Shmee and how much he's spent/lost on his cars over the years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It'll be a long time before I can look a Turkish Transit straight in the face.

As an aside, did you know that you can pay up to £60k (base price) for one? That's for a Tourneo Custom (Transit with rear seats), standard 2.0 litre diesel. The hybrid and electric versions will obviously be a fair bit more but the prices for those haven't been announced yet ...

As an aside, did you know that you can pay up to £60k (base price) for one? That's for a Tourneo Custom (Transit with rear seats), standard 2.0 litre diesel. The hybrid and electric versions will obviously be a fair bit more but the prices for those haven't been announced yet ...
Smelling salts, Nurse !

Quick !

£60k for a Traaaannnzzzit !!

The Chinese are going to have a field day !

I'll happily gently disagree.

I'm not convinced that poor health is luck. An element of luck, for sure but, to quote the oncologist: 50% of cancer cases are lifestyle.

Falling down the stairs is "luck." But not so much if its the diabetes medication that messed around with that 70 year old's balance.
Heart trouble is "luck" but being 20kgs overweight messed up another 70 year old's QRISK percentage.

Were Steve Jobs and Bill Gates "lucky?" Right place, right time isn't the half of it. They both had severe personality disorders that drove them.

But maybe it is "bad luck" if you have parents who coach you into not believing in yourself, working hard, and persisting when things have gone wrong? Maybe it is "bad luck" if your mother feeds you stupid stuff, and doesn't encourage you to excel in your sport, hobby, or work?
Maybe you ARE on to something there....
I'll tell SWMBO
Her oncologist told her it was pure bad luck to be diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer which had spread to he liver at age 58 with a life expectancy of less than 1 year :dk:

I'll tell SWMBO
Her oncologist told her it was pure bad luck to be diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer which had spread to he liver at age 58 with a life expectancy of less than 1 year :dk:
Sorry to hear your news. Thinking of you both.

I'll tell SWMBO
Sorry to hear your news. I have many friends who have been in the same position with pancreatic, and all the other cancers.

Point remains, the explosion in cancer cases is driven by lifestyle. That 50% number is from oncologists, not from the Daily Mail

We know that half of us will be diagnosed with cancer during our lives.

We know people who will die from Environmentally caused cancer, like the people we know who died from Asbestos, or from passive smoking.

But more importantly, we all know people who will get cancer, and even die from cancer, because of stupid life choices. We should or could do something about that. Smokers, drinkers,, the obese, diabetics, excessive meat eaters, sun tan lovers, and so on.

Here’s the NHS take on what we can do to reduce that risk for those cancers: Cancer

Last edited:
I'll tell SWMBO
As I said in that brief note earlier, I lost a 70 year old close relative due to luck. He fell down stairs and spent six months in a coma before we turned him off. It was his NHS medication that messed around with his balance. Without those side effects, he wouldn’t have died “ten years before the average.”

I lost a 70 year old sibling due to "luck" but being 20kgs overweight messed up with her QRISK percentage - that estimate of the risk of likely cardiovascular problems . These are risk factors that we can do something about.

Want to calculate your own “luck?” Use this:
Calculate your heart age - NHS

And then there’s the niece who has had multiple strokes, heart and mobility issues. I can tell you more, if you’re interested.

Not “all,” just half of all cancers are lifestyle related. According to the Oncologists.

Mmmm, it appears I have a heart age 17 years more than my actual age!

Mmmm, it appears I have a heart age 17 years more than my actual age!
Congratulations !!

Has your GP surgery told you your QRISK3 number? They calculate it for everyone over 45 but for some reason often don’t actually tell the patient.

Here’s the calculator:
QRISK3

John Humphrys tells everyone that he doesn’t want to live forever, he just wants to live to 121.

“Other choices are available.”

As I said in that brief note earlier, I lost a 70 year old close relative due to luck. He fell down stairs and spent six months in a coma before we turned him off. It was his NHS medication that messed around with his balance. Without those side effects, he wouldn’t have died “ten years before the average.”

I lost a 70 year old sibling due to "luck" but being 20kgs overweight messed up with her QRISK percentage - that estimate of the risk of likely cardiovascular problems . These are risk factors that we can do something about.

Want to calculate your own “luck?” Use this:
Calculate your heart age - NHS

And then there’s the niece who has had multiple strokes, heart and mobility issues. I can tell you more, if you’re interested.

Not “all,” just half of all cancers are lifestyle related. According to the Oncologists.
If we minimise every risk that the NHS or other experts warn about, then life would be quite dreary for many. From riding a motorbike to eating too much ice cream; lots of people gain pleasure from these things that makes life more bearable. I think raising lifestyle choice to forewarn people so that they can judge the risks it's fine. But I don't think raising lifestyle choice after the fact when cancer is involved is cricket because at the end of the day, though less likely in probability, that cancer still may have occurred even without the smoking, or the ice cream, or the red meat.

Back on topic, has anybody watched the recent video Mat Armstrong did on the rs6? It made me cringe cutting into the rear quarters to put that kit on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom