Small bit of dash removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inkyskin

Hi all - the bulbs behind the switches to turn my headlights on (and also the dipping dial thingy) have all gone out, and need replacing... any idea how I get to them? :confused:

They are backlit? You know I have never noticed, I just "use the force" to reach out and twiddle without ever looking at the switch. Where's Mr Haynes.

Haynes manual says:

Use pliers and cloth to pull knob off front
Undo nut below the knob
Carefully unclip (whole) switch front panel and remove
Remove under dash panel
Unclip beam adjuster from panel
Twist switch to release lugs and remove switch from panel

"Refitting is the reverse of removal"

HTH

Last edited:
Are you sure they were ever worked?
neither illuminate on both my cars.
The only illumination on the lights on/off switch is the amber/orange light to indicate the rear fogs are on.

Only bulb mentioned in haynes is the fog light one.

Are you sure they were ever worked?
neither illuminate on both my cars.
The only illumination on the lights on/off switch is the amber/orange light to indicate the rear fogs are on.
same as mine,never been illuminated since ive had it(3 months) just took it that it didnt apart from the orange fog lights

Thanks guys - I never noticed them working, just assumed the bulbs had gone before I had the car... Seems odd that they wouldn't be backlit though - especially as you'd most likely use the switch in the dark...

I'll take it apart as per Stevesey's guide and let you know tomorrow!

Thanks guys - I never noticed them working, just assumed the bulbs had gone before I had the car... Seems odd that they wouldn't be backlit though - especially as you'd most likely use the switch in the dark...

Doesnt have a light apart from the when the rear fogs are on (2x pulls)

Why would you need a light on to see the switch? that would mean that the light would have to be on before you switch the headlights on (always).

If you have managed to get into your car in pitch black, id imagin that you know can manage to find the switch :D

On the subject of bulbs, have you noticed when you turn the child window lock on, the rear window button lights go off [GERMAN VOICE]zee have thought of everything[/GERMAN VOICE]

Last edited:
Doesnt have a light apart from the when the rear fogs are on (2x pulls)

Why would you need a light on to see the switch? that would mean that the light would have to be on before you switch the headlights on (always).

If you have managed to get into your car in pitch black, id imagin that you know can manage to find the switch :D

On the subject of bulbs, have you noticed when you turn the child window lock on, the rear window button lights go off [GERMAN VOICE]zee have thought of everything[/GERMAN VOICE]

I have never noticed that, well spotted. I,ll have to look on my 43 just to check though.:)

Well, seems definitive from you lot, so wont be pulling it apart ;)

I don't have electric rear windows, so no child lock :(

Whoever was the first own of my car really was a tight git.

There is no illumination on the 202 dial but the 204 dial is illuminated and stand-alone as far as I can tell. When it's dark one or two of the dial positions light up so you can find them more easily.

The dial is about £80 and would require some modification in order to be used in the 202, plus you'd need major surgery on the panel where the dial goes as the 204 dial is bigger than the 202 dial.

Doesn't mean I've ruled it out though :)

You would be better off trying to fit a W210 dial, they are more comfy to hold (erm, yeah I did just say that)

I really can,t remember where I read it but was told that "some" 202's" the switch was illuminated as they had no 202 spec switches and used E class switches as a temporary stop gap. Whether the production line were using up w124 switches, or they used w210 ones I don,t know.
This maybe load of rubbish but one of the guys posting said his was illuminated, but never posted a pic too prove it.

A load of rubbish IMO :D W210 have a completely different surround, its not plug & play.

That said, we have seen weirder in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom