Service indicator and how does it work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So Can I trust the CPU to tell me when to change oil or not or should I err on the side of caution and change annually for low mileage?

In my view, you can follow the CPU guidance and go longer than a year on low mileage with no issues whatsoever.

Much simpler way, MoT due, time for a service first. In theory, it should then always pass the MoT.

The whole point of MB oil specs like 229.5 is that they are formulated for extended oil change intervals so for the poster that said he did regular but infrequent long runs and still a low annual mileage then the oil would be good for up to two years.

For low annual mileage in general there are two provisos:

Low mileage with short trips that don't get the oil warm is severe duty and the oil should be change annually regardless or you will end up with sludge in the engine.

If you happen have an engine where MB forgot how to make them properly e.g. cam chain and sprocket problems then for the cost of an oil change I'd do it annually without fail.

I don't believe my 58 c220 does any form of oil condition check as I did a midterm oil change and it made no difference to the service due date.

At that date it's likely to be on fixed interval.

On older cars, if you wait until it asks for an oil top-up and then add a certain amount, at least a litre I think, then the distance to service would jump up a couple of K miles.

But whether it's looking at the oil condition, or the ECU is just making an assumption, who knows?

Last edited:
This is correct. When the mileage between services is very low, the car switches from mileage-based service interval to time-based service interval.
I thought this may be the case, but I do around 22-5k per year.
Saying that, it has done 5500 since the last service in July 2016, of which I have done 5k since sept 23rd.

The service indicator has now changed to "service in 10800 miles"

Thanks

I change my engine oil at 5,000 miles regardless of what the computer says, oil is cheap engines are expensive!
Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom