Swapping parts. W124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

minio

Car
S124 200E
Hi folks,

As some of you may remember, I have recently acquired a W124 250d LHD.

As it has a few issues I was going to replace some parts.

Instead of getting loads of separate parts I have bought (on ebay) a W124 230E RHD that I will use as a donor and later re-sale or scrap.

What issues can I expect with all the swaps? Is there any difference between diesel and petrol powered W124's?

Parts that I am wanting to swap:
Interior, complete doors (from 2 electric windows to 4), sun roof, steering wheel and all locks including ignition barrel?

Thanks
Greg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 62
  • braker.JPG
    braker.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 62
  • braker1.JPG
    braker1.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 61
Everything will fit fine

As Dash said above, it will all swap over no problem.

Are you going to swap the complete doors, or just the window mechanism's? I ask because I am looking for a drivers front door in that champagne colour.

Well, to a point. Just did exactly this last summer; bought the LHD S124 E250D on ebay whilst abroad. Collected later and stored for a few months. Bought a scrapper RHD E320D estate in Manchester for its cream leather interior and did the swap, together with extensive refettling. The LHD is now French registered and in daily use to great effect. The only things I would point out as awkward are those which are handed. This includes IIRC the glove box interior moulding, the ignition barrel on the column, the cruise and indicator stalk, the wing mirrors and the carpets and mats. Mine already had LHD head lights in and had passed its MOT like that!!! It subsequently passed one for me as well!!!
It occurs to me you have a petrol and a diesel, in which case the ignition barrel from the petrol will not have the vacuum pipe stubs to allow you to cut the engine. That might be trickyhttp://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Will post again if anything further occurs to me.

Bonne chance

Is it possible to swap only the ignition barrel internals in order to use the same key for everything? Is there any sir of immobiliser?

As for the door. There is a dent in the drivers side door (actually it is a passenger side as it's a LHD) and that is why I want to swap it.

Greg

Barrel only should be possible. I bought a new barrel to preserve the one key situation, but I've just checked on the EPC under my LHD chassis number and my RHD E280T chassis number, and the barrel codes are the same, A1264600204, so I would guess that applies across the range.
As for the door, I can't imagine why that wouldn't go, but you'll have to swap mirrors, of course.
Although the carpets which cover the flanks of the transmission tunnel by the driver's and passenger's legs didn't fit perfectly they were fiddleable. It wasn't a big deal, but would have been easier LH to LH or RH to RH, but we don't have the supply of LH in UK do we?
I don't know how PMs work, and,as my earlier post shows I can't even work the smilies properly, but if you have any further queries by all means try to PM.

Malcolm

Is it possible to swap only the ignition barrel internals in order to use the same key for everything? Is there any sir of immobiliser?

As for the door. There is a dent in the drivers side door (actually it is a passenger side as it's a LHD) and that is why I want to swap it.

Greg

I've never tried it, but I would think you could swap the barrels over.

carat 3.6 amg said:
I've never tried it, but I would think you could swap the barrels over.

What is it that you are after exactly? As the dent in the door that I have is below the thin panel you could cover it with the later higher panel if that would be any good for you?

Greg

Thanks for all the info guys. I will keep you updated.

Greg

What is it that you are after exactly? As the dent in the door that I have is below the thin panel you could cover it with the later higher panel if that would be any good for you?

Greg

Thanks Greg, my car has the later mouldings so I'm intrested in that. If you get a chance could you send me a picture of the door?

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom