Speeding Awareness Course........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mat8n

Banned
Car
Sl63,honda crf450x, BMW x3, vespa lx50v, Honda goldwing in bits!
Just done a speeding awareness course........

YOU DO NOT NEED TO DISCLOSE THAT YOU HAVE DONE THE COURSE TO YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY, OR ANY INSURANCE COMPANY.

If they ask you the Association of Insurance Brokers want you inform them if one the companies asks you as they shouldn't be asking!

This is from the people who do the course.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO DISCLOSE THAT YOU HAVE DONE THE COURSE TO YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY, OR ANY INSURANCE COMPANY.

If they ask you the Association of Insurance Brokers want you inform them if one the companies asks you as they shouldn't be asking!

This is my understanding and on my ins co online proforma (Aviva) there's no question asked about a Speed Awareness Course.

Not sure what you're saying here ^^^ :dk:.

If you phone for a quote or a renewal and they ask if you've done a speeding awareness course......they shouldn't be.... so the association of insurance brokers(the people than rule the insurance companies) want you to let them know......so they can stop them asking.

Pretty sure if an insurer asks for any information you must provide it to the best of your knowledge. It's their policy, their T&Cs.

Is it worth risking a reduced pay-out should the worst happen?

It's a good little earner.

Pretty sure if an insurer asks for any information you must provide it to the best of your knowledge. It's their policy, their T&Cs.

I'm pretty sure i've just done the course and heard it directly from the people who matter....not tittle tattle on the internet.

I'm not saying they don't ask and that you shouldn't disclose to them...but they shouldn't be asking and loading your policy because of the course.

The police are aware you've done the course and that's all that matters.

If you disclose and your renewal/quote is the lowest price(if that's what you're after) then i don't see a problem, but what the people who run the courses don't want is for your insurance to be loaded because of the course.....the idea is to avoid all that.

I'm pretty sure i've just done the course and heard it directly from the people who matter....not tittle tattle on the internet.

I'm not saying they don't ask and that you shouldn't disclose to them...but they shouldn't be asking and loading your policy because of the course.

The police are aware you've done the course and that's all that matters.

If you disclose and your renewal/quote is the lowest price(if that's what you're after) then i don't see a problem, but what the people who run the courses don't want is for your insurance to be loaded because of the course.....the idea is to avoid all that.

No not really, recent court case laid foundations for you to lie to insurers - providing the lies are collateral, the insurers can't void the policy upon a claim.

Quite.

Money from FPN fines goes straight to HMG. Money from SAC's goes to the course provider, and the local (s)Camera Partnership (Local Authority + Police). The last thing they want is people saying "If my Insurer is going to load my premium for attending an SAC, I'll save a day of my life and take the 3 points instead" because their income stream dries up.

Given that the first 3 points normally doesn't make any difference to premiums, should a course and zero points make a difference?

If they (insurance co.) has rightly or wrongly asked you and you give a false reply, they will definitely use this as an excuse not to pay out in the event of a claim

No not really, recent court case laid foundations for you to lie to insurers - providing the lies are collateral, the insurers can't void the policy upon a claim.

To lie - a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive. Not a good foundation on which to do business?

Maybe not void, no but they can reduce the pay-out to just 3rd party claims.

It's just not worth the worry IMHO

Last edited:
Others may ask but I know Admiral insurance ask this question, or certainly did a little while ago, I can't say if they load your insurance because of it as I never use them.

I had to attend one of these courses as part of a work study about 3 years ago. All it convinced me of was that I wouldn't waste 4 1/2 hours of my life doing it unless I was sitting on 9 points desperate to keep my licence, I'd just suck up the 3 points. :)

If you phone for a quote or a renewal and they ask if you've done a speeding awareness course......they shouldn't be.... so the association of insurance brokers(the people than rule the insurance companies) want you to let them know......so they can stop them asking.

Interesting. Did the course two years ago and haven't been asked. Always shop around at renewal time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Others may ask but I know Admiral insurance ask this question, or certainly did a little while ago, I can't say if they load your insurance because of it as I never use them.

They do ask and they load insurance. In my case it was £100 per year or 15-20% depending on the year. I disclosed it to them after a couple of years but I paid at least 3 years for that which was around £300. When I was adding new car to multicar policy, I asked them to remove SAC from my history (more than 5 years from declared date) and price went down £200 comparing to earlier quote with SAC on my file.

I know some people didn't declare it to Admiral. I think it's a SCAM and extra money for them.

Last edited:
They do ask and they load insurance. In my case it was £100 per year or 15-20% depending on the year. I disclosed it to them after a couple of years but I paid at least 3 years for that which was around £300. When I was adding new car to multicar policy, I asked them to remove SAC from my history (more than 5 years from declared date) and price went down £200 comparing to earlier quote with SAC on my file.

I know some people didn't declare it to Admiral. I think it's a SCAM and extra money for them.

This is why SAC people are asking people to report the companies that ask(they did say it was Admiral).

There should be no loading to your insurance because of the course. The loading is just a way for Admiral (and others) to extort more money unjustifiably.

The loading is just a way for Admiral (and others) to extort more money unjustifiably.

Why is it unjustifiable? Whether you take the points or a SAC you've still been caught speeding, and they would presumably argue that this is a factor when calculating your risk (just as age, occupation, etc. are).

It would be unjustified if there were statistics to prove that people who have done a SAC and keep a clean licence are less likely to speed again in future than those who take the points, but I doubt this is this case.

It would be unjustified if there were statistics to prove that people who have done a SAC and keep a clean licence are less likely to speed again in future than those who take the points, but I doubt this is this case.

There's maybe a more general qusetion - does say a single SP30 in 5 years justify loading insurance.

My view is it's a game. SWMBO picked up SP30 and the subsequent renewal went way up when she declared it.

But a new quote from the same insurer was less that the previous year's cost.

So my cynical view is that the insurers figure that a lone SP30 is simply as an opportunity. And by extension - a SAC is a means by which that opportunity is denied to them - hence the adapation to ask about SACs.

:mad:

I still don't understand the "unfairness" of it? The insurer dictates the conditions of it's policy cover. You either accept it or go elsewhere. If they all hike the premium, so be it.. You got caught speeding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom