Screen saver wanted!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
HELP! SOS! Im looking for an OLD screen saver, it was called "Mystery" in windows 95, 98, and ME. I have copied the mystery.scr file into my c:\windows and my mystery.dll file into c:\windows\system; but all I get is a blank screen when I run it, any ideas?
Spinal
P.S. Im trying to run it under windows 2000

Mystery ? Are you sure it's not Mystify ?

Or was it Mystery Forest ? Link

Last edited:
I guess you have your answers here :D :devil:

LOL pammy, yes I did post there before. I just didnt get a satisfactory answer ;)

And yes, I am sure its not mystify, nor mystery forest. Mystery is a screen saver depicting a victorian house with a tree in front. In the tree there is an owl whos eyes blink and there is a full moon that cycles in the sky. The houses windows light up now and then. There is audio, which incuded lightning, the owl and a wolf. (I have it running on my windows ME computer behind me, I just want to port it to 2000. And the memory speed thing is bs... I have the same memory in my XP, 2000 and ME computers)
Spinal

Found it on my home PC, total of 37 files......

37 files??? Are you sure? I have a feeling you are getting confused between Mystery the screensaver and mystery the theme. A screensaver is just an executable, with everything included (except, at times, the dll). The theme also has mouse icons, a background some sounds and some other funky stuff.. Could you please post the 37 file names; just to make sure tho? Thanks!!!
Spinal

Actually I think your right, most look like they are THEME related..

C:\Windows\SYSTEM Mystery.scr 38Kb
C:\Windows\SYSTEM Mystery.dll 480Kb
All others are in C:\Program Files\Plus!\Themes

DAM IT! I just clicked on one of them and wished I hadn't, everything is creeking now.....

Edit:- Back to default settings, Thankfully.

Last edited:
LMAO! Windows creaking just cracks me up for some odd reason... As for the scr and dll files, yes I tried copying the m over from a floppy. If you copy them to another windows 9x (i.e. 95/98/me) computer they work perfectly, even off teh floppy. If you copy to a NT based computer (ntx, 2k, xp) they don't. So my final guess is that they use a core file in the windows 9x system; OR that they just wont run on an NTFS system. This said, as soon as I get some time, Ill be decompiling and trying to port iot to NT... that was my favorite screen saver! That said I have found a pretty good replacement in the meantime (fine, it probably looks better, but I liked the simple old one more!) from screensavers.com called Halloween Haunted House.
Spinal

This is from the Theme "Mystery" on the windows expansion disk, it gives a desktop like Sherlock Holmes lounge with a magnitying glass as a cursor. This was for windows 98.

Yes, Pietre. your point? Not to be rude, but I don't really understand what you are trying to say. Mystery the screensaver was first integrated into windows 95 plus!; then into windows 98 plus! and finally into windows ME standard. So were the themes, but the two are entirely detachable, allowing one to put a mystery screensaver with a totally different theme...
Spinal

do you have the option to run it in compatibility mode?

it sounds to me like an operating system based problem more than anything else

Andy

you need a copy of win xp xtra. this has all the old themes and a few new ones

Sorry, I thought it was only avail with the whole theme and not seperately. Was just trying to confirm it was called Mystery.

Possible clue to solution???

I tried to run the compatability Wizard on the Mystery.scr and when I try to configure it, I get this in the screensaver's box:

"The system agent must be active in order for you to display the screensaver immediately by moving the mouse pointer to a corner of the screen"

Does anybody have any idea what it's referring to? By the way, it doesn't let me select a corner.

Perhaps this "agent" can be transferred from 98/ME and solve this problem

Solved it!

Please disregard my previous posting. The "agent" has nothing to do with it.

After researching different message boards, I pieced together what files were needed to make the old Microsoft Plus! screensavers run on Windows XP:

Go to any machine running Windows 98 or ME and search for these two files;

WL32DLL.dll
WILDLB32.dll

also find all the .dll files that bear the same name as the screensavers (ex: mystery.dll, space.dll etc.) and copy those too.

Then take them all to your XP machine and dump all files into your System32 folder along with all the .scr files.

They will all work...

I put the WILDLB32.dll in my XP system folder but that may not have been needed - System32 should be fine.

Spread the word - the mystery is solved..... :bannana:

WOOW! Now that is good news! I just got back from the holiday; my motherboard was fried; and after a clean format, how nice is it to get a friendly screen saver! Schweet!
Thanks! Have a nana! :bannana:

Kenobi575 said:
...After researching different message boards, I pieced together what files were needed to make the old Microsoft Plus! screensavers run on Windows XP...
Excellent!!! I have my old '98 screensavers back. Thanks for solving the mystery. :rock: :cool:

S.

hey people, i know this thread is old, but i want the mystery theme on my new comp, i had the win 98 on my old one, that i sold, and now i only have xp, so can anyone send me complete theme, or send me a link to the theme, or just picture of mystery theme, i would really appreciate that :)

Does anyone know where I can find the Mystery screensaver - the one with the Sherlock Holmes looking character? I had it on one of my old computers, but sold it a long time ago. I just got a new computer with XP on it, and the screensavers are all boring.

I'd also like to know where I can find the screensaver that had a spooky house, owl, howling noise, and cat walking across the screen. Can someone help me with this one, as well?

I'd really love to get both of these back/again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom