sbc unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
every time I turn the ignition on the pump sounds really noisey don't know if that's normal sometimes it comes on when I brake hard and randomly while i'm driving any ideas?

It's a countdown vibration warning to a £1000 bill.

There is an official modification for the SBC to reduce transmitted noise. Sounds as though yours hasn't had it done. Mine is barely audible

My S210 has no SBC, probably thankfully. Why is it typically so troublesome as there seems to be a lot of fault related issues posted? Are they another half-baked MB system from the 2000s that bleed people of serious wads of cash with little tangible benefit....?

There are very few actual faults with this system. What a lot of people are complaining about is the fact the SBC unit has a finite service life and is relatively expensive to replace, with no real alternative other than to go to MB for the part.

My S210 has no SBC, probably thankfully.

I was rather glad to have SBC on more than one occasion.

The problem isn't the system. It caused MB some grief in the early W211s but basically by the time they decided to remove it things seemed fine - apart from the finite life aspect which was masked for several years by the free replacement / goodwill policy.

If it cost sensible money to replace the units then SBC wouldn't be anything like the issue that it has become.

How finite is the life and I presume costs are never less than 4 figures, i.e. in the thousands?

How finite is the life and I presume costs are never less than 4 figures, i.e. in the thousands?

Dependant on usage, the number of brake applications is counted and I believe something like 300k is the limit. MB did extend the service count once, fairly shortly after bringing it into service.

Replacement costs are around the £1500 - £1800 mark....

Let's keep it all in perspective. There were, still are, thousands of E class taxis running around with this system. No reports on the 'net regarding failures, accidents or fatalities...

Damaging to one's wallet perhaps, but otherwise a very competent system IMHO

Last edited:
think of SBC as a consummable that needs replacing sometimes, like discs and pads :)

There have been failures of SBC systems. Braking is then about 10% normal power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom