Scam? I Smell A Rat...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
I have a few bicycle parts on Gumtree, selling as a job lot. A purported buyer says he wants to buy them, and will arrange for DPD to collect, but payment? "You will receive money on a card".

I ask how that will work; the reply is: "I do a payment to delivery company, after that you fill in simple confirmation form on their page, after that courier contact you, discuss details of delivery and you will be paid after call."

I'm not sure whether I smell fish or a rat, but something is off... What could possibly go wrong? I presume the payment, if made, would subsequently be sucked back whence it came. How long can I keep him on the hook without giving my card details, though?

Tell him you have a friend who will be passing through his town & can deliver them. He can collect the money at the same time.:banana:

I have a few bicycle parts on Gumtree, selling as a job lot. A purported buyer says he wants to buy them, and will arrange for DPD to collect, but payment? "You will receive money on a card".

I ask how that will work; the reply is: "I do a payment to delivery company, after that you fill in simple confirmation form on their page, after that courier contact you, discuss details of delivery and you will be paid after call."

I'm not sure whether I smell fish or a rat, but something is off... What could possibly go wrong? I presume the payment, if made, would subsequently be sucked back whence it came. How long can I keep him on the hook without giving my card details, though?
Wise up slim, cash or bank transfer ONLY.

Tell him you have a friend who will be passing through his town & can deliver them. He can collect the money at the same time.:banana:
I like that a lot. I'll use it, but not yet. While he thinks he's scamming me, he's not scamming anybody else...

He now says the payment will be made into my bank account. If it's made, how can I prevent it being taken out again? Or is the scam just to obtain my bank details?

He now says the payment will be made into my bank account. If it's made, how can I prevent it being taken out again? Or is the scam just to obtain my bank details?
All seems too complicated. Gut feel is often right. It could be your bank details or something else, either way I wouldn’t be giving them any details, I’d pull out of the deal if necessary.

Wise up slim, cash or bank transfer ONLY.
Er... I really don't think he's a genuine buyer.

All seems too complicated. Gut feel is often right. It could be your bank details or something else, either way I wouldn’t be giving them any details, I’d pull out of the deal if necessary.
Er... I really don't think he's a genuine buyer; I don't suppose he even has a bicycle.

I won't be giving out any details, but how long can I keep it going before he smells a rat...

419eater.com is a good read... full of good ideas.

As you say, while you are messing with him/her, they are not being successful with someone else… one of my pastimes too, stringing them along.

I know in some cases, it’s possibly their job but..

I do love winding up these folks who are trying to scam you. The email and text ones are great for a few hours of fun.

My friend who is an African Prince, was just by chance looking for some bike parts & says he will buy yours. However his bank will not let him send any less than £1 million pounds at a time to pay for goods (its a Prince thing). So can you send him the change. He knows there are unscrupulous people out there, but with him being a Prince he is beyond reproach. Hear from you soon:rolleyes::)

If a bank transfer what's unusual?

He's gone quiet. I've been rumbled...

There are quite a few people had the exact same thing on some of the FB cycling groups. Not sure how it works as no one has yet go gone through with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom