i use if im just going under to have a look or do something simple (drop the oil, check the exhaust) is to drive the front, rear or side I want in the air onto a convenient kerb.

If your jacking up the whole front orrear try and jack the car up at a central point (centre line of the car) leaving the jacking points for your axle stands.

So sad. I'm a member on typeaccord and just posted link up on there. Poor chap

I always use Race Ramps when working under the car

Last edited:
I'm on a train out of Brussels to the airport and just seen a car, bonnet open, about 2m in the air on a forklift truck, and not a massive I've either!

It went by too quick to get my camera out, but it made me think of this thread :) The car was Fiesta sized. Am amazed the forklift is stable with the car on it. Got to be dangerous, nonetheless, eh?

I would like to add, if your car is on any sort of stand and you are wrestling a bolt / nut off it . . . . you should only apply pressure on it in a downward direction / always increase weight on the stand rather than reduce it.

About 20-yrs ago, a whole load of us went out for a bowling night. At the end of the evening as we all piled into the car park, a friend got into his car (a Nissan Bluebird), started the engine and went to pull away. Nothing happened excpet the increase in engine revs. All four wheels were gone and the car was on bricks.

Definitely agree with all of the safety points made so far. Take care peeps, cars are heavy!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom