Superchip or not to superchip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrissyBoy

I've been reading superchip's claims on how they can improve performance on my E270CDI - apparently BHP increases to 196, with torque improvements in the order of +> 100nm!

Has anyone got any experience of these products? Also, how do you think it might affect a) the MB warranty and b) my insurance?

Plenty of discussion about superchips on here - try a search first - also, would guess that this is Engine / Electronics Forum material.

S.

I went for theTUNIT VCR box on my 270cdi ML. works briliantly. performs as well as a petrol engine. lots more pulling power and faster throttle response.

cars been serviced and had warranty work on the cat and the unit was completely transparent to MB's systems.

I told my insurance co & they upped the premium a bit . best to be safe I say.

I used the tuning box from a Company in Belgium that I got "cheapish" on ebay, it makes a noticeable difference to what is otherwise a very sluggish drive on my 03ML270. Fitting took 5 minutes and I can always remove it when the car goes in for a service, it still doesnt make a crappy car any good just a little faster

You have two options, the first is the true Superchips type one that remaps or replaces your ECU chip the second is the plug-in or piggy-back type tuning box, both do a similar job, the chip people will claim theirs is better because they totally remap the engine management software. The piggy-back boxes simply amplify the signals from sensors to make the ECU think there is more air to burn so squirts in more fuel.

Personally I would recommend the piggy-back type as it can be easily removed for servicing, MOT, warranty or selling the vehicle. I have a TD performance box, it has been removed for the last 6 weeks as my MPG is suffering on local short journeys. But the performance it gives is outstanding, in fact it is too much that is why I removed it. Anything more than half throttle simply overfuels the car and results in lots of black smoke!

I have had some dealing with Tunit and they seem very good, Superchip are good but very expensive compared to the others. I may change to a Tunit in the near future but to be honest I am perfectly happy with the car in standard form so not much point really.

Surely the E270CDi is no slouch as it is, is it?

Thanks for your opinions.

Jimmy - no, the E270CDI isn't a slouch, but having come from a BMW 330Ci I sometimes miss the brutal mid-range acceleration. Having said that, it's pretty damned quick off the line - kept up with a mate's Renault Clio 172 sport from the traffic lights the other day.

Steve, the Tunit looks a good option - did you fit it yourself, and if so, was it an easy job? How does your MPG fare on short journeys?

Last edited:
I will second the tunit, execllent bunch down there.
I had one on my 320d touring and it took it from 150bhp to 196bhp, it is so much more responsive.
When I had a problem they said send it in and they would look at it for me, I had caught the cable and caused a short but they still replaced it, in fact I was selling the car so they said I could have one for the ML270cdi instead, that is what I call keeping a customer!!!

As it turns out my ML had already been superchipped so I didnt need it and so got a tunit for my mates 330d, he loves it.

Can't comment on the difference the superchips remap makes as I have only taken one out for a test before owning this, and as I said it was already done, but I find it far from sluggish.
It would be interesting to try a non chipped one for a day and see what difference there is.

I have been looking at doing this to mine Chrissyboy.

Let me know how you get on.

Marc

How about the following analogy.....

Ebay box - Poundstretcher
Superchips - Asda
Tunit - Sainsburys
Alpin - M&S
Brabus - Harrods

;)

R

P.S. I'm thinking of selling my Alpin Box (off an MY2000 - W202 220 CDi) Retails around £575 - let me know if you're interested....

Does anyone know of anyone who does a chip, either re-map or piggy-back, for my W211 E320 CDI. I looked earlier on in the year and other than Brabus no one seems to offer it for this engine.

marcos said:
Does anyone know of anyone who does a chip, either re-map or piggy-back, for my W211 E320 CDI. I looked earlier on in the year and other than Brabus no one seems to offer it for this engine.

I also noticed Brabus UK don't list the W211 320CDi on their website under tuning options, but the worldwide Brabus site does.

marcos said:

Have a look at Superchips. My 2.5TD is chipped, and I love it.....And it has passed the MOT with it.

Linky

Mine was done at http://www.mercedesperformance.co.uk

C240Sport97 said:
It's £240 for an extra 12bhp for a C240.

Not sure if that's worthwhile :confused: plus what about damage to the engine?
upsolute claim 39bhp more for the c230k, but if you read the forum they have on their website, GrahamC230k already grilled them about it and they say they change the pulley on the kompressor as well, which is cheating in my book.

Had mine DMS'd and love it

Hello All

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd let you know what my experience has been with chipping on my W210 E320 CDI.

I had a box fitted first, very quick and easy, but it wasn't able to give me a power increase greater than (confirmed with their own rolling road):

Power(BHP) Torque (NM)
Before 192 484
After 210 528

Granted, rolling roads and automatics aren't exactly the most reliable, but it gives an idea.

A few weeks ago I had the DMS program applied (via mercedes performance) and will have the car run on the original dyno again next week. The performance is amazing, you can literally fly. I've tried a mickey mouse 0-60 on a quiet dual carriageway (naturally :devil: ) with a low fuel tank and have hit 5.9 ish seconds. I'm still averaging 38mpg on a tank of fuel too (mostly motorway driving though).

I called DMS and they say their figures are around 241 bhp and 568nm.

I also asked about a friends S320CDI with the 204bhp engine and they quote power up to 255 and torque from 500nm to 602nm :eek:

I bet in an E it'll melt the tarmac, although the ~£930 will probably make quite a hole in the pocket too.

Good luck in your endevours.

Jet

p.s larger intercooler on its way too :D

After that glowing endorsement of DMS products, for anyone with a 220 CDi my DMS box is for sale in the classifieds.....

Any offer considered :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom